Opening docx with Word 2007

Using applications, configuring, problems
toowoombalinux

Opening docx with Word 2007

#1 Post by toowoombalinux »

G'day,
setting a computer up for my father with Puppy as WinXP support is coming to an end. However, getting him to move away from MSOffice is a bit too much to ask.
I've set up the run action for paf files (another windows app) and it works fine:

Code: Select all

wine path-to/paf.exe "$@"
but...
I tried the same run action command with docx files the best I've been able to do is open a blank file when you click on the file.

Alas, I'm a little lost at sea with Wine commands and feel I'm missing something; I've done a bit of searching on Google and have not found a suitable command line solution. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers
Martin
Last edited by toowoombalinux on Sun 18 Aug 2013, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Martin- nevermind Google, the answer's here. Trial'n error so take your time..

toowoombalinux

#3 Post by toowoombalinux »

G'day
Thanks Semme for the link - I had done a goodly amount of trial and error beforehand without success so instead of reinventing the wheel.....

That link had a solution that works: (step by step guide for those uninitiated)

--. Right-Click the docx file
--> Set Run Action
--> Enter a shell command

Code: Select all

wine /root/.wine/drive_c/"Program Files"/"Microsoft Office"/Office12/WINWORD.EXE "${1//\//\\}"
--> Press Use Command button
NB: Up the top make sure that Set default for all 'application/<anything>' is NOT highlighted .... it needs to be the one underneath.

Thank you Puppy User mcewanw for your genius!

Cheers
Martin

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Hey, awright Martin.. Thanks for the recap mate- ya done good!