dead cursor

Using applications, configuring, problems
Pelo

dead cursor

#1 Post by Pelo »

Slacko 5.5 first run, icon 'dead cursor'.
History : Slacko 5.5 runs fine, thank you.
I have a slackosave from Slacko 5.3.29 which was pretty enough I copied it on my usb stick where Slacko 5.5 is installed. When i boot to the 5.3.29 save, slacko 5.5 updates the things.
Well, very well. Excepted that the cursor is frozen.
Have you an idea about that ?

eeekos

#2 Post by eeekos »

Regrettably, you will probably have to delete your savefile and start over. I have found that usually a savefile from one version of Puppy will not work with a different or newer version.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

Did you boot as pfix=nox and ran xorgwizard ?

Likely there are /etc/X11/xorg.conf problems ?

I think , I should ask , too , if you have additionally MESA/DRI installed into the savefile or additionally proprietary nvidia/amd/ati kernel drivers .

Xorg -version might be different, kernel should be different .

For now I don't think it is a bug, but a PBCAK expecting too much .

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

From Slacko release notes:
There will be issues with upgrading from 5.3x (based on 13.37). Slackware, as have Debian, have moved to the module tool known as "kmod". This is because module-init-tools has not been developed in 2 years. This will cause probelems with upgrading full installs. I recommend (if you try it) removing all module init tools programs (/sbin/depmod, /sbin/modinfo, /sbin/modprobe, /sbin/lsmod there is a full list in ~/.packages/builtin-files/module-init-tools, 13.37 based only) and then try to update. With frugals it might work with no manual intervention. It is highly reccommended to start with a clean install
If you are upgrading, I suggest you go all the way and try Slacko 5.6.
http://slacko.01micko.com/index.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

First, I will try Karl's suggest.

#5 Post by Pelo »

First, I will try Karl's suggest.puppy nox. I'll give you result. Thks for yr Prompt replies. Pelo.
I give up. I liked the work which I had made in this saving.
Slacko 5.5 is not involved. Well noticed that saves cannot be upgraded from one version to another.