Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Dec 2014, 07:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to bypass xorgwizard during boot time?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
simargl

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 06:18    Post_subject:  

Edited_time_total
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 06:51    Post_subject:  

I am unemployed and just having nothing to do I tried a hack of /usr/bin/xwin. I builded a puppy_slacko_5.5.sfs modified in the following way:
1-Copy your desired xorg.conf in /etc/X11/myxorg.conf
2-As first line of /usr/bin/xwin script add a line as:

Code:
cp /etc/X11/myxorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I booted in ram mode with the modified slacko sfs and it runs quicksetp at beginning but if you close it without savings the xorg.conf was the right one and keyboard, for example, was already set with my locale. When I boot in ram mode slacko I have not to pass through xorgwizard, so I don't know if this can help.

EDIT: I confirm: I have had success to bypass xorgwizard and country settings in Insidious Puppy which I took for my trial. Add at what said above that you must rename /etc/rc.d/rc.country as /etc/rc.d/rc.country.old and comment lines in /usr/bin/xwin relative to changed keyboards. It works here.
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2013, 08:36    Post_subject:  

Hi watchdog,
that's a bit different from what I meant. Anyway, follow the link provided by don570 a few posts above and you can bypass it. I've had success, partial, because I can't figure out how to make it go to the desktop without typing 'xwin jwm'.
In a nutshell:
1) in root/.profile, I have this:
Code:
#want to go straight into X on bootup only...
 if [ ! -f /tmp/bootcnt.txt ];then
  touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt
  dmesg > /tmp/bootkernel.log
  exec xwin
 fi
fi

and this in:
2) etc/rc.d/rc.local:
Code:
touch /tmp/bootcnt.txt

and boot to cli and type 'xwin' or 'xwin jwm'. Not as elegant as simargl's solution, but an elegant solution requires cooperation of someone with knowledge. So far, all we have is an exchange of pleasantries, the two knowledgeable guys have had here. I will post my results later on.
Peterm321

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 17:11    Post_subject:  

annikin wrote:

I've had success, partial, because I can't figure out how to make it go to the desktop without typing 'xwin jwm'.

I dispensed with "xwin" quite some time ago after it was modified to automatically update xorg.conf, I created a small script to start X:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
exec /usr/X11R7/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc -- -br -nolisten tcp  dpms -allowMouseOpenFail 

anikin

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 19:01    Post_subject:  

Hi Peterm321,
can you please, provide more details:
1) where do I put this script
2) xinit is in /usr/bin, should I relocate/copy it to /usr/X11R7/bin
3) any other steps?

Thank you in advance.
Peterm321

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 18:46    Post_subject:  

anikin Yesterday, at 19:01 wrote:

Hi Peterm321,
can you please, provide more details:
1) where do I put this script
2) xinit is in /usr/bin, should I relocate/copy it to /usr/X11R7/bin
3) any other steps

Hi anikin

1) I suppose you could put this script in any location listed in your PATH (echo $PATH). Perhaps /usr/local/bin might be suitable.

2) No. You can amend the script to reflect where xinit is located.

3) If you want to disable xwin, itself a script, you can always amend it:

At the beginning of xwin I put this:

Code:

echo -e "\n\n\n USE runx\n\n\n"
exit 0

A slightly lazy approach I used rather than trawl through the code to amend it to stop overwriting xorg.conf. If you install a later version of Puppy, this kind of amendment will need to be carried over.
anikin

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 06:42    Post_subject:  

Thank you for the explanation.
I have remastered Barry's Raring-5.6.94, Micko's Slacko-5.6-PAE and Pemasu's Raring 3.9.9.2. All are starting up to X, I then type 'xwin' and get to the desktop. All are using a single xorg.conf - the unneeded ones have been removed together with the files, that I believe are xorgwizard related. And there's a truckload of them, not 4 as I mentioned earlier. In total they weigh in at 290 K. I'm sure, more will be discovered later. To cut it short, without xorgwizard the startup process is much, much faster, even if you have to type 'xwin'. Here's something curious. There's no xorgwizard now, but there's still an attempt to overwrite xorg.conf at bootup. (see an attached image) And it still requires this line at the end:
Code:
#PuppyHardwareProfile=Intel_r__82945GM_Chipset
. With your script there is no such attempt, xorg.conf remains untouched. But the script doesn't bring puppy to the desktop.
xconf.jpeg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.32 KB
 Viewed   237 Time(s)

xconf.jpeg

Peterm321

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 22:02    Post_subject:  

anikin Today, at 06:42 wrote:

With your script there is no such attempt, xorg.conf remains untouched. But the script doesn't bring puppy to the desktop.

Erm, I hope I am not leading you down a rather complicated path. A solution that I adopted may not be all that fine for someone else. I should mention that I have a full HD install, also I have an addon PCI Graphics card that sits on top, for lack of a better word, of an onboard video controller. Although this disables the onboard video controller in the bios, lspci still "sees" it. For a while kernels that adopted udev caused a kernel panic. The latest kernels do not panic, but xorgwizard fails. For example I have tried Raring 3991 on this machine and xorgwizard fails (goes to black screen & requires reboot). This problem can be fixed by deleting the onboard video device in the /sys/devices/pci* subsystem. Ideally this should be done at the beginning of the initial boot script at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

However leaving that side issue, the point is that I have been willing to hack the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script, mind you it took a while to figure it out. With a full HD install the config files get updated there and then but interfering with xwin may not be so kind to a frugal install as when Xorg exits there is some further scripts processed including shutdow scripts and system updating. When I exit, using my system, it is to the command prompt and I run my own script to poweroff or reboot am not so sure this would suit you though, or anyone else so it might be worth looking at xwin more closely than I did and see whether the parts that overwrite xorg.conf can be amended.

In terms of the desktop, I understand it is the ROX-Filer program that starts the desktop. For Wary 5.0 this is in $HOME/.xinitrc. There are lines like

Code:

#w468 on old PCs this sometimes does not start, see further down...
if [ -f $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
 rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
else
 rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi

I actually have just tested this by killing the ROX-Filer task, the desktop goes blank. Typing

rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

At the command prompt restores the desktop icons.

Anyway starting Xorg in the way I describe does produce a desktop but am not sure this would work in all cases particularly when starting a new install. There may be files that need Xorgwizard/Xorg to be run at least once. On a full HD install these files are then all available, not so sure about a frugal or other kind of install. What you might consider is to set up xorg.conf etc the way you want and *then* amend xwin to stop altering it.

Strangely there doesnt seem to be much opposition to the way the starup scripts keep overwriting xorg.conf but it might be worth filing a request in the request or bugs forum(s) to see if the Puppy Derivatives authors are willing to add an option to disable or bypass this aspect but if there aren't many complaints then this change is unlikely I fear.

One trick I find useful to find what scripts are doing what is to use the grep -ir command. For example to find any scripts in /root or /etc that refer to PuppyPin you can cd to /root and or /etc at the command prompt and type
grep -ir PuppyPin *
(and it will search the scripts for this string).
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum