Slacko-5.5.4G keep asking me the same config questions...

Using applications, configuring, problems
benny7440

#21 Post by benny7440 »

Thank you for replying, Semme!

I will download the last Slacko version & substitute that for the present one. Before making any changes I need to know if I need to rename/delete the slackosave file(s) already created?

I still have PL528005 & indeed, works very well.

Below, I'm including what you requested:

Code: Select all

/etc/profile.d/firefox
/usr/bin/run_firefox
/usr/share/applications/firefox-web-browser.desktop
/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox48.png
/var/local/icons/firefox48
/var/local/icons/firefox48.png
In case it's of any extra hellp for you I'm also including a snaphot of the Pfind window.

Edit: Which Slacko I should download, the PAE one or the other? <<---See my signature...
Attachments
image-1.png
(44.13 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#22 Post by Semme »

Benny- PAE depends upon processor support and physical ram. Not enough ram and it won't matter- either will do.

Code: Select all

grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
And as long as you have the room, name the new one 'current' and leave the others alone.

==

Now those names in your 528 FF file list appear to be dated. I asked because you said you were having trouble.. May I suggest wiping FF from the system and reinstalling a fresh build, all of which I'll help you sort once given the go ahead.

No pressure.. You can tell me when you're ready and I'll try'n make it as painless as possible, OK.

==

PS- Do me a favor and run this again, searching *personal files* instead.

If your FF folder isn't here, then where is it.. in /mnt/home?

benny7440

#23 Post by benny7440 »

Even though you didn't tell me to do it, I ran that 'code' in your last post, it's output follows:

sh-4.1# grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
sh-4.1#

I d/l the NON-PAE one, extracted the same folders as I previously had & at the first trial I received a 'file not found' error. I'll now scan the menu.lst file section for Slacko to see if I pick up something. Yes, I found out that the folder for the necessary files to boot were named with a small 's' but at the menu.lst file I was making reference to it with a capital 'S'; so I changed it & need now to test again.

I don't know if it has been made clear before but I was using with PL528 FF14.*, tried to upgrade to FF22 but something strange passed & I remembered that somewhere I had a Seamonkey pet & installed it (version 2.2). It's working a little slow & sometimes I perceive an 'arpeggio' of three notes (maybe C - F - E) that I beleive comes from it but don't know what's the purpose of it, apart from calling my attention to 'something'... The hdd usage/access has increased to a point that the system at some points becomes unusable, which I beleive is due to the browser.

Instead of C/P the output of the re-ran command I'm attaching a screenshot because it has all the info there clearly displayed (probably more useful this way).

BTW, when the moment for installing a newer FF version comes, is it advisable to uninstall Seamonkey FIRST? What can I do, if anything, to keep my PRESENT bookmarks & browsing HISTORY for using with the next browser?

Thanks for all!
Attachments
semme_firefox.png
(48.34 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

benny7440

#24 Post by benny7440 »

I booted up but to a shell, only. There was also a message stating that the sfs file wasn't found, but I checked & it's there. Maybe it's mispelled but in this case it's a bug because I clicked & dragged for doing this.

Can you check if you have Slacko there installed, what the sfs file's name really is?

Thanks!
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#25 Post by Semme »

I'm not looking to help with Slacko @ the moment, rather, help straighten out Lucid's browser situation.

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Benny- are you running Grub or Grub4DOS? Ah..
I'm afraid I'm still using grub; a little afraid of upgrading to grub4dos after trying to understand it for about 3 weeks..
Maybe stop trying to understand and throw yourself right into it? I've found it both intuitive and straightforward.

And yeah, I see you've had some help >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78138

benny7440

#27 Post by benny7440 »

OK Semme, you won me already!

What do I've to do, go to Menu>Setup>Grub4Dos bootloader config & click? Is this as simple as this?

Semme

#28 Post by Semme »

:lol: Warning! I *am NOT* a Grub4DOS expert, but.. Let's see a quick: fdisk -l dump and tell me who's where..

As a matter of fact, open G4D >> click 'show pbs' >> hit OK >> grab yourself a screenshot >> then cancel.

benny7440

#29 Post by benny7440 »

The command gave me the following:

sh-4.1# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 7650 61440992+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 13578 14594 8158208 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 7650 12749 40960000 5 Extended
/dev/sda4 12749 13578 6661120 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda5 7650 12749 40958976 7 HPFS/NTFS

Partition table entries are not in disk order
sh-4.1#

The screenshot is included below, too.
Attachments
image-2.png
(47.63 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Semme

#30 Post by Semme »

That NTFS partition's not bootable, is it? sda1's lookin prime..

benny7440

#31 Post by benny7440 »

Since I'm not completely sure that I understood your statement I'm sending you what I beleive will disperse the smog.
Attachments
image-3.png
(47.71 KiB) Downloaded 443 times

Semme

#32 Post by Semme »

I'm asking if there's a Windows OS on sda5? Answer and we're set!

benny7440

#33 Post by benny7440 »

Sorry for my mis-interpretation, Semme. I haven't had a machine with a Microsoft OS since 2005-6. This machine's HDD came from another HP laptop that was running XP, I think.

I beleive there's nothing in here from that epoch, in any partition.

Semme

#34 Post by Semme »

Good- me neither!

=

Now, here's the deal..

You're gonna open G4D, hit 'show pbs' and leave those three boxes unticked.

After doing this you shouldn't have to do anything more as the MBR remains selected.

This is where you want G4D to install it's bootloader.

All that's left is to hit OK TWICE- the second coming @ my final screenshot.

Follow the prompts to finish and reboot when directed.

If everything goes as planned, you should be able to boot into any of the systems from the other page.

Just4U :P I'll keep my fingers crossed..
Attachments
g4d_win1.jpg
(45 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
g4d_win2.jpg
(23.23 KiB) Downloaded 234 times

benny7440

#35 Post by benny7440 »

OK, it's done!

I had the log opened with Nicoedit but lost it because it showed me it was at /root/tmp but it wasn't after I closed Nicoedit. Maybe I needed to save it first because what I saw was not the source location but the INTENDED location...

Rebooting now, Will try some of them (maybe 3 at most). Curious that it left out (not recognized) DSL. It was booting up, although not connecting to the web, yet.

Edit: Incredibly, this bootloader even booted up OSs that I don't have!!! GREAT.

Semme

#36 Post by Semme »

Well, good to hear it works. Now what's this tell ya.. that you could probably free-up your entire extended partition?
This bootloader even booted up OSs that I don't have!
From which pup are you running GParted here.. the same one used for your current partitioning scheme?

Which frugal do you find most usable, the one you spend the most time in?

benny7440

#37 Post by benny7440 »

At a previous post I mentioned 'modem' but in relation to my "broadband modem".

I would like to manage ALL of my partitions at will but before doing this repartitioning I had trouble because there's a limit of 4 primary partitions; that's why I ended up with such a huge partition #1. I'll try later to manage them in such a way that I can do other things as well.

I was running GParted under PL5.28.005. Most of the time I use my default OS, in grub it was PL5.28.005 &, for the moment it's still the same one but I'll gradually switch to Slacko.

About >1.8 yrs ago I started to use PL528 then, about >1.5 yrs ago I d/l the gcc package for using it trying to learn a little of C. At Feb -> Mar of 2012 I deleted something that rendered my desktop BLACK without any icons &, also, some apps stopped running; then, after a little over a month I upgraded to my current version & have been using it since then.

PS. Lately, after the FF issue & resorting to use Seamonkey 2.2 I've been suffering of an ever more persistent HDD led = ACTIVE, if you know what I mean. This's bothering so much that today, after having started Seamonkey for more than 6 hrs I just managed to read only 6 emails, had to bookmark 2 sites & spend the rest of the time trying to reveal the cause of this. At the end I decided to re-start Seamonkey with all the add0ns disabled; that's the reason I'm able to post now this to you. It could have been earlier but due to an approaching thunderstorm my internet connection went down right after rebooting the browser.

Semme

#38 Post by Semme »

Benny- do you have a spare flash drive handy.. something we could store a few key files on?

431, Studio, Wary.. you still boot into these relics? 528 *IS* your GO-2-GUY, right?

What makes you think Slacko can take it's place as far as usability?

Look, I feel your pain- I wanna :wink: help..

benny7440

#39 Post by benny7440 »

Until last week I saw that browsing the Internet was getting to the point that it was a prohibited action by my part while working with Seamonkey under PL5.28.005 so I started to use Slacko & it compared very favorable, newer & different browser.

I started to have some LAN Internet conn. problems & today I remembered these seemingly interminable accesses to the hdd & decided to continue using Slacko but it has started to do the same thing. Here I'm not using Seamonkey but FF 17.0.8.

I've read about a recent malware (can't remember the name but it's made specifically for Linux users. Its' purpose is to steal PWDs in connection to bank accts. & so forth. Could it be that or pointing the finger to prism recent deeds is more probable?

PS. I thought of Slacko as a replacement for PL528 but it could become a best brother, instead!

In relation to that spare/auxilliary memory, how big it needs to be?

In relation to those other OSs, I use them as a kind of Emergency OS if something happens to my regular one; I must confess that PL431, been one of my first Linux OS is regarded as Special. As for the others, I've used them sparingly although Studio has been looked for for A REALLY LONG TIME! I think I was lucky enough that managed to find it & hope I can obtain (this year) an upgrade/enhancement for it. The author had a kind of misunderstanding with others &, probably vengefully, deleted much of the material uploaded...

Semme

#40 Post by Semme »

Since I'm having a hard time putting into context what you've said, what is it you'd like out of a fresh start?

What items have you become accustomed to that you'd like to carry over?

And yeah- I get it. You want two on tap.. Slacko and PL528.

==

Tip! >> If your current partitioning scheme came @ the hands of 528's GParted- STICK WITH IT!

Mix'n match between versions is just asking for trouble..