How to dual-boot 2.02 and Windows 98 from hd?

Booting, installing, newbie
davec51

How to dual-boot 2.02 and Windows 98 from hd?

#1 Post by davec51 »

Well, after using Puppy for some months as a live CD I took the plunge and installed Puppy on my HD, a 6.2 dwarf that's also groaning under W98. I opted to make a Wake Puppy floppy, renamed my save_3sf file, then named it back after the first Puppy boot. Great, I have all my configurations, dotpups, and so forth.
Now I can boot using the floppy. Without the floppy I boot to W98. The boot is now much longer than when I used the live CD (with pup202.sfs in my C Drive), and there are several keys I must stike in the process.
That's not what I wanted. Is there any way I can fix it so I have a dual boot, Puppy or Windows, with no more fuss than that?

WhoDo

Re: Sleepless in Puppyland

#2 Post by WhoDo »

davec51 wrote:Is there any way I can fix it so I have a dual boot, Puppy or Windows, with no more fuss than that?
Yep! Boot from CD, resize your Windows partition to leave enough free space for puppy (say 800Mb plus) and create a linux partition and a swap partition in that free space. [use GParted from the Puppy Configuration menu]

Then do a Normal setup to hard disk with GRUB installed to the Master Boot Record. [use Puppy Universal Setup from the Setup menu]

That will give you a GRUB menu on boot that will let you choose to boot either the Win98 or the Puppy partition. No WakePup required except for emergency purposes.

Hope that helps.

davec51

Dual Boot, Windows 98 and Puppy 2.0.2 Solved!

#3 Post by davec51 »

At first WhoDo's directions were a bit intimidating: How do I make a new partition? How big a swap file is big enough?
At first GParted wouldn't cooperate -- it didn't seem to want to let me create a new partition. Then I figured out that my hdb1 partition was sized for the whole HD. I resized. After that it was a piece of cake.
I'm kind of sorry that I have to configure from scratch, since I don't know how to move the info from the pup_save.3fs, but that's ok. I already deleted the .sfs, .3fs, and .swp files from the primary partition, so don't infuriate me by telling me how to do it.
Thanks to WhoDo for helping an inexpert user to install. Now if I can only get my two computers networked I'll be deliriously happy.
Thanks again.

r__hughes

Re: How to dual-boot 2.02 and Windows 98 from hd?

#4 Post by r__hughes »

That's not what I wanted. Is there any way I can fix it so I have a dual boot, Puppy or Windows, with no more fuss than that?
Check out pup4dos as one possible easy way - I've used it for pups 1.08 thru 2.02sm - right now I triple boot to W98SE, pup1.09ce & pup2.02sm

see discussions here......
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7650

download it from here....
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pup4DOS

davec51

Re: How to dual-boot 2.02 and Windows 98 from hd?

#5 Post by davec51 »

r__hughes wrote:
Check out pup4dos as one possible easy way - I've used it for pups 1.08 thru 2.02sm - right now I triple boot to W98SE, pup1.09ce & pup2.02sm

see discussions here......
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7650

download it from here....
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Pup4DOS
Too late, too late. I now have a perfect double boot with GRUB and no problems whatever. Your method would have avoided the dangers of partition, but what the heck!

WhoDo

Re: Dual Boot, Windows 98 and Puppy 2.0.2 Solved!

#6 Post by WhoDo »

davec51 wrote:At first WhoDo's directions were a bit intimidating: How do I make a new partition? How big a swap file is big enough?
At first GParted wouldn't cooperate -- it didn't seem to want to let me create a new partition.
My bad, Dave. I should have known better, since it's usually ME on the newbie side of a question! :oops:

A good "rule of thumb" for swap partition size is 2-2.5 times the size of your physical memory. I just assumed that running Win98 you wouldn't have much more than 64Mb - never assume, eh?:roll:
davec51 wrote:...[snip]...
Thanks to WhoDo for helping an inexpert user to install. Now if I can only get my two computers networked I'll be deliriously happy.
Thanks again.
You're welcome, Dave. If you have any questions about the networking, give a holler.

Cheers

edoc

#7 Post by edoc »

I booted a desktop with Puppy 2.10r1.

Using gparted on the 20g HDD I made the first 10g FAT32 (hda1), the next 8 Ext2 (hda2),
and then made 1.5g into a Swap File.

I set up GRUB and I did the save of settings to hda2 when I exited.

Now I cannot figure out how to install Win98 on hda1.

What did I do wrong?

Can I fix it or need I start over?

Anyone have a good paint-by-numbers for a Puppy 2.10r1 & Win98SE dual-boot HDD
install, please?

Thanks! doc
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

WhoDo

#8 Post by WhoDo »

edoc wrote: What did I do wrong?

Can I fix it or need I start over?

Anyone have a good paint-by-numbers for a Puppy 2.10r1 & Win98SE dual-boot HDD
install, please?

Thanks! doc
Hi Doc,

What you "did wrong" was to install Puppy and GRUB before you had installed Windows 98. That's ok. It can be fixed.

First reboot with your Puppy CD, open a console and run fdisk. Make sure that your hda1 partition is formatted to fat32 and made active with an assigned logical drive letter.

You then need to reboot from your Win98 CD, or FDD, run Setup and install Windows 98 to the first partition, which is the only partition that Win98 will allow you to install into.

Finally, reboot from your Puppy CD and reinstall GRUB. Then GRUB will see both OS's and let you boot either. Note that you don't have to reinstall the WHOLE Puppy partition.

Windows should take over the MBR (Master Boot Record) of your drive when you install it. You need to reinstall GRUB to be able to get back the access to your Puppy partition afterwards.

Hope that helps.

Cheers