Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
OscarTalks

#161 Post by OscarTalks »

Sylvander,

OK, so IF pBurn is definitely fully functional and nothing is getting broken then that looks like the way forward for anyone wanting to run the latest pBurn in Precise Puppy, at least for now. We are just installing a "custom" version of cdrtools-3 which installs only the needed files for our specific purpose. I guess at some point if BarryK decides to include cdrtools-3 he will sort it all out.

You do have quite a bundle of stuff installed. I was going to suggest booting pfix=ram and installing them one by one to see which were missing dependencies but that might take a few minutes. Perhaps someone can suggest a quicker way. Anyway, I guess the thing to do is (ignoring "core-utils") see if you can find and install missing dependencies via ppm or packages.ubuntu.com or something, but if everything is working then no urgency I suppose.
Oscar in England

Sylvander

#162 Post by Sylvander »

@OscarTalks
1. OUCH! Spoke too soon.
a. After installing cdrtools-3.01a16-cut-precise.pet, and manually saving the change...
I tested smm & TB, and both were working OK.
Then I rebooted back into Precise-5.7.1, and smm & TB were still working OK, and I reported that here in my above post.

b. Then I shutdown, and did other things.
Then came back and booted into Precise-5.7.1.
Used smm, which worked OK.
Used TB, and it was UNABLE to connect to the POP3 server.
So...

c. I used a 2nd Puppy to delete the precisesave file, and replace it with the backup copy made prior to making the changes/installations.
i.e. Now none of the 4 files are installed.

d. Hmmm...
Having restored a known good backup of the precisesave...
And booted into Precise-5.7.1...
I found that smm was failing to connect to the POP3 server. :?
But acting on a hunch...
I rebooted into Slacko-5.3.3.1...
Used smm there, and it connected OK, and said there was no mail [all mail previously fetched, and no new mail].
TB also worked and showed no mail.
SO....
Rebooted back into Precise-5.7.1...
Tried smm, and found that it was now functioning normally.
Don't know why I figured that might work [perhaps my subconscious knows what my conscious mind doesn't]...
But it did the job.
Any idea why? :?

ahoppin

#163 Post by ahoppin »

Precise 5.7.1's Pnethood won't connect to Windows or Samba shares.

Pnethood also doesn't work in Precise 5.6.1.

For every machine I try to connect to - Lucid Puppy 5.25 with Samba, Windows 2000, even Windows 98 - I get the message "Mount: <MACHINE_NAME> <sharename> failed. The server may be refusing you access to this share or your password may be incorrect. Please hit the <sharename> disconnect button to reset the display."

Pnethood fails for EVERY machine on my home net, whether it's running Puppy or Windows.

I tried the console command suggested by simes above. For the C drive on machine PIPKIN I used:

mount -t cifs /192.168.1.155/C -o sec=ntim,username=username,password=password /mnt/network/PIPKIN

It returns "mount error 22 - invalid argument."

Pnethood still works fine in Lucid. How can I get it to work in Precise? I was about to upgrade to Precise, but this problem has put the brakes on the upgrade.

Thanks.

Sylvander

#164 Post by Sylvander »

1. Hmmm...
Now experiencing a strange situation.
a. In Precise-5.7.1, neither smm nor TB is able to connect to the POP3 server.

b. If I then reboot into Slacko-5.3.3.1, both smm and TB WILL connect to the POP3 server and fetch.

c. If I then reboot back to Precise-5.7.1, both smm & TB will connect to the POP3 server and fetch.

d. I'm guessing that if I then reboot Precise-5.7.1, neither smm nor TB will be able to connect to the POP3 server.
I'll check whether that's so, and report back.
No, I'm wrong in thinking that, they still work OK after reboot.
I don't know what's going on. :?

rcrsn51

#165 Post by rcrsn51 »

ahoppin wrote:sec=ntim.
It's ntlm not ntim

OscarTalks

#166 Post by OscarTalks »

Sylvander,

I'm afraid there's not much more that springs to mind beyond the points I have already made, except to note that it seems from what you have said that you are now sometimes experiencing the problem even without having those 4 packages installed, which suggests that maybe it was a red herring that cdrtools-3 was the cause. As I said, difficult to troubleshoot with several unknowns in the equation.

What happens if you run the dependency checker in Slacko 5.3.3.1 ?

Are you sure that all those packages you have installed are suitable for Precise?
Oscar in England

shinobar

mounting Samba shares

#167 Post by shinobar »

ahoppin wrote:Precise 5.7.1's Pnethood won't connect to Windows or Samba shares.
pnethood-0.7.1
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87800

network_roxapp-0.8
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81808
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

bigpup

#168 Post by bigpup »

Anyone having these problems with Burniso2 CD?

Burniso2CD program:

Burn speed setting seems to have no affect on burn speed. No matter what setting, it burns at top speed of CD disk.

Multi-session burn option does not work. It still burns a closed disk.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

adrianespaña

5.7.1 retropuppyprecise not work.

#169 Post by adrianespaña »

5.7.1 retropuppyprecise not work.
kernel panic
No problems 5.7
travlmate 800 1.3 gb ram
the same problem that is already posted

Sylvander

#170 Post by Sylvander »

OscarTalks,

1. "maybe it was a red herring that cdrtools-3 was the cause"
I too had that thought...
Time will tell...
All seems to be working OK right now, with none of the 4 PET's installed, and functionality restored.
Certainly seems as though something involved in installing the 4 files started off this problem...
And with only the 3 PET files installed there was no problem.
Problem only appeared when cdrtools-3 PET was installed.
And after doing so, the problem seems to tend to persist even after uninstalling it.

2. "What happens if you run the dependency checker in Slacko 5.3.3.1 ?"
It seems to function just fine...
Different programs give different reports.
Sometimes nothing missing, sometimes there is something missing.
Haven't ever seen it report exactly the same things missing for more than 1 package.

3. "Are you sure that all those packages you have installed are suitable for Precise?"
No, not sure.
I do my best, but I'm no expert.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. More strangeness:
a. Just now booted into Precise-5.7.1 after I'd shutdown less than 1 hour back.
Tried to use smm, and it failed to connect...
So...

b. Rebooted back into Precise-5.7.1, and tried smm again, and it connected just fine.
So...

c. I figured perhaps [in "a" above] I'd tried to use smm too soon after reaching the desktop.
Perhaps a connection to the web had not yet been established at the moment I tried to connect smm to the POP3 server.
So...

d. I rebooted again, and connected ASAP...
Say 1 second or so after CPU usage was being displayed by Pwidgets .
But it connected just fine! :?
Beats me! :(

e. I phoned Virgin [my ISP] technical assistance, and told her the story of this, and asked if the POP3 server might be doing something to cause this.
She didn't know.
Only thing she could think of was perhaps a problem with the ports, but she says that shouldn't happen.
Something about the ports being chosen automatically.
Suggested I might try their other POP3 server; I don't fancy messing with something that has been working just fine for years.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Another problem! :(
a. Tried to log into my Amazon account, and couldn't.
Used the details held in my password vault, plus a CAPCHA, but it repeatedly failed [this normally NEVER happens to me].
So...

b. Rebooted into Slacko-5.3.3.1, and it worked 1st time. :?

6. Perhaps I shouldn't have updated the Precise-5.6.1 precisesave to Precise-5.7.1.
Mayhap I should start afresh with the Precise-5.7.1 CD-RW, and make a new precisesave.

simes

#171 Post by simes »

ahoppin wrote:Precise 5.7.1's Pnethood won't connect to Windows or Samba shares.

Pnethood also doesn't work in Precise 5.6.1.

For every machine I try to connect to - Lucid Puppy 5.25 with Samba, Windows 2000, even Windows 98 - I get the message "Mount: <MACHINE_NAME> <sharename> failed. The server may be refusing you access to this share or your password may be incorrect. Please hit the <sharename> disconnect button to reset the display."

Pnethood fails for EVERY machine on my home net, whether it's running Puppy or Windows.

I tried the console command suggested by simes above. For the C drive on machine PIPKIN I used:

mount -t cifs /192.168.1.155/C -o sec=ntim,username=username,password=password /mnt/network/PIPKIN

It returns "mount error 22 - invalid argument."

Pnethood still works fine in Lucid. How can I get it to work in Precise? I was about to upgrade to Precise, but this problem has put the brakes on the upgrade.

Thanks.
ahoppin,
As well as ntlm (instead of ntim) mentioned above, there should be a double slash (//) ahead of the server IP address. Also, probably obvious to you but just in case, you need to have created the directory /mnt/network/PIPKIN before issuing the mount command.

Sage

#172 Post by Sage »

Perhaps I shouldn't have updated the Precise-5.6.1 precisesave to Precise-5.7.1.
I already reported that 'Upgrade' is unsuccessful. The reason probably lies somewhere in the techno-stuff on BK's Blog?

Sylvander

#173 Post by Sylvander »

Sage wrote:I already reported that 'Upgrade' is unsuccessful.
Does that mean it's impossible for [any and all] "Upgrade" to succeed?
Or do you mean that it was unsuccessful when you tried it [one example of a lack of success]?

Sage

#174 Post by Sage »

Don't know. But, two reports suggest the former. As you may read, BK has made many changes recently. I don't pretend to understand most (all?!) of them, although the tenor of what he says often/sometimes points in that direction. Read and digest them for yourself and let us know what you can tease out?

ahoppin

Still no pnethood

#175 Post by ahoppin »

Shinobar, thanks, but regrettably the updated pnethood didn't help. I get exactly the same behavior.

Simes, thanks for the clarification on the mount syntax. I was able to mount shares from the Win2k box and from the Lucid 525 box that way.

The mount command didn't work for the Win98 machine on my net, though. It returned "mount error 112 = Host is down."

YASSM didn't work at all, for any machine. (I didn't realize until now that YASSM is built into Precise).

YASSM identifies the share on the Win98 machine as hidden@PIPKIN on the initial window, but on the login window, the Shares button discovers C (the C drive). It still won't mount the share, though; I get "No connection to C."

YASSM also won't connect to the Win2k box. Same deal as with the Win98 machine - "No connection to C."

Nor will YASSM connect to the Lucid 525 / Samba machine.

So, YASSM is a total bust here.

The old Lucid 525 Pnethood still works fine for finding and mounting shares from everything on my network.

Maybe I'll try the retro version of Precise 5.7.1, which I think has an older kernel. If that doesn't work, I might have to put off the upgrade for a while to see if this problem resolves in a later update.

Thanks again for trying!

EDIT: I tried Retro, with some progress. Pnethood 0.7.i18n in Precise 5.7.1 Retro connects smoothly and quickly to Lucid 525's samba shares, and also to the Win2k shares.

Regrettably, Retro still does NOT connect to the Win98 shares. Same error as above: "Mount: PIPKIN C failed. The server may be refusing you access ... "

Pnethood 0.7.1 installed on Precise 5.7.1 Retro acts exactly the same as Pnethood 0.7.i18n.

YASSM - same results. Works for the Lucid box and the Win2k box, fails to connect to the Win98 machine's shares.

Looks like I'll be staying with Lucid 525 for a while longer.

In all fairness, I've been spoiled a bit by Puppy and the way it "just works." Very seldom do I run into problems like this one.

rcrsn51

Re: Still no pnethood

#176 Post by rcrsn51 »

ahoppin wrote:YASSM - same results. Works for the Lucid box and the Win2k box, fails to connect to the Win98 machine's shares.
Did you see the instructions in the YASSM Help for Win98 shares?

FeodorF

Quick test report (desktop pc)

#177 Post by FeodorF »

Operating System: Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Kernel Version: Linux 3.9.11 (i686)
Date/Time: Thu 08 Aug 2013 01:52:03 AM GMT-1

Processor: Pentium III 850MHz (Coppermine)
Memory: 1293MB (132MB used)
Board: Gigabyte Technology 6VX7-4X / VIA694X / 686A, BIOS AMI 62710 10/03/2000

Display Resolution: 1600x900 pixels
OpenGL: radeon, Mesa DRI R100 (RV100 5159) x86/MMX/SSE NO-TCL DRI2
AGP Card: ATI RV100 QY (Radeon 7000/VE) 64MB

Audio Adapter VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev20

Input Devices: Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Input Devices: LITEON Technology USB Multimedia Keyboard

eth0: RealTek RTL-8139 Fast Ethernet driver

Disks: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B
--------------------------------------------------------
Works fine.
Last edited by FeodorF on Fri 09 Aug 2013, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Precise Puppy 5.7.1

#178 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to the hard drive of a hp desktop pc.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 7 Aug 2013 on Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Linux 3.9.11 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller:
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV530 [Radeon X1600]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RV530 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV530
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
292 frames in 5.0 seconds = 58.310 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.906 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.884 FPS

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+
Core 0: @2411 MHz
Linksys WUSB54GC v1 802.11g Adapter [Ralink RT73]

It's working well.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(38.95 KiB) Downloaded 1450 times

scsijon

for 5.7.1-retro iso

#179 Post by scsijon »

one problem with a sort of partial fix, one missing? puppy package

problem is when trying to start the gnome-mplayer:
Barry's sugestion did nothing:
So I tried starting it from the console and got a heap of errors, which all basically led back to being related to the /etc/asound.conf being corrupted or old with the 'sugestion' to remove it
I renamed it
gnome-mplayer now starts ok but still won't play DVD's out of the box.

missing
Could not find our lovely Ogle already installed. Is it deliberate or just something that was skipped?

regards

Billtoo

Re: for 5.7.1-retro iso

#180 Post by Billtoo »

scsijon wrote: gnome-mplayer now starts ok but still won't play DVD's out of the box.
rcrsn51 has a pet for playing DVD movies:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87749
Attachments
PeasyDVD.jpg
(44.92 KiB) Downloaded 1190 times