Firefox 1.0.6 Installer

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

Firefox 1.0.6 Installer

#1 Post by GuestToo »

Firefox 1.0.6 Installer

this should download and install Firefox 1.0.6
(requires about 28 megs free space on the hard drive to install)

there should be a program called install-firefox-here in my-documents

copy it to the folder you want to install Firefox to
click it to download and install Firefox

this should install a Firefox106 icon in my-roxapps
drag the icon to the desktop if you want a shortcut
click the icon to run Firefox 1.0.6
right click the icon for Help or to Uninstall
or to run the Profile Manager

edit: attachment removed
Last edited by GuestToo on Thu 31 Aug 2006, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Nic G2 - I thought I was cutting edge using Firefox 1.0.5
Seems to work OK

Interesting Dotpups and pupgets seemed to have taken one step closer in 1.0.4 with the adoption of the same time bar (forget the name - the thing that shows you how much has been downloaded)

I must say that Firefox has one of the easiest installers (along with Open Office, Opera and Thunderbird) but this is even simpler

The Firefox dotpup is opened with a doc which explains to drag the installer prog into (my applications is a good place I assume) and click it
but it then opens an icon in my-roxapps
m m m m - is that a little weird to newcomers?
:roll:

Do we care where a program is stored? Install and stick an icon on the desktop I say . . .

Thanks as always :)

PS. How is the keyboard? Any joy?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Mathiasdm

#3 Post by Mathiasdm »

Great, GuestToo :-) Perhaps it's time to put Firefox 1.0.6 in Unleashed, instead of 1.0PR.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

Do we care where a program is stored? Install and stick an icon on the desktop I say . . .
it would be easy to install to a fixed location, say /root/firefox/ ... but might have limited space in pup001 but lots of space on another partition, plus, if you install it on another partition, it could be accessible to your other distros

i can easily make a dotpup that just downloads and installs in /root

i thought moving the installer file to where you want to install, would be an easy and intuitive way to do it (and makes use of rox as the gui, so i don't have to make a choose-location box)
but it then opens an icon in my-roxapps
m m m m - is that a little weird to newcomers?
appdirs are a bit different ...
PS. How is the keyboard? Any joy?
it's mostly the shift lock key doesn't work right, you have to press it 4 times instead of once ... also, you have to be careful not to hold the delete key down to delete characters, when you release the key it doesn't stop deleting until all the delete characters in the buffer are gone ... to fix it, xvesa would have to be recompiled, or the keyboard extensions fixed, or both ... so basically, i mostly ignore it and hope it doesn't damage my hardware

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

Perhaps it's time to put Firefox 1.0.6 in Unleashed, instead of 1.0PR
it would be easy to make an Unleashed package
install it anywhere in /usr (it's all in one dir) ... copy it to your Unleashed packages dir ... you would probably want a wrapper to start it ... just copy firefox106 from my-application/bin to /usr/local/bin probably (and copy that to the Unleashed package ... and rename it firefox probably)

there's probably a lot of stuff in there that could be deleted ... not sure exactly what, though