How to bypass xorgwizard during boot time?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Peterm321

#21 Post by Peterm321 »

anikin Yesterday, at 19:01 wrote: Hi Peterm321,
can you please, provide more details:
1) where do I put this script
2) xinit is in /usr/bin, should I relocate/copy it to /usr/X11R7/bin
3) any other steps
Hi anikin

1) I suppose you could put this script in any location listed in your PATH (echo $PATH). Perhaps /usr/local/bin might be suitable.

2) No. You can amend the script to reflect where xinit is located.

3) If you want to disable xwin, itself a script, you can always amend it:

At the beginning of xwin I put this:

Code: Select all

echo -e "\n\n\n USE runx\n\n\n"
exit 0
A slightly lazy approach I used rather than trawl through the code to amend it to stop overwriting xorg.conf. If you install a later version of Puppy, this kind of amendment will need to be carried over.

anikin

#22 Post by anikin »

Thank you for the explanation.
I have remastered Barry's Raring-5.6.94, Micko's Slacko-5.6-PAE and Pemasu's Raring 3.9.9.2. All are starting up to X, I then type 'xwin' and get to the desktop. All are using a single xorg.conf - the unneeded ones have been removed together with the files, that I believe are xorgwizard related. And there's a truckload of them, not 4 as I mentioned earlier. In total they weigh in at 290 K. I'm sure, more will be discovered later. To cut it short, without xorgwizard the startup process is much, much faster, even if you have to type 'xwin'. Here's something curious. There's no xorgwizard now, but there's still an attempt to overwrite xorg.conf at bootup. (see an attached image) And it still requires this line at the end:

#PuppyHardwareProfile=Intel_r__82945GM_Chipset
. With your script there is no such attempt, xorg.conf remains untouched. But the script doesn't bring puppy to the desktop.
Attachments
xconf.jpeg
(31.32 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

Peterm321

#23 Post by Peterm321 »

anikin Today, at 06:42 wrote: With your script there is no such attempt, xorg.conf remains untouched. But the script doesn't bring puppy to the desktop.
Erm, I hope I am not leading you down a rather complicated path. A solution that I adopted may not be all that fine for someone else. I should mention that I have a full HD install, also I have an addon PCI Graphics card that sits on top, for lack of a better word, of an onboard video controller. Although this disables the onboard video controller in the bios, lspci still "sees" it. For a while kernels that adopted udev caused a kernel panic. The latest kernels do not panic, but xorgwizard fails. For example I have tried Raring 3991 on this machine and xorgwizard fails (goes to black screen & requires reboot). This problem can be fixed by deleting the onboard video device in the /sys/devices/pci* subsystem. Ideally this should be done at the beginning of the initial boot script at /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

However leaving that side issue, the point is that I have been willing to hack the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script, mind you it took a while to figure it out. With a full HD install the config files get updated there and then but interfering with xwin may not be so kind to a frugal install as when Xorg exits there is some further scripts processed including shutdow scripts and system updating. When I exit, using my system, it is to the command prompt and I run my own script to poweroff or reboot am not so sure this would suit you though, or anyone else so it might be worth looking at xwin more closely than I did and see whether the parts that overwrite xorg.conf can be amended.

In terms of the desktop, I understand it is the ROX-Filer program that starts the desktop. For Wary 5.0 this is in $HOME/.xinitrc. There are lines like

#w468 on old PCs this sometimes does not start, see further down...
if [ -f $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1 ];then
 rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin -r $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPan1
else
 rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
fi
I actually have just tested this by killing the ROX-Filer task, the desktop goes blank. Typing

rox -p $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin

At the command prompt restores the desktop icons.

Anyway starting Xorg in the way I describe does produce a desktop but am not sure this would work in all cases particularly when starting a new install. There may be files that need Xorgwizard/Xorg to be run at least once. On a full HD install these files are then all available, not so sure about a frugal or other kind of install. What you might consider is to set up xorg.conf etc the way you want and *then* amend xwin to stop altering it.

Strangely there doesnt seem to be much opposition to the way the starup scripts keep overwriting xorg.conf but it might be worth filing a request in the request or bugs forum(s) to see if the Puppy Derivatives authors are willing to add an option to disable or bypass this aspect but if there aren't many complaints then this change is unlikely I fear.

One trick I find useful to find what scripts are doing what is to use the grep -ir command. For example to find any scripts in /root or /etc that refer to PuppyPin you can cd to /root and or /etc at the command prompt and type
grep -ir PuppyPin *
(and it will search the scripts for this string).