slacko-5.6 Final - plus testing next

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
SFR

#361 Post by SFR »

01micko wrote:As for the wireless bug, if it works ok then we live with that!
Sure it works! 8)

As for the USB - I just checked and also my old SonyEricsson 750i phone (actually, its memory card) isn't recognized.

BTW, if I'll wait ~6 minutes, it (only Kingston) appears on the desktop eventually and works good.
Now I'm hoping to find a way to speed up this process...

PS. Looks like I'm not alone - someone (Arch) has similar (and fresh: 2013-08-10) problem:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=168003
EDIT: and there's a patch for this.

Greetings!
Last edited by SFR on Tue 13 Aug 2013, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Jades

#362 Post by Jades »

Sylvander wrote:My latest Slacko...
I'm working in it now...
Is version 5.3.3.1-SCSI
Booted from CD-RW with slackosave on internal HDD.
With pmedia=ataflash [I changed it...in isolinux.cfg within the ISO file if I remember right].

Questions:
1. Do I need to begin afresh [new slackosave] for Slacko-5.6 Final...
Or is there any way to update from the one to the other?
Normally the save is automatically upgraded as part of the boot process, but you will have quite a big jump in versions so it's possible that something may go wrong. I tried upgrading one of my 5.3.3 saves to a 5.5.x test version and it didn't work properly but it's possible that save was corrupt to start with as I hadn't tested it with 5.3.3 before hand.
Sylvander wrote:2. Is there any general rule about such things?
Or is it different in each case depending upon...whatever?
Always back up your pupsave before trying to update. Boot pfix=ram from the CD or boot into a different OS and make a copy of the file first. It may be worth your while creating a new save anyway and copying your stuff across.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Royville

I'm just a novice, but I can see this is good

#363 Post by Royville »

Hi and congrats to all involved with the new Slacko 5.6

I'm running 5.5.91 installed on an 8 gig usb flash drive (to use at work and at home on different PC's) and it runs brilliantly.

I need to use MS Excel, and was just wondering if Wine will run OK in Slacko so I can install the office 2003 cd. Is there a specific version I need to install?

Thanks

puppyfan82

Slacko 5.6 hangs at shutdown

#364 Post by puppyfan82 »

Thanks micko for a wonderful new release! I do have a problem, though. When I try to shutdown or restart, the machine hangs at 'puppy is shutting down' message. I then have to do a hard reset. I had upgraded from 5.5 to 5.6. This was working fine in the older release.

bigpup

#365 Post by bigpup »

Sylvander wrote:My latest Slacko...
I'm working in it now...
Is version 5.3.3.1-SCSI
Booted from CD-RW with slackosave on internal HDD.
With pmedia=ataflash [I changed it...in isolinux.cfg within the ISO file if I remember right].

Questions:
1. Do I need to begin afresh [new slackosave] for Slacko-5.6 Final...
Or is there any way to update from the one to the other?
From the Slacko release notes:
http://slacko.01micko.com/notes.html
There will be issues with upgrading from 5.3x (based on 13.37). Slackware, as have Debian, have moved to the module tool known as "kmod". This is because module-init-tools has not been developed in 2 years. This will cause probelems with upgrading full installs. I recommend (if you try it) removing all module init tools programs (/sbin/depmod, /sbin/modinfo, /sbin/modprobe, /sbin/lsmod there is a full list in ~/.packages/builtin-files/module-init-tools, 13.37 based only) and then try to update. With frugals it might work with no manual intervention. It is highly reccommended to start with a clean install
Upgrades from 5.4 and 5.5 should proceed normally. If you have firefox installed it is recommended to uninstall it from the PPM before upgrading but after you backup your files. Read that again, backup. Data loss does not occur when you regularly backup!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#366 Post by Sylvander »

1. I tried updating Slacko-5.3.3.1-SCSI-ataflash to Slacko-5.5.91-ataflash, but that failed, so...

2. Started afresh.
It's now functioning VERY well, and looking REALLY NICE! :D
Everything has been clicking into place and "just works".
And it's really FAST.
Unless something goes wrong...
This is going to be my new number-1 Puppy. :D

Atle

Nvidia Drivers

#367 Post by Atle »

After a trying most versions of Puppy I never ever made it with installing and getting Nvidia driver up and running.

Now Sabayon did is as for now the only distro that has these driver JUST running out of the box as by default. They even have support for Optimus Technology included.

I see Nvidia driver is a lost dream for most users as its like playing with fire, as you might loose your desktop etc and its a "stayer" on the entire forum cross various puppies.

Could it be a idea to have a version of Slacko that supports Nvidia drivers by default? Like a Slacko Nvidia PAE 5.6.iso?

The optimus by the way is a energy saving thing that makes the Nvidia sleep when not needed and that helps laptops battery time.

Mine is a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 520M with 1GB DDR3 VRAM , and at least me I would love to see one Puppy support this out of the box:-)

That said, please note that i do not demand, but merely crossing my fingers as i do respect the devs time a lot:-)

Atle

8-bit

#368 Post by 8-bit »

I have to agree with Atle that a number of Puppy distros I have tried with my PC that has nvidia graphics that one ends up with a black screen instead of a desktop.
This varies as sometimes some things work with the black screen and other times, one has to force a reboot to recover as nothing seems to work even to the extent of Alt-Ctrl-Backspace failing.
And what might work for one model of the Nvidia card may not work for another.

smokey01

#369 Post by smokey01 »

Linus is not happy with nvidia either.

***Warning profanity***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw

bigpup

#370 Post by bigpup »

8-bit wrote:I have to agree with Atle that a number of Puppy distros I have tried with my PC that has nvidia graphics that one ends up with a black screen instead of a desktop.
This varies as sometimes some things work with the black screen and other times, one has to force a reboot to recover as nothing seems to work even to the extent of Alt-Ctrl-Backspace failing.
And what might work for one model of the Nvidia card may not work for another.
From the release notes:
http://slacko.01micko.com/notes.html
Known Issues

If you boot to blackscreen:

for intel cards:
i915.modeset=0
ATI/AMD radeon cards:
radeon.modeset=0
nvidia cards:
nouveau.modeset=0

Those strings must be placed after (example) "puppy pfix=ram i915.modeset=0" for live boot or on the kernel line of extlinux.conf, syslinux.conf, menu.lst, lilo.conf
Old nvidia N3x cards (mx440, fx5200 and some others) often do not render properly.
For those use this string in a similar fashion to above:
nouveau.noaccel=1
One of these options should get you to a working desktop, if initial boot gives you problems.

After getting to a working desktop, go to menu->Setup->Vedio Upgrade Wizard and see if it can offer you a specific Nvidia driver for your Nvidia hardware.
Worked perfect for my Nvidia Geforce GTX 560ti.
Found the best driver, downloaded, and installed.

01micko has a lot of different Nvidia driver pet packages, in the Slacko pet repository, for this Video Upgrade Wizard to choose from.
Also for ATI hardware.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-slacko/
YaPI(any iso installer)

killapup

Slacko 5.6 install not working.

#371 Post by killapup »

Mick, I have loved and used Slacko since 5.3, may be the qld affinity?? :D
It usually runs well straight up, finds wifi, installs well and does what I ask of it except where RAM is an issue.

I hope this is where I should post this, let me know if it is not, thanks.

I have frugal-installed 5.6 to HD alongside 5.5 (different partition) but it won't boot, I used the grub4dos menu lines as generated by the installation process. It says it can't find puppy_slacko_5.6.sfs file, but I know it is installed.

I noticed that when I first booted the CD, it found my 5.5 savefile and asked if I wanted to upgrade it, I denied it as I wanted to do a clean install. Previous versions have not done this step and I wasn't sure how to go about it in case I stuffed it up. I've always done a clean install and transferred things over bit by bit as I've found the upgrade process for puppy a bit confusing.

5.4 to 5.5 was a straightforward install/transfer but something is different in this version, what is it?

If I was to boot the CD and allow the new version (5.6) to upgrade my 5.5 personal savefile, how do I then install the new version? Would I choose the same partition where 5.5 is installed or do I install to another partition? I did read your additional release notes and errata saying that upgrades from 5.4 and 5.5 should proceed normally but I've not come across any procedure for installing/upgrading Slacko, are there any instructions for this anywhere?

I hope all this makes sense, I'm a bit confused :? by it all as I don't consider myself an accomplished Puppy or Linux user.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work, obviously, if you need more info, please ask,
Ray
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

bigpup

#372 Post by bigpup »

I used the grub4dos menu lines as generated by the installation process. It says it can't find puppy_slacko_5.6.sfs file, but I know it is installed.
Try this:
Run the program "Grub4dos bootloader config" found under menu->System.
Let it setup the boot menu entries.
Just use it's default choices. They usually work OK.
Now reboot and see if you get a working boot menu entry for your Slacko 5.6 frugal install.
YaPI(any iso installer)

killapup

#373 Post by killapup »

Try this:
Run the program "Grub4dos bootloader config" found under menu->System.
Let it setup the boot menu entries.
Just use it's default choices. They usually work OK.
Now reboot and see if you get a working boot menu entry for your Slacko 5.6 frugal install.
Thanks, bigpup, for your suggestion, I gave it a try but I still get the same result, can't find the 5.6.sfs??? I'll keep trying though, thanks again.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM

OscarTalks

#374 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Ray,

How about this?
If you boot the CD with puppy pfix=ram it won't look for any save-files or ask if you want to upgrade them. Do that, run the installer and install into a new "slacko5.6" subfolder. Then add the generated lines to your grub4dos menu.1st file. Shut down without saving, remove the CD and reboot. The Slacko 5.6 should now be an additional boot option (make it the default if you want) and you can create a new save-file to go with it leaving the old ones intact until you are ready to ditch them later or keep them or whatever.
Oscar in England

bigpup

#375 Post by bigpup »

killapup,

If above does not work, give specific details:
How hard drive is partitioned.
Name of partitions and their format type.
What partition you are installing Slacko 5.6 on.
Exactly where on partition. A sub directory or top layer?
Post the content of your Grub4dos menu.lst.
YaPI(any iso installer)

killapup

#376 Post by killapup »

How about this?
If you boot the CD with puppy pfix=ram it won't look for any save-files or ask if you want to upgrade them. Do that, run the installer and install into a new "slacko5.6" subfolder. Then add the generated lines to your grub4dos menu.1st file. Shut down without saving, remove the CD and reboot. The Slacko 5.6 should now be an additional boot option (make it the default if you want) and you can create a new save-file to go with it leaving the old ones intact until you are ready to ditch them later or keep them or whatever.
Thanks Oscar, I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

And thanks again, bigpup, it's good to know that there are plenty of people with plenty of suggestions for solutions, cheers all.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM

adi

phat slacko 5.6

#377 Post by adi »

there will be a phat slacko 5.6?

killapup

#378 Post by killapup »

No go, Oscar, still the same result plus now I can't start up my 5.5 install?!?! :cry:

And tonight I couldn't fire up my Precise Pup, :x I'm using Saluki at the moment. :) There was even a small glitch while Saluki was starting up, but at least it is working. not sure what is going on?? :?

I've got a couple of things to try and then I'll follow up with bigpup, could be a while though. Cheers all...
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM

killapup

#379 Post by killapup »

Well, it looks like the glitch was something to do with the revised menu.lst. I've sorted that and back on 5.5. now.

I've deleted 5.6 (again) and also removed Precise, I'll reinstall Precise at some stage but I'll have to see what can be done with 5.6?? I just don't understand how it is supposed to work?/?/?/

Anyway, thanks again for all your help so far, God bless.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM

bigpup

#380 Post by bigpup »

killapup,

As I asked before, this info will give us a clue as to what may be going on.
My signature statement is so true. What you do not tell us is usually the clue to solving the problem.

Need these details:
How hard drive is partitioned.
Name of partitions and their format type.
What partition you are installing Slacko 5.6 on.
Exactly where on partition. A sub directory or top layer?
Post the content of your Grub4dos menu.lst.
YaPI(any iso installer)