New strain of ransomware evades detection by anti virus apps

For discussions about security.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

New strain of ransomware evades detection by anti virus apps

#1 Post by Flash »

New strain of ransomware evades detection by AV apps
[quote]...the only requirements for HTML ransomware to work are JavaScript must be enabled, and the victim’s web browser incorporates the “Recover browser session after a crash

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

I had something similar that got the wife's PC.
It installed a program that would pop up a window for any application one tried to run saying the file was infected and to purchase and install their virus removal software.
I went in with Puppy, and deleted the active file.
But it took more searching as the file replicated/restored itself when it was determined it was deleted.

All in all it was an interesting experience that made me appreciate using Puppy to fix windows and also the peace of mind one has running Puppy.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

@8-bit -- my local tech shop calls that type of malware a "FakeAV" -- fake antivirus. I hear they're generally pretty nasty stuff.

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

Do you know if there are substitutes that can be used for Javascript and Flash that would be less prone to hacks?
As you say, the problem is that a lot of sites still use Javascript and Flash.
I do not know if Youtube's addition of HTML5 for videos is a good or bad thing.
I do know that until I changed my options to use the earlier software instead of HTML5, I was unable to view Youtube video.

linuxbear

#5 Post by linuxbear »

Doncha just love it when these Java apps try to show you that something is wrong with your C:\ drive when you're running Linux?

--- I haven't dealt with a virus in a while, but there used to be a site called "bleeping computer" which got me out of trouble a few times when my wife was still running windows.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/