wallpaper2

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Nathan F

#21 Post by Nathan F »

There's enough changed to warrant a new alpha release. While I was at it I created a pet package, see top post. Hope I did it right...
Bring on the locusts ...

Jasper

#22 Post by Jasper »

Hi Nathan F,

I converted your pet to an sfs file and it works well with Precise 5.6.

My regards and thanks

simargl

#23 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#24 Post by Nathan F »

I'll fix it. Think I know what's going on already. Sounds like a gtkdialog bug (quirk?) I just read about.

And now for a quick preview of what -may- be down the pipe. The attached image shows the experimental slideshow editor, which is hidden by default but opens via an entry in the "Tools" menu. This may or may not make it in, haven't decided yet. It's not even committed to mercurial yet. Note that with the slideshow editor closed the program looks substantially like it did before though, with the exception of a couple other little tweaks I've given it like the checkered background in the preview area and the absence of the notebook.
Attachments
slideshow-edit.png
(168.51 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#25 Post by Nathan F »

OK I committed the changes. The slideshow editor is basically functional now but there is of yet no slideshow player, so it's just a proof of concept. But you can create and edit as many playlists as you want.

The tab view is gone for good. In it's place there is an options menu and a small dialog for less common options.

The window no longer resizes itself when you preview an image with a different aspect ratio. Instead, the preview area is fixed in size and you have your choice of four modes for a background behind the preview:
1) none (use system theme)
2) white
3) black
4) a checkerboard patterned background identical to the one in Gimp

You also can incrementally change the size of the preview area from 150px to 500px. The preview size and preview background prefs both require a restart, due to limitations of gtkdialog. Also, the preview background choices are currently gtk2 only, with gtk3 support coming later.

TODO:
* Add the ability to add items by right clicking instead of having to press the "+" button each time
* Drag and drop reordering in the slideshow editor
* Clicking on an item in the slideshow editor opens it in the preview window
* Some way to delete entire playlists
* Move all the gtkdialog code to separate files for speedier execution
* Write a manual
* Write the slideshow player
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#26 Post by Nathan F »

Forgot to mention, I fixed the bug Simargl mentioned. It was caused because gtkdialog only returns the value of the EXIT variable if you close it via the WindowManager.

Also I may need to add some code to handle the new way of handling options setting on firstrun. I'll have to delete my profile directory and retest.

And one last thing. The Makefile now includes a "petpkg" target, so you can run "make petpkg" and it will automatically create a package for you.
Bring on the locusts ...

simargl

#27 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan F

#28 Post by Nathan F »

I have mixed feelings about it myself. I was thinking, if that stuff does stay in, then I might disable it all by default and have the user explicitly enable it in the prefs dialog if they want the extra functionality.
Bring on the locusts ...

koulaxizis

#29 Post by koulaxizis »

This app is just getting better and better! :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Nathan F

#30 Post by Nathan F »

I spent a fair amount of time optimizing the bash portions today. Mostly reading and running tests of certain bits while timing the execution. There weren't extensive changes, but a few little things happened that would never have occurred to my brain a few years ago. I managed to get the list creation done with a single call to "find", eliminated 3 calls to "cut" in a loop (which equates to 3 calls for each iteration of the loop, for a total of 48 "cuts" removed) and learned a few nice tricks for bourne shell syntax that I never knew before. It's been a great learning experience in general, mainly because I forced myself to do so.

I think I will split out the slideshow editor and put those portions into a separate file, which will only be loaded if the user explicitly enables it via the prefs. It seems to have slowed up the program loading a tiny bit, and since I've got the bash portions trimmed down as far as I think I can the only explanation is that gtkdialog is causing the slowdown with the extra widgets loading. Not that it's a turtle, but I'd like it usable on the lowest common denominator. Plus, it's good exercise as stated above.

I think I'll call the next "release" a beta, as it's nearly feature complete and mostly just needs polished.
Bring on the locusts ...