Remastering breaks pgprs

Using applications, configuring, problems
koulaxizis

Remastering breaks pgprs

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

Hello Puppy friends!

I have met a slight problem after remastering a Slacko iso and i need your help! Note: I have met the same problem before with Puppy Precise.

I don't have a wired or wireless internet connection, so i use a gprs modem (3g usb stick). After the remaster process, on the new iso, pgprs connect is broken and i can't connect through gprs any more!

I suppose that i have to reset completely the pgprs script before remastering and run it all over again on the new iso, but i have no idea how to do that!

Can you help me somehow?

R-S-H

#2 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

I had this problem already when using Lucid Puppy 528-4 to make the LazY Puppy of. Since these times I do generally remaster only after a fresh reboot into RAM, no save file.

I do my work, save the files onto a ext3 partition, do a reboot, copy the files into the system and start immediately the Remaster Suite - the one and only program I do use in between, is the default text editor.

Also I did run into a problem in precise when remastering: it could not boot into desktop and wanted me to enter settings for language, keyboard, screensize etc.

After installing my LazY Puppy Remaster Suite into this Precise (5.6) and using this to remaster, it booted straight up to the desktop again.

Here is an early version, that might work/help.
Please note my last posts in this thread
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

koulaxizis

#3 Post by koulaxizis »

I'll try your way! Thanks for your answer brother, it was really helpful! :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

pgprs-shell |-setup |-connect use files in /etc/* ppp/* peers .

Make sure that altered files in /root and /etc flush into the remaster .

Also make sure that the /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe does not load/install the /lib/modules/all-firmware/option files or tarball again into /etc/init.d/Option .
It checks

Code: Select all

firmware_module_func(){
[ .. ]
FIRMPKG=`cat /etc/modules/firmware.dep.$KERNVER  | grep -v '^#' | grep ':' | grep -E "$FPATTERN" | cut -f 1 -d ':' | head -n 1`
if [ -f /lib/modules/all-firmware/${FIRMPKG}.tar.gz ];then
cp -af /lib/modules/all-firmware/${FIRMPKG}.tar.gz /tmp ##>/dev/null 2>&1
   cd /tmp
   tar -zxf ${FIRMPKG}.tar.gz ##>/dev/null 2>&1
fi
[ .. ]
}
On newer Pups it is no .tar.gz anymore - they should be extracted and copied.

Proper remastering is such a difficult task ! Have Fun Anyway !

koulaxizis

#5 Post by koulaxizis »

Thank you for that! I 'll try this way too!
I am not a programmer, nor a developer, i 'm just experimenting and trying to discover all Puppy possibilities! :)

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

Rather than encouraging users to carve up puppy to work around its limitations, I am working on a reimplementation of pgprs (as well as adding it to frisbee) to make it conform to the way puppy does business. I have long been concerned that pgprs misuses some puppy features, but now see where its design interferes with remastering and probably with updating between puppy versions.

I am nearly ready to post a test version of the re-do, but need those of you with the wireless modems to verify that my new version still works as well as before. I do not have hardware for testing, so rely on others for verification. Please give me a bit more time, after which I probably will post the first version here. I am calling it pgprs-1.5 and making a new package for it (instead of building it into puppy -- this is consistent with recent practice relative to woof).
Richard

koulaxizis

#7 Post by koulaxizis »

rerwin wrote:Rather than encouraging users to carve up puppy to work around its limitations, I am working on a reimplementation of pgprs (as well as adding it to frisbee) to make it conform to the way puppy does business. I have long been concerned that pgprs misuses some puppy features, but now see where its design interferes with remastering and probably with updating between puppy versions.

I am nearly ready to post a test version of the re-do, but need those of you with the wireless modems to verify that my new version still works as well as before. I do not have hardware for testing, so rely on others for verification. Please give me a bit more time, after which I probably will post the first version here. I am calling it pgprs-1.5 and making a new package for it (instead of building it into puppy -- this is consistent with recent practice relative to woof).
Richard
I'm looking forward to test your application and help with any way i can! Take your time, i'll be around waiting... ;)

rerwin

Upgraded pgprs-1.5

#8 Post by rerwin »

koulaxizis,
I have something for you to try! I reconfigured the internals of pgprs so that remaster can include the existing setup. In the process, I cleaned up a few human-factors things. Please feel free to criticize my changes, as I want to improve the user experience.

The noticeable difference is that I removed the "Pgprs Setup" menu item but retained the "Pgprs Connect" entry. If Pgprs has not been set up or does not have a device or APN specified, the setup window will appear. Otherwise, to get to the setup window, click the 'connect' icon and then "Wireless GPRS modem". "Pgprs Connect" will now always appear in the menu, instead of only when PGPRS has been selected for use.

The attached package contains both the improved" pgprs-1.5, but also an updated remasterpup2 script. (They will be in separate packages when I submit them to puppy.) Once the package is installed, set up PGPRS the way you want it, then run the remaster tool.

HOWEVER, do two special things during processing of the "/etc" directory:
1. When asked about "customising" the /etc file, click "Yes" (to include your current PGPRS settings).

2. When you are allowed to add files to the "/tmp/etc" directory, you need to run a "helper" script to copy some new pgprs components. To do that. click on the "file" icon on the desktop, then find the file in the window that pops up, pgprs_remaster_etc_helper, and click it. It won't appear to do anything, but some files will be added to /tmp/etc/ppp. Then continue the remaster process.

Your new master puppy should start PGPRS with the settings you entered originally.

Although I have done what I can to work out any "kinks", I cannot verify that PGPRS actually works as you expect. I need you to test it and report your results, good or bad, but especially if bad. Thanks for your help with this.
Richard
Attachments
pgprs-remaster_prototype-20130818.pet
Upgraded PGPRS with customized remaster of PGPRS.
For testing only.
(20.91 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Last edited by rerwin on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

koulaxizis

#9 Post by koulaxizis »

I will test it as soon as possible (probably today) but i already have a question:
When asked about "customising" the /etc file, click "Yes" (to include your current PGPRS settings).
This will customise the remaster to my hardware. Isn't this bad for the other users who will try the ISO on their machines, wouldn't cause problems?

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

/etc/.XLOADED , /etc/asound.state and /etc/X11/xorg.conf are the main hardware related configuration files in /etc I am aware of .
/etc/init.d/ directory could be left pristine, too .
/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG , /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG should probably be unchanged also .

koulaxizis

#11 Post by koulaxizis »

Karl Godt wrote:/etc/.XLOADED , /etc/asound.state and /etc/X11/xorg.conf are the main hardware related configuration files in /etc I am aware of .
/etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG , /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE and /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG should probably be unchanged also .
Thanks for that! I'll run the tests soon and let you know! :)

rerwin

#12 Post by rerwin »

koulaxizis wrote:This will customise the remaster to my hardware. Isn't this bad for the other users who will try the ISO on their machines, wouldn't cause problems?
Yes it is (bad). I understood your request to be to preserve your GPRS settings in a remaster. That seems like customising, to me. That's why I implemented the change that way.

Could you tell me more about what you need to accomplish with such a change. Maybe there is a better way to handle that.

If you need a generic remaster but with a GPRS setup common to all users of that remaster, that is neither generic nor customised. The best way to handle that is to create a generic remaster but also copy the file, /etc/ppp/pgprs.conf to /tmp/etc/ppp/ (as well as clicking on 'pgprs_remaster_etc_helper') when prompted for additional changes to the /tmp/etc directory. This should work with the new prototype I provided, but not with the original pgprs. That is all the new remasterpup does, but only during customisation.

BTW, the helper script will not be necessary once pgprs-1.5 is built into a puppy distro being remastered.
Richard

rerwin

#13 Post by rerwin »

Karl Godt wrote:/etc/.XLOADED , /etc/asound.state and /etc/X11/xorg.conf are the main hardware related configuration files in /etc I am aware of .
Karl,
The only one of those files copied for customisation is xorg.conf. If you feel it is important to add asound.state to that, only Barry can make that call.

Regarding .XLOADED, that has recently been moved to /root. Barry modified remasterpup2 for that, but assumed that there would always be present a modules.dep.inst.* file, even though it is conceivable that no firmware would get copied (because only a small subset of drivers use a firmware tarball/directory). I modified his change to test for .XLOADED in /root and to set a switch for the /etc-directory processing logic to test, and then to assume that both the /root and /etc directories have been completely copied to /tmp (at the appropriate points). As this option is only for an unofficial use of remasterpup (to make a "boot disk"), it is the user's responsibilty to comply with the requirement that both be copied.
Richard