Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jejy69

#681 Post by Jejy69 »

What also saddens me, it is that the name of Peebee is not even mentioned...

Hello Pchan,
I know you can use Xfwm4 inside Lxde, I search which file need to be edited.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

Eyes-Only

#682 Post by Eyes-Only »

Not sure if you are aware of it or not Jejy? But the way Distrowatch works is that YOU have to write about your distro to THEM, comprends-tu mon chum? ;) This is how Simplicity got all the "media coverage" there at Distrowatch. They wrote up what they wanted to appear at the Linux news media website and then submitted it to the owner, Ladislav Bodnar, or Jesse Smith, and then they personally reviewed the websites, materials, .iso files, etc., after which they will make any amendments to what you have written and then add the news about you.

So take good heart mon cher chum, d'accord? :)

A la prochaine fois!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

Jejy69

#683 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello Eyes-Only,

I badly expressed myself. I does not question Distrowatch, but simply what is written on the site of Simplicity:
We have also put more focus on Gslapt as the package manager rather than Puppy Package Manager because we feel Apt based package managers are far better when it comes to dependencies.
We hope that you enjoy using it as much as we have enjoyed developing it.
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/ima ... 1374733215

They did not even change the theme !

Distrowatch imports me little. I am not there for " Glory and fortune ". It is the comments of Simplicity who disturbs me.
It is obvious that I would never have a media coverage. But one more time I am not for that there.

Have a nice day.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

nancy reagan

That's what happens when you make great distroes

#684 Post by nancy reagan »

Jejy,

Let it be of -some- comfort to you that all this is because your work is TOP QUALITY.

You can post messages on their site. You could ask to share their paypal revenues with you ...

Demain est un autre jour, j'espere avec meilleures nouvelles :roll: ?

Jasper

#685 Post by Jasper »

Hi Jejy et al,

Those who visit simplicitylinux.org may find it mildly amusing to read about the unrivalled experience of the three "developers".

My understanding is it should be renamed Duplicity Linux.

@ Jejy - I believe you are already famous - both for your work and your charm.

My regards

Geoffrey

#686 Post by Geoffrey »

Jejy69 wrote:
We hope that you enjoy using it as much as we have enjoyed developing it.
They did not even change the theme !
Yeah was much the same when it was based on Carolina, never mind, we know who did all the hard work and that's all that matters.
Look at it as a compliment that your work was worth reproducing :wink: :D
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

natgab

#687 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:And after all that, no publication from distrowatch for Lxpup. it no longer useless, my progress on Gslapt, Lxde etc ... I am disgusted. Good for simplicity Linux. I'm on the verge of stopping it. Many disappointment.

Lxpup is dead, long life to Simplicity!
We have also put more focus on Gslapt as the package manager.
I'll cry.
--Jerome, I hope you will go and add Lxpup to Distrowatch. Let people know about the work you have done. All they will need to do is come here and see how long you have been working on this since your older versions.

Since you finished Lx pup 14, we understand if you take a break. But I hope you will consider still working on this project.
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

vicmz

#688 Post by vicmz »

natgab wrote:--Jerome, I hope you will go and add Lxpup to Distrowatch. Let people know about the work you have done. All they will need to do is come here and see how long you have been working on this since your older versions.

Since you finished Lx pup 14, we understand if you take a break. But I hope you will consider still working on this project.
I definitely agree. I wouldn't have written it better. Cheers.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

natgab

#689 Post by natgab »

I installed new version, and having trouble installing VLC & Pidgin I keep getting this trying to install with gslapt:

Code: Select all

Failed to download sdl: Missing MD5 checksum, override with -no-md5
Anybody know what else i need to enter into the terminal?
[b]Thinkpad T43[/b] / Pentium M 1.86Ghz / 2.0GB RAM / 100GB HD / 1024 x 768 XGA / Intel 915GM Video / Intel 8280FB Audio / Atheros AR5212 WIFI / DVD-CDRW-ROM / Ubuntu MATE 15.04 / LxPupTahr15.05

mikeslr

RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI not functioning

#690 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Jejy69,

As you've brought a fresh breath of customization to Puppy, I always look forward to trying out your latest creation. Unfortunately, for the first time an Lxpup --whether based on precise or slackware-- has not enabled my system to connect to the internet. My adapter is a RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI. Two of the three internet access applications did not recognize my adapter. The third, I think frisbee, reported that it saw my network but failed to connect, Sorry that I can't be more specific. Currently, Grub4dos's Menu.lst does not include Lxpup 14 final among its choices. I meant to report the problem right away but got distracted. And since then several new Pups came to my attention.

Any idea why this Slackware-based Pup is unable to do what it predecessors could?

mikesLr

gcmartin

Marketing LXPUP for the authors of LXPUP

#691 Post by gcmartin »

My comment Needs to be re-written.

The theme is that if there is a feeling of a moral injustice. Then is there some "will" to do the kind of things which can bring light to the contributions of developers whose work has been re-purposed without requesting approval for reuse?

The community can "collaborate" a solution helpful to all concerned.

Jejy69

#692 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello,

I wished to inform you about my intention to have a break, and to excuse me for my exaggerated reaction. A "light" trend to the impulsiveness. I do not wish to spit at the work of others.
Especially that the merit returns especially to B.Kauler and his team, 01micko for Slacko, I did not want to appropriate their work.

Nevertheless, I persist in the stop of lxpup. I do not manage to assure a suitable presence in case of bug ( And a lot of difficulty solving them also ), and I am not so present more than before.

I am going to reflect about it.

Here is... Next stage, I am going to take the wave! The Atlantic Ocean, here I am! 8)

Thanks all,

PS :

If you get this error, install with slapt-get in a terminal like this :

slapt-get -no-md5 --install sdl
Have a nice holiday !

natgab

#693 Post by natgab »

Jejy69 wrote:Hello,

I wished to inform you about my intention to have a break, and to excuse me for my exaggerated reaction. A "light" trend to the impulsiveness. I do not wish to spit at the work of others.
Especially that the merit returns especially to B.Kauler and his team, 01micko for Slacko, I did not want to appropriate their work.

Nevertheless, I persist in the stop of lxpup. I do not manage to assure a suitable presence in case of bug ( And a lot of difficulty solving them also ), and I am not so present more than before.

I am going to reflect about it.

Here is... Next stage, I am going to take the wave! The Atlantic Ocean, here I am! 8)

Thanks all,

PS :

If you get this error, install with slapt-get in a terminal like this :

slapt-get -no-md5 --install sdl
Have a nice holiday !
---I will try on a spare USB. I went back to 13.04 beta 6 for the moment and that works great. I will see if I can get Lx 14 version working.

P.S. Did you see the trailer for the Lego Movie? :D

Dean

#694 Post by Dean »

Nvm
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

Volhout

passing by ....

#695 Post by Volhout »

@Jejy69,

Wishing you all the hapiness in the world, and we will cherish your offspring Lxpup. Seeing you leave makes me sad, but that is how it goes..... in puppy-land. A wasteland (wasting of talent - land)....

I really wished Barry would stop playing with his individual releases and would start giving direction. Gather talented people and give puppy some structure. Puppy is gliding downhill in a fast pace, and in 3 years there won't be any puppy anymore. Users don't care if kernel 2.6.33 or kernel 3.10.1 is in their OS. They want a nice, fast (it is puppy!) and easy way to browse internet, see movies, listen to music, skype and mail.

01Micko is trying (on his own, respect man...!) to push puppy forward in a Slacko series, parallelled and completely independent by Barry's own Precise and Raring and Wary and .... versions, while Pesamu's Upups keep up (also on his own, only driven by his idea of what pupp should look like). But what is PUPPY ..??? If I look at distrowatch, and see puppy linux, am I looking at Slacko...or Precise... or ....? Is the new version 5.71 or 5.6beta2 ?

And then there are brilliant developers (Jemimah, Jejy69... etc) that have the capabilities to lift puppy to a higher level, but they can't do it on their own. They struggle for half a year, are drive over the edge (because it is more work than they can handle) and break down, or simply leave.
And (look in the eye candy thread) there are cosmetic artists that can change puppy into something really beautiful. No appeal is done to them to use their energy for the new release.

Why is there no-one that sees a future in puppy. Why do we waste so much energy in "non products". Put all noses in one direction, and you would be able to create something great.

Similar on the forum... The forum is mirroring the same lack of decisiveness.
There are "puppy projects", and "puppy derivatives". No one knows what puppy is where for what reason. And Barry Kaulers puppies only show up in the section "bug reports". Why ? Are they not projects ?

I can imagine that there are differences in opinion between developers, leading to a multitude of derivatives, but a strong "main stream" puppy would attract new users. And if mainstream is Slacko ... so be it, but let's make that clear. If mainstream is Ubuntu Raring, OK, but set a roadmap to get somewhere. Make a plan, share it, so (new) users know what puppy is, and will be.

I guess I should not post this here, since Jejy69 can't help it, and neither can most of the forum readers, but I sometimes get sad seeing energy and talent wasted(*), and wonder if it could have been prevented. I think Barry is the (historical) one to take the lead, and the only one with sufficient buy in from the developers still here to be acceptable.

Volhout

(*)= yes wasted... because Lxpup14 is not finished (same as puppeee, same as saluki, etc..). So if it works for you, great, but if not.... no one to help you now.... the only pup that had long term support (appart from 2.14X) was 528. And that is why in my opinion 528 is the last mainstream puppy.

Eyes-Only

#696 Post by Eyes-Only »

AMEN! Preach on Bother Volhout! I agree with you over 100% and I couldn't have voiced what you have said any better! I've been with Puppy since at least version 1.0.2 and you can only imagine how many brilliant developers I've seen come and go since I've been following - and using - Puppy.

It's very sad indeed because we could be so much higher than #10 at Distrowatch - and LXpup could lead us there!

Thanks for your wonderful post Volhout! I hope "Those That Be" will see it and give it some very serious thought...

Cheers/Amicalement,

Vive Puppy! Vive LXpup!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

natgab

Re: passing by ....

#697 Post by natgab »

Volhout

You have explained many of the problems that effect puppy very well. I think maybe if Barry got together with two or three of the main developers and made some sort of group consensus or guideline it would help Puppy a lot.

Many distros have more than one person in charge, Ubuntu may have Mark Shuttleworth on top but he delegates to different groups to be in charge of different items. Maybe if Puppy had a committee to set guidelines (LXDE vs. ROX, what core services to include, Gslapt vs. Puppy Pkg Manager) more work could get done. Barry could still continue his work on his individual projects knowing he had delegated different parts of puppy to different developers.

Personally I really love the work that Jejy69 has done with making a Puppy that defaults to LXDE. I don't want to make a anti-ROX rant, it just is not as accessible for Linux newbies. If Puppy was more organized, they could work on making LXDE puppies just as fast as the ROX puppies and more people would benefit from using Puppy on their older machines.

Just a little bit of my thoughts 8)

inoxidabile

#698 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody!
I would like to say something about, just my little opinion. :)
That's right, looking at so much version it's a clear leakage of resources.
It's not a question about the better solution, but obviously some directives and decisions would be useful in terms of focus on the point.
Moreover, I agree with Volhout about the needs of common people but beyond the reach of better ranking score in Distrowatch.
But, on the other hand, the "anarchy" here (as someone said about) gives the maximum degree of freedom and then of creativity. From a certain point of view it's a point of all open software.
Everyone can "build up" something, and the (relative) simplicity of Puppy helps... maybe there are "artistic solutions", also only few artistic changes or hard arguing about some versions (e.g. xp-like).

Yes, there are a lot of talents that are waste, but they would have done the same if there were some directives from someone (person or group) or in case of structure to work in?

I don't know if a compromise would be possible, clearly it would be need of authoritative. I think that Barry is no more available as active role, but maybe he could state some guidelines.

pprevoo

Gslapt error

#699 Post by pprevoo »

When I try to download google-chrome I keep getting the same error.
Failed to download polkit: Missing MD5 checksum, override with -no -md5
What can I do about this?

Pelo

LXPUP 13.01 I am late !

#700 Post by Pelo »

Is only english spoken here ? I'm late of one distro.
IS there a HOW-to somewhere ?

I had problem in setting recording (resolved by clicking capture in Retrovol GUI, but what about alsamixer, some bug ?)

LXDE is not my cup of tea, because when you don't know where in the menu is hidden what you want, you will be gropingly searching (à tâtons)
LXDE is for little screens as portable phones, in my opinion. Nevertheless, i know that i will find quality by using LXPUP.

I can choose my desktop :
I tried to change to KDE, reboot, but arrived on a strange screen.
As i know a little bit Puppy Linux, i typed xwin startKDE, unsuccessfully.
Startmate, unsuccessfully too.
StartLXDE : ah ! it works.
Why when we choose KDE in the WM menu, does'nt it start at reboot ?
Bonne journée