OneSwitch pet - control a PC using a single switch

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Focusing & Function Keys

#81 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek and All,

Considering moving the Function Keys to the keypad as a possible remedy for target applications obscuring the keyboard, I turned Function Keys off using xvkbd's menu. Although examining the config file for xvkbd's strip keyboard indicates that function keys can be assigned to the keys on the keypad, doing so and turning the keyboard function keys off won't alleviate the overlap problem. The remaining keys on the keyboard increase in size vertically so that the keyboard occupies the same screen-space.
But in exploring the 1Switch keyboard again I think there can be some improvement. Although, in building a keyboard I use the computer's built-in keyboard and mouse, I always test the results using radar. Radar, in xvkbd-linear mode, begins its automatic scroll pattern at the left top corner. I placed the spacebar there reasoning that it would be one of the most frequently used keys. I now wonder if radar's default timing provides sufficient opportunity to press the "button" before the cursor will have scrolled below top row. And, if the spacebar isn't the "first" key, what key would you recommend as the first key?
I placed an Esc Key on each row. Pressing the "button" while the cursor is over an Esc key does nothing other than returning the cursor to the start of its scroll pattern. Esc keys enable easy recovery if the cursor is scrolling on the wrong row. Most are near the end of their rows, so also serve to return the cursor to the start of the pattern rather than allowing the cursor to scroll beyond the keyboard and enduring the time it would take to re-enter xvkbd mode. But, I wonder if they might be better placed near the middle of the row? Perhaps a "Beginner's" keyboard until the user becomes familiar with the characters appearing on each row. I know I had to "Esc" several times having "missed" the correct row, or having pressed the "button" too soon, starting the right-ward scroll on the wrong row.
Can either of these concerns be handled through adjustments in radar's config file? Frankly, I'm not certain what each parameter is supposed to accomplish?
Regarding having to focus on a target application rather than respond to a mis-directed keypress: Radar's toggle works well to change focus. It takes far less time to send a "backspace" to erase a misplaced keypress followed by radar's toggling to the desired target, than maneuvering to the focus key, then allowing the mouse-cursor to scroll off the keyboard, manually directing the cursor onto the desired target application's title bar, sending a keypress and then re-entering xvkbd mode to begin commence typing.

mikesLr

greengeek

Re: Focusing & Function Keys

#82 Post by greengeek »

mikeslr wrote:The remaining keys on the keyboard increase in size vertically so that the keyboard occupies the same screen-space.
But the geometry of the keyboard is easy to control at start time. Do I understand your meaning correctly - are you wanting to reduce the keyboard height?
...begins its automatic scroll pattern at the left top corner. I placed the spacebar there reasoning that it would be one of the most frequently used keys. I now wonder if radar's default timing provides sufficient opportunity to press the "button" before the cursor will have scrolled below top row. And, if the spacebar isn't the "first" key, what key would you recommend as the first key?
Good point - there is insufficient time to think about clicking a row, before the cursor has already gone past it. The first key almost needs to be the least valuable one. (in fact - may be some value in keeping the function keys just as a "filler row" to allow the senses time to register the cursor position).
Regarding having to focus on a target application rather than respond to a mis-directed keypress: Radar's toggle works well to change focus. It takes far less time to send a "backspace" to erase a misplaced keypress followed by radar's toggling to the desired target,
What do you mean by the toggle? Maybe I haven't used this mode enough to grasp what you are referring to...

mikeslr

Mispoke -- meant radar cycle mode

#83 Post by mikeslr »

Hi greengeek,

You correctly understood: My intention had been to reduce the keyboard height by turning off the top, Function key, row. But you're also correct on two other points: (1) the keyboard can be reduced in size so that it will, at startup, be smaller and (2) the first key --and by extension-- the first row should house seldom used key-values to provide the user with a "filler row" to "to allow the senses time to register the cursor position."
I mis-spoke when I used the term "toggle." I meant cycle. I took the attached screenshot after I invoked radar's cycle mode. At the time I had geany, abiword and opera opened. radar --cycling focus among them-- shows that at that moment pressing the "button" would have assigned focus to geany. Geany's border also reflects that. [I also had had mtpaint snapshot open, but had set it to take a screenshot automatically after a given amount of time. Mtpaint snapshot had been among the applications offered for focus by an icon which, however, "disappeared" in the interval between triggering the snapshot and its effectuation]*.
By the way, the system appearing in the snapshot is pemasu's raring 3.9.9.1** to which vicmz's OpenboxPlus with lxpanel was added. The icons theme is faenza_lrx recommended by ETP, although few of its icons appear. Other visual effects recommended by ETP were also employed. This is currently the system I'd recommend for two reasons: (1) When only one application is open, Openbox assigns focus to it automatically; and (2) although to take the screenshot I set the second --left-edge-- panel to always show, it is usually set to hide the launcher's unless moused-over. As it shows, the left-panel can be populated with large launchers of commonly needed applications, fairly easily activated by radar in "move cursor then click" mode. The launchers on the bottom panel can also be resized. But that would require either moving or eliminating the desktop drive icons. The latter may be preferred with the addition of a bottom launcher for rox to open to the home partition: by creating a new desktop file in /usr/share/applications whose executable is “rox /mnt/home
Attachments
cycle.png
radar's cycle-mode display
(167.25 KiB) Downloaded 271 times

Ted Dog

#84 Post by Ted Dog »

Cool work, Will be doing a lunch time demo of one switch At University of Texas Health Science Center... Wish me luck.. :lol:

Please think of using like methods to enter text into a speech program. :wink:

I know that topic will come up.