How to install Puppy Linux to a Hard Disk

Booting, installing, newbie
sefs

How to install Puppy Linux to a Hard Disk

#1 Post by sefs »

Hi all.

How do I install Puppy Linux to a Hard Disk.

What I have done so far.

1) Downloaded Puppy Linux

2) Burnt the ISO to a CD

3) Pop CD in turn computer on

4) boots to puppy linux live cd

5) I click on menu -> setup -> puppy universal installer

6) Up pops a text file with lots of text I click ok at the bottom.

7) I wait and nothing happens.

Above are the exact steps I have taken I cannot find a guide on this forum or on the PL website that can help me in installing PL to a HD. This is a fresh HD with nothing on it.

What do I do to get this puppy on here.

Thanks.

CatmanDru

#2 Post by CatmanDru »

Welcome to Puppy.

Info about Puppy installation can be found in the Index of Resources for Beginners 'sticky' found at the top of the beginners forum. In addition, guides for installing Puppy can be found in the Puppy Wiki (puppylinux.org/wikka).

To speed your assistance please post your system specs, and Puppy version.

I think the symptoms of your situation have happened to me and I think it was because the hard drive had no partition (i had wiped the disc). Your 'fresh' hard drive may not have a partition.* When you say 'fresh', do you mean new, or wiped, or what?

You may wish to boot Puppy into ram only, then use the the tools in Gparted (look in the Start menu) to partition your disc. The 'Sticky' and Wiki mentioned above also have tips and guides for partitioning and may be faster and more comprehensive than a posted solution. Even if these dont answer any specific questions or problem, the background knowlege will help when someone, probably soon, posts a helpful response to your post.

*I don't think my 2 new drives had partitions 'out of the box'.

sefs

puppie lynx

#3 Post by sefs »

I think you are very right it dosnt have a partition maybe this is the source of my troubles...i'll do your gparted suggestion that just might work.

Its a x86 system. with a gig of ram and a nvidia card and a amd sempron 64 cpu.