Looking for java based file crypt / decrypt

For discussions about security.
oliver69

Looking for java based file crypt / decrypt

#1 Post by oliver69 »

Hi,
i looking for an os independet crypt / decrypt tool - but can not find something on the net ,,,,
- java app, single jar file preferred (for portability)
- aes 128 (256 would be nice)
- file drag and drop, so gui no command line (nice to have too)
Any ideas?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Here are some Java tutorials I just stumbled across. Good luck finding anything useful. :lol:

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Possibly.. Didn't look deep enough to check drag'n drop.

Barkin

#4 Post by Barkin »

How about JavaScript ... http://www.fourmilab.ch/javascrypt/[can run in any internet browser with javascript so is "OS independent"].
IMO javascrypt only practical for things like passwords and short text messages, but theoretically could encode any file if converted to hexadecimal, gonna be slow on big files though.

My suggestion : forget JAVA and use TrueCrypt, the encrypted "containers" can be read by TrueCrypt on Windows or Linux.

DPUP5520

#5 Post by DPUP5520 »

Cryptomni

It's pretty old (2007) but still relevent
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

jpeps

#6 Post by jpeps »

DPUP5520 wrote:Cryptomni

Works! Theoretically, you could just send the the app (35K) and key as email attachments for encrypted email as long as the recipient had java installed. You can store multiple documents with the same key.

oliver69

#7 Post by oliver69 »

portablepgp looks like the best at the moment, but no single jar file and it seems not to support drag and drop. truecrypt is not an option because i need single files and no containers. the reason behind is to have files from several clients on one usb stick which can run everywhere as long java is installed (which is in true in the most cases), sometimes i need to send the file by emai so its neccessary to have a unique key for each customer or file.
currently i use encryption wizard (which is very good and has all features) - spi.dod,mil - but i have no good feelings which the source of the software, maybe it includes a backdoor like a general key.

SFR

#8 Post by SFR »

Hey, take a look at this, I just found it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/enfomi/
Looks promising - supports, inter alia, AES-256 and can create self-decrypting archives.
And it's written in Java, of course.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

jpeps

#9 Post by jpeps »

SFR wrote:Hey, take a look at this, I just found it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/enfomi/
Looks promising - supports, inter alia, AES-256 and can create self-decrypting archives.
And it's written in Java, of course.

Greetings!
Hey...that's really great. No need to send the app,key, and file...just a jar. Slightly larger file, but less hassle.

edit: really well thought-out UI..simple to use on both ends. This could solve the NSA issue.

DPUP5520

#10 Post by DPUP5520 »

jpeps wrote:
DPUP5520 wrote:Cryptomni

Works! Theoretically, you could just send the the app (35K) and key as email attachments for encrypted email as long as the recipient had java installed. You can store multiple documents with the same key.
One of the points of Cryptomni is to only use the key Once (with one file) therefore making the encryption theoretically unbreakable.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

oliver69

#11 Post by oliver69 »

enfomi looks great .... but didn't work..... i always get a file with jar extension and after successfull decryption the file is useless (garbage).
and other ideas?

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Enfomi- it's possible you're not using it correctly. This for PPGP.

oliver69

#13 Post by oliver69 »

Semme wrote:Enfomi- it's possible you're not using it correctly. This for PPGP.
no i just use it as a standalone application. but the crypted file has always an jar extension - no matter what i selected under options. also drag and drop didn't work.

jpeps

#14 Post by jpeps »

oliver69 wrote:
no i just use it as a standalone application. but the crypted file has always an jar extension - no matter what i selected under options. also drag and drop didn't work.
It creates a jar file that contains the encrypted doc. That's the point. The recipient just clicks on it, enters the password, and gets the file.

oliver69

#15 Post by oliver69 »

jpeps wrote:
oliver69 wrote:
It creates a jar file that contains the encrypted doc. That's the point. The recipient just clicks on it, enters the password, and gets the file.
yes this is the problem .... i don't get a file .... but it states that the decrypting was successfull....strange.

jpeps

#16 Post by jpeps »

oliver69 wrote:
yes this is the problem .... i don't get a file .... but it states that the decrypting was successfull....strange.
Make sure you entered the file to be decrypted (myEncryptedFile.jar) and the directory path (e.g. /root). It should be in the selected directory. Maybe try a different directory if you're having some kind of overwrite problem.

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

I can confirm Enfomi's drag'n drop does NOT work aboard 528. What I might be missing I don't yet know..

jpeps

#18 Post by jpeps »

Semme wrote:I can confirm Enfomi's drag'n drop does NOT work aboard 528. What I might be missing I don't yet know..
It would work for any Java app that takes an argument. Enformi uses a dialogue, so would still have to open a selection box and be pointless.

The Zero java app I wrote takes an argument, so works with drag & drop. It includes a front end script.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 15&t=84844

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

I was thinking it might be possible to fit this into a routine? While it sounds good- I'm not a programmer.

oliver69

#20 Post by oliver69 »

until now no really working solution - seems strange to me. which solution did you use to carry single files on an usb stick an ready to decrypt it at customer side independent from the os???? i think java is the only solution.
looking for something the crypts a file test.odt to let's say test.odt.cry and decrypt it the same way back.