Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
broomdodger

Re:ReRe DPMS problem

#221 Post by broomdodger »

FeodorF wrote:o.K. , there we go, I have moved the entry to the top of '/root/.xinitrc'
FeodorF
I would put it AFTER... because .xset.sh if set, can reset yours when you restart the computer.

broomdodger

rtcwake

#222 Post by broomdodger »

Has any tried and sucessfully used 'rtcwake' ?

Code: Select all

which rtcwake
/usr/sbin/rtcwake
I tried a short test but got an error:

rtcwake -s 33
rtcwake: /dev/rtc not enabled for wakeup events
How to setup '/dev/rtc' ?
rtcwake -h
rtcwake: invalid option -- 'h'
BusyBox v1.21.0 (2013-02-18 15:57:06 WST) multi-call binary.

Usage: rtcwake [-a | -l | -u] [-d DEV] [-m MODE] [-s SEC | -t TIME]

Enter a system sleep state until specified wakeup time

-a,--auto Read clock mode from adjtime
-l,--local Clock is set to local time
-u,--utc Clock is set to UTC time
-d,--device=DEV Specify the RTC device
-m,--mode=MODE Set the sleep state (default: standby)
-s,--seconds=SEC Set the timeout in SEC seconds from now
-t,--time=TIME Set the timeout to TIME seconds from epoch

FeodorF

Re:ReRe DPMS problem

#223 Post by FeodorF »

@ BarryK

Could you please have a look at /usr/bin/pupx.sh ?

The main problem is, that one can activate/deactivate the DPMS feature, but being unable to change the value of 'Standby'-'Suspend'-'Off' via '/usr/bin/pupx.sh'.

urxvt: # xset q

Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000002
  XKB indicators:
    00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    on     02: Scroll Lock: off
    03: Shift Lock:  off    04: Group 2:     off    05: Mouse Keys:  off
  auto repeat delay:  660    repeat rate:  25
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffdfffdffdef
                        ffffffffffffffff
                        ffffffffffffffff
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  20/10    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  60    cycle:  600
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
  /usr/share/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/X11/fonts/TTF/,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 600    Suspend: 600    Off: 600
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On
Regards,
FeodorF

Monsie

Re: DPMS problem

#224 Post by Monsie »

FeodorF wrote:Hi, Monsie!

Do you like to try something else about the DPMS problem?

open '/root/.xinitrc', change line number 98 to: 'xset s 60 10 s blank' and add a new line with: 'xset dpms 0 0 60' next to it. (... save and reboot)

87   if [ -f /root/.xset.sh ];then
88   #this is created by /usr/bin/pupx...
89   eval "/root/.xset.sh"
90  else
91   ##Xorg has it's own fontpath settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf...
92   #if [ "`readlink /usr/bin/X`" != "Xorg" ];then
93   # #xset fp+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/
94   # #xset fp+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
95   # xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/
96   # xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/
97   #fi
98   xset s 60 10 s blank
99   xset dpms 0 0 60
100 fi
Explanation: 60 seconds after the start of 'xlock' DPMS will power off your screen. (later on) As soon as you move your mouse the screen will be powered back up and xlock will ask you for your password. I you want to add more time just change the value of line 99 form '60'(s) to whatever.

Cheers,
Feodor
Thanks, Feodor

Earlier, I considered xinitrc but I was looking for references to xlock, and when I didn't find anything, I set that idea aside --at least for the time being-- so, I was happy to read your reply because it made me feel that at least I was getting on the right track in terms of solving this problem... :)

Anyway, it turned out that while I was able to use xlock with DPMS disabled, my system was rendered mostly unusable after an extended period of inactivity... When I returned to the desktop some eight hours later, (I was able to unlock the screen) I found my system clock was frozen, and, although I was able to move the mouse cursor, I could not use the menu or click on any icons to open any applications. :(

My thoughts are that my computer prefers power management despite its age... --even if it is not fully ACPI compliant.

I am now testing my system with DPMS enabled as per your instructions for modifying xinitrc and, following another eight hour period of inactivity, everything seems to be working okay. :) I think I will make some adjustments to the timing, so that there is a longer delay before my screen goes blank... Other than that, it's looking good! If I have any further issues or related questions, I will follow up with another post.

Thanks again,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

scsijon

Re: gnome-mplayer and dvd's under precise 571 retro

#225 Post by scsijon »

rcrsn51 wrote:
scsijon wrote:If I set both audio and subtitles as au, I get subtitles as australian english, however audio is japanese. Unless I set subtitles as none, I don't get australian english audio.
At the risk of beating this issue to death, here are some more thoughts.

a. AFAIK, "au" is not a language code - it's a country code. So using it in the front-end menu won't have any meaningful effect.

b. In my tests, these settings have no effect in menu mode.

c. Whether you are in non-menu or menu mode, your best choice for language/subtitle selection is to use the # and j keys during playback. I can't tell from your reports if you have tried this.

d. For the sake of comparison, do you have a regular DVD made for the Australian market to test? Clearly, there is something different about your Anime discs that causes problems with MPlayer.
Yes, I know but it's getting to me.....

In short answer,

a- These are what the front end seems to use and are what is in their list so it's what I am using. I wonder if there is a translation table that needs updating/extending somewhere?

b- Interesting, may be part of the problem as I would expect it too.

c- Already tried that and with no differance on the dvd set I was using, will have a go again with the others.

d- same results with other multi-lingual dvd's, and all the dvd's tested are created for Region 4 which is suppose to include Australia.

But what gets me most of all is that Ogle just works, while the others are having problems. Guess it just shows how mature the package is.

regards
scsijon

scsijon

Re: gnome-mplayer and dvd's under precise 571 retro

#226 Post by scsijon »

broomdodger wrote:
scsijon wrote:Thanks broomdodger, I implemented it and it works nicely, I also found the headphone audio o/p is down by default. Turning it up fixed my volume problem. Also your attached zip file is empty????
scsijon, thank you for the feedback. I just downloaded mixer.zip with Seamonkey and QtWeb and both were good.
Bill
Thanks bill, I had downloaded and just opened the zip and the file is marked as zero bytes and shown empty in geany. Now what the......?

However, building my own from your instructions worked anyway, so i'm not that fussed, but it is strange. I shall try again.

EDIT: Just tried it and it's now right at 53 bytes, very strange as I didn't get an error message the last time.

Oh, well, that's the internet for you.

rcrsn51

#227 Post by rcrsn51 »

@scsijon:

It surprises me that your Region 4 discs would behave so differently from my Region 1 discs with respect to # and j. It would be nice if some other Aussies in the forum would reply.

BK briefly had a version of Ogle in the 5.7 betas. There were numerous complaints that it didn't work at all, so he removed it.

WB7ODYFred

Script file to install Java JRE from Oracle

#228 Post by WB7ODYFred »

What do you think of a shell script file to install Java JRE from Oracle? Musher0 has created such a script file. I suggest this be included into PuppyLinux, to make it easy for new users to install Java on their new PuppyLinux. Test it out and report back to this thread if it works for you, please.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=36 Use Musher0 Instl-Java.sh shell script file. It does it all for you including downloading the Java JRE file from the internet.

http://puppylinux.info/topic/ssetting-u ... n-slacko54 AARFs manual setup of Java JRE 7u25 version.

Fred's Notes on Java related to PuppyLinux.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 983252bdca

rg66

#229 Post by rg66 »

There's a typo in installpkg.sh on line 227: *.pkg.tar.zx) #130314 arch pkgs.

Even if it's corrected, it doesn't create *.files in /root/.packages and the user-installed-packages entry is messed up so the package will also not uninstall. Precise 5.6.1 is the same.

||||Graphic|||ristretto-0.6.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz||Look at your images easily|

# petget /mnt/sdb1/Linux/Puppy/archpup/ristretto-0.6.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
DLPKG_BASE=ristretto-0.6.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz
DLPKG_NAME=
DB_ENTRY=|||||||ristretto-0.6.3-3-i686.pkg.tar.xz|||
db_pkg_name=
EXIT="OK"
Looks like the problem is in petget.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

vicmz

Pmount

#230 Post by vicmz »

In the Pmount preferences, by checking the "single window" or "single tab view" box and restarting Pmount nothing happens, Pmount keeps showing volumes in separate tabs.

Apart from that working really well on my P4 computer (PAE version).
Hardinfo wrote:Computer
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz
Memory 1024MB (463MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Precise Puppy - 5.7.1
User Name root (root)
Date/Time vie 16 ago 2013 12:11:55 ART
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5
Input Devices
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Monsie

Precise Puppy 5.7.1

#231 Post by Monsie »

Hi all,

Here's an update on my issues with xlock and power management in Precise Puppy retro.

My problems persisted with my computer freezing up even though sometimes it was many hours later that I would experience such issues. After some research and experimentation, I think that I have finally achieved a permanent solution... :D

Here's what I have figured out:

The crux is that the default settings for power management namely: standby, suspend, and power off are set to the same value, namely: 600 (seconds). This doesn't work, of course, because you cannot have effective power management if the system is trying to achieve three different states at the same time!

I can easily change this with xset command:

xset dpms 1200 1800 2400
where the values are in seconds for each power management state, which (by the way) are the settings used in Wary 5.3 and are also apparently the default settings according to the documentation regarding xset. The problem here is that any changes xset makes are session specific only. This is useful for testing configurations but I want something permanent. It turns out that I can do that in xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
	 Identifier "Default Layout"
	 Screen "Screen0" 0 0
	 InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
	 InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	 Option "StandbyTime" "20"
    Option "SuspendTime" "30"
    Option "OffTime" "40"
EndSection
Note that the values entered for power management in xorg.conf are in minutes whereas the values listed with xset are in seconds. This is potentially a source for confusion, and, (I suspect) what can happen when you have more than one developer working on related projects... Interestingly enough, I haven't figured out yet where the permanent values for power management are actually set in Wary Puppy, but, it is not in xorg.conf so, (as is often the case in configurations) there is more than one method to get this result.

Last, I reset the values for the screen to blank out and cycle in .xintrc to be the same as in Wary 5.3

else
 ##Xorg has it's own fontpath settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf...
 #if [ "`readlink /usr/bin/X`" != "Xorg" ];then
 # #xset fp+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/
 # #xset fp+ /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/
 # xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1/
 # xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF/
 #fi
 xset s 600 600 s blank
fi
This means the screen will blank out, and cycle after ten minutes although (to be honest) I could not find any info from my research as to exactly what is the cycle function.

I want to emphasize that I am using the same values for power management as in Wary 5.3 because that is what works for me, but I do think there is room for adjustment in xorg.conf

Option "StandbyTime" "10"
Option "SuspendTime" "20"
Option "OffTime" "30"
I think this would work nicely because it means that the time that the screen blanks is going to be the same as when the computer goes into standby mode. If these two events go hand in hand, then who knows, it might even result in better power management overall... --worth a try I think.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Monsie

Precise Puppy 5.7.1

#232 Post by Monsie »

Hi vicmz,
In the Pmount preferences, by checking the "single window" or "single tab view" box and restarting Pmount nothing happens, Pmount keeps showing volumes in separate tabs.
I cannot reproduce this issue in Precise Puppy-retro... Pmount seems to be working fine for me. Could this issue only be occurring in the regular version of Precise Puppy?

Monsie

vicmz

psync scripts v2.9

#233 Post by vicmz »

These are gettexted scripts of Psync as in Precise 5.7.1 (v2.9). I've seen it wasn't localized yet.
Attachments
psync_gettext_scripts-2.9-p571.tar.gz
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

broomdodger

Re: Precise Puppy 5.7.1

#234 Post by broomdodger »

Monsie wrote:Interestingly enough, I haven't figured out yet where the permanent values for power management are actually set in Wary Puppy, but, it is not in xorg.conf so, (as is often the case in configurations) there is more than one method to get this result.
Hi Monsie
Try adding your xset commands AFTER the xset in '.xinitrc'.
The following is mine...
+ slow the mouse
+ I do not like screensavers
+ your display power settings

if [ -f /root/.xset.sh ];then
 #this is created by /usr/bin/pupx...
 eval "/root/.xset.sh"
else
 #fi
 xset s 600 600 s blank
fi

# mouse acc=1 thr=32
  xset m 1/1 32

# screensaver off
  xset s blank s noexpose s 0 0

# Standby Suspend Off in seconds
  xset dpms 1200 1800 2400
Use this command in terminal just after a restart to check the xset values:

xset -q
Bill

Monsie

Re: Precise Puppy 5.7.1

#235 Post by Monsie »

broomdodger wrote:
Monsie wrote:Interestingly enough, I haven't figured out yet where the permanent values for power management are actually set in Wary Puppy, but, it is not in xorg.conf so, (as is often the case in configurations) there is more than one method to get this result.
Hi Monsie
Try adding your xset commands AFTER the xset in '.xinitrc'.
The following is mine...
+ slow the mouse
+ I do not like screensavers
+ your display power settings

if [ -f /root/.xset.sh ];then
 #this is created by /usr/bin/pupx...
 eval "/root/.xset.sh"
else
 #fi
 xset s 600 600 s blank
fi

# mouse acc=1 thr=32
  xset m 1/1 32

# screensaver off
  xset s blank s noexpose s 0 0

# Standby Suspend Off in seconds
  xset dpms 1200 1800 2400
Use this command in terminal just after a restart to check the xset values:

xset -q
Bill
Thanks, broomdodger

I tried your method and after a brief test, it appears to work for me also. It is always useful to know of alternative configurations. 8)

That said, I have read several reports covering the past three years where users have complained of bugs with xset. This of course, is all the more reason why it is useful to know of options when it comes to troubleshooting...

Monsie

FeodorF

DPMS support for older grahpic cards

#236 Post by FeodorF »

Hi Monsie.

Would you like 'to waste some time' with Slacko 5.6 (K-3.10.5 [X.org:1.12.4]) as this X.org version supports old graphic cards. It also implements support for 'DPMS-enabled'.

If an individual card is capable or not can be read right there: /var/log/X.org.0.log. An example file is right there:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 773#719773

Thanks for testing!

vzool

Precise Puppy 5.7.1 kernel-src

#237 Post by vzool »

Hi,

:D Thanks for everyone whose working in this pretty project :D

I want to install virtualbox in Precise Puppy 5.7.1
And I don't found a copy for the kernel 3.9.11

What can I do to solve this problem, help please?

thanks in advance

scsijon

ogle

#238 Post by scsijon »

Just an update for anyone interested (then i'll shut up on the subject).

Had my godchilds two kids over the weekend, I kept them happy in the cold with 2 machines setup with 571 and the latest ogle from the wary-5 package directory, no problems at all with either theirs or my dvd's.

regards
scsijon

Volhout

precise

#239 Post by Volhout »

I hope Barry read this thread, and maybe able to shed his light on this one too:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 757#720757

Topic is about a FAT version, like an LTS release every 2 years.

I think his advise could be very valuable.

ASRI éducation

Re: precise

#240 Post by ASRI éducation »

Good ideas.
To be continued ...
Projet ASRI éducation => [url=http://asri-education.org/]Association[/url] | [url=http://forum.asri-education.org/]Forum[/url] | [url=http://dl01.asri-education.org/]Dépôt[/url] | [url=http://kids.asri-education.org/]Espace kids[/url]