Sound works in one savefile, not in another

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
Freddow

Sound works in one savefile, not in another

#1 Post by Freddow »

Hello, I'm being frustrated by a lack of sound.
I'm using Precise Puppy 5.6.1 with a frugal installation. Sound works perfectly using one savefile, but there is no sound with another. I assume that there is a difference between the configurations of each "installation".
I have worked through the four point plan in the Sound Wizard to no avail. A new installation works fine "out of the box", so I have done something to one of my installations.
Is someone able to give a summary of where sound configurations are stored? Once I have an idea of how it all works, I should be able to compare the configuration of one installation with the other. (I'm hoping that there are a number of config files, and that when I compare them there will be a difference)

After searching around in this forum for a while, I have learned that this file is important: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf.
I think that these are identical between my installations, and they look like this:

alias char-major-14-* soundcore
alias char-major-116-* snd
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options sb io=0x220 irq=7 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

I say "I think" they are identical because I am new to savefiles, and I am still getting to grips with how they work. So when I load up savefile A, I look in /etc/modprobe.d/ and find the alsa.conf file. When I load up savefile B, I look in the same place and find a file with the same name and the same contents. They are different files though, aren't they? They certainly have a different date stamp.

<edit: changed "sfs" to "savefile" - because these are different things!>
Last edited by Freddow on Fri 16 Aug 2013, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sound works perfectly using one sfs file, but there is no sound with another
Please provide more details. What sfs files are you talking about? Each Puppy version has its own sfs file.

Or are you talking about your savefile?

Freddow

#3 Post by Freddow »

Yes - Savefile - that's the word!
The one where the sound works is called precisesave-DELL.2fs.
The one where the sound doesn't work is called precisesave-CRW.3fs.

So when I boot up I can choose one or the other. They both appear to work fine in every other regard.

Freddow

Sound works in one sfs, not in another

#4 Post by Freddow »

bump.

Can anyone help me with my problem (as described in the first post) please?
I can obviously start from scratch, but that means re-downloading, installing and configuring quite a few applications.