Filename is not valid UTF-8. You should rename it.

Booting, installing, newbie
djodjodjo

Filename is not valid UTF-8. You should rename it.

#1 Post by djodjodjo »

Hello,

First excuse me for my english because I'm French :D. I've SEARCHED A LOT before posting this thread but none of the solutions I've seen have worked for me...

I'm using Puppy 5.6 and I want to backup data from a nearly-broken hard drive. I've put it in an external USB box and I've mounted it with Puppy.

I can see all the files and folders I want to backup BUT all the folders/files with accents are red-colored and it says "Filename is not valid UTF-8. You should rename it." when the mouse goes over.

I've a read-only access to the disk (too much "broken") so I can't rename anything (and anyways there are too many files with accents).

I CAN copy folders with accents but only one-by-one. If I try to copy a folder (with no accent) that contains one or more folders with accents, then I'll have this message : "ERROR : invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character" during the copy.

I've activated UTF-8 at loading (now the accents appear but the problem is still here).

I'd like to do exactly this : http://blog.bullrox.net/ntfs-3g-invalid ... acter.html
but for Puppy

I've tried this too but there is no file named "locale.gen" in /etc/ and the command locale-gen is not a valid command in puppy... :

Code: Select all

For oui, How to make ArchPup speak french Laughing

Download locale.alias.gz, remove false gz extension and copy this file to /usr/share/locale
then open /etc/locale.gen, uncomment
fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
fr_FR ISO-8859-1
en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
then in terminal run locale-gen.
Open /etc/profile and add this
Code:	
export LANG="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
export LC_ALL="fr_FR.UTF-8"
Thanks a lot for your help !

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I think your version of Puppy probably has "Pudd backup drive partition" somewhere in the menu. Have you tried using Pudd to copy the drive? I don't think Pudd will care about the UTF-8.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Bonjour, djodjodjo! Welcome, as we say, to the Kennels!

Your English is far better than my French -- I am American ( "L'Américain...!" :roll: ) and it appears that my tongue is not nearly flexible enough for your language, having been spoiled by English instead :P

We do have a French section here, if you would feel more comfortable asking there. You will find it at the end of this link --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=26

Also, the firstboot wizard (which you can bring up by selecting IIRC "Personalize Settings" from somewhere in the Menu) lets you set your language (and, if needed, keyboard layout). That may help things somewhat as well.

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Puppy has two ways to mount ntfs read-only :
mount-FULL -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
and
ntfs-3g -o ro /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1

It has also two ways to copy :
cp -a /mnt/sda1 /mnt/USBpartitionNr
and
rsync -a /mnt/sda1 /mnt/USBpartitionNr

I got such messages too for ÖÄÜ chars for example . Be aware that the
mount-FULL -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
could mount your ntfs partition in a way that creation of new files would be forbidden, but it would be allowed to use the ROX-Filer file manager to rename it or to write to existing files .
Just click ok without changing the filename/directoryname worked for me to make it linux - utf-8 - happy .

Pudd would use the dd command to clone to another partition or filename on a partition of a size greater than the original ntfs partition .

djodjodjo

#5 Post by djodjodjo »

Hello,

@Flash : So I've tried to use "Pudd backup drive partition" and it gives an "Input/Output" error and stops itself after only 76MB copied...

@starhawk : Thanks for the link I think I'm gonna post a new thread

@Karl Godt : When I plug the external hard drive I just click on the icon to mount it and I always get a red window that appears saying there is an Input/Output error blablabla so the disk can only be accessed in read-only mode... I'll try your command lines but I'm not sure it will work !

Have a nice day

djodjodjo

#6 Post by djodjodjo »

Hello,

Just to tell you I've decided to give up...

I've also tested "Photorec" present in "SystemRescueCd" if you know it.. and I was supposed to wait 567 hours and the hard drive didn't stop creaking (or squeaking I don't know how to say it).

F*cking accents...

djodjodjo

#7 Post by djodjodjo »

Just because of accents I won't be able to retrieve my data... unbelievable...

marcos90

#8 Post by marcos90 »

Precise Linux 5.7.1

I'm facing an similar problem here . I'm trying to copy all files from an old Hard Disk to an new hard disk . But when I start to copy , there are some files that cannot be transfered because it gives me the following message " cp: accessing " Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character
Failed to copy "
I'm assuming this is an "Bad UTF-8 error" , because of the accents on some words . I'll gonna try latest Lubuntu to see what will gonna happens .
EDITED: I've used an live cd with latest Lubunt , and it worked well , no error messages appeared .