Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 with non-PAE 3.9.9 kernel. 13 July 2013

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
edoc

Re: Wireless Question regarding Raring 3.9.9.x

#281 Post by edoc »

Jim1911 wrote:
mikeslr wrote: Any suggestions regarding applications which would show the strength of the signal being received? or the rate at which data is being transmitted?
mikesLr
There is a Wifi Analyzer app available for android phones that shows all wifi in the area with relative strengths.
The Tricorder app (v. 5.12.3) does that plus audio analysis & a whole lot more.

You may have to search for it a little as the wonderful folks at CBS harassed them due to the similarity to a Star Trek gadget.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

mikeslr

wifi strength or speed analyzer

#282 Post by mikeslr »

Hi guys,

Actually, I noticed when using ppm to download pets it gives the speed (kb per second) at which the pet is being downloaded. But downloading pets seemed like a rather cumbersome technique for finding out how efficiently one's wifi was working: and probably brings in other variables. So what I really was looking for was a puppy application (preferably generic) so I could compare the strength/speed of raring to the others.
If it doesn't already exists, creating it seems like a good project. I don't know how many times I've run across a post saying something like "firefox seems to be working much faster under..." (Emphasis supplied).

mikesLr

Billtoo

#283 Post by Billtoo »

mikeslr wrote: Any suggestions regarding applications which would show the strength of the signal being received? or the rate at which data is being transmitted?
On this frisbee screenshot the -68 is the furthest away so weakest I guess, maybe something else altogether don't know.
Attachments
frisbee.jpg
(6.39 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

greengeek

#284 Post by greengeek »

I just want to add a bit more info about my problem with LibreOffice (loaded from quickpet) not appearing in the document menu - and if possible I would like someone else to confirm whether or not what I am seeing is normal.

If I place the Libreoffice sfs into the /home directory it works correctly and is still available in the document menu after rebooting. However, if I place the sfs into the /root directory it does not seem to load and there are never any Libreoffice entries in the document menu (even though the bootmanager seems quite happy to let me select the sfs regardless of which of the two directories it is in...)

Am I violating some rule by trying to have an sfs in /root rather than in /home? Is the bootmanager only capable of loading the sfs from /home and not from/root?

greengeek

#285 Post by greengeek »

don570 wrote:I found a year ago that the program Imagination(slideshow maker)...
Hi Don, is Imagination capable of creating a slideshow that can be viewed by someone who does not already have Imagination installed? (I think I have seen a program that does that by producing a swf output or similar...)

pemasu

#286 Post by pemasu »

greengeek. I use sfs load Rox right click solely to load sfs. It does not matter where it resides. But...it is not automatically reloaded after reboot...if it does not reside in /mnt/home.

About bootmanager sfs loading. I suppose the same mechanism is valid with it. Placing the sfs to the /mnt/home is the right location.
Rox right click sfs load is handy tool.

starhawk

#287 Post by starhawk »

starhawk wrote:This is more bug report than anything else...

Attempted to use the Intel driver (requires reboot) after failure of VESA driver to work... both gave same symptom. TEST_X_NOW works fine... until one clicks "OK" button at which point there is a black screen with blinking cursor. Nothing else happens AFAIK -- waited a few minutes -- keyboard is unresponsive (tried ctrl+c, esc, ctrl+alt+bksp, ctrl+alt+del) and the only way out is a hard shutdown.

Noted that the CPU heatsink felt extraordinarily hot as I was rebooting... might want to see if there's code in there somewhere that could cause the CPU to get stuck in a loop or somesuch.

Of course it might just be my hardware... but I'd appreciate it if you could check the code just in case it isn't ;)
Pemasu, have you had a chance to look at this? Note that it's popping up long before tinkering with WMs/DEs. I just want to make sure whether it's my hardware being fussy or not ;) that's all.

edoc

#288 Post by edoc »

greengeek wrote:I just want to add a bit more info about my problem with LibreOffice (loaded from quickpet) not appearing in the document menu - and if possible I would like someone else to confirm whether or not what I am seeing is normal.

If I place the Libreoffice sfs into the /home directory it works correctly and is still available in the document menu after rebooting. However, if I place the sfs into the /root directory it does not seem to load and there are never any Libreoffice entries in the document menu (even though the bootmanager seems quite happy to let me select the sfs regardless of which of the two directories it is in...)

Am I violating some rule by trying to have an sfs in /root rather than in /home? Is the bootmanager only capable of loading the sfs from /home and not from/root?
Have you tried a symlink?

Right-click -> copy -> Link Relative from the physical location /root to the virtual location /home ?

BTW: Why would you want to clutter and enlarge /root with a SFS? I ask because I am always trying to keep the Personal Storage space demands small by moving stuff out and symlinking it - if effective and necessary.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

pemasu

#289 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. I can change to vesa driver when I let xorgwizard to choose the resolution. I have quite quirky new laptop now. It has native resolution of 1920x1080, other working choice for me is 1360x768.
I used in console: xrandr ....to check what resolutions I can use and then I edited xorg.conf straight to get that lower resolution.

Barry`s xorgwizard didnt had that choice....it had 1366x768 which didnt work. I think that new xorgwizard is quite quirky also.

Editing xorg.conf straight has been more useful for me.

But...xorgwizard and choosing vesa and letting xorgwizard ie xorg to choose right resolution and vesa driver was in use.

Greengeek and Edoc. The problem is with quickpet and the pupmode.
If you download sfs application with it, it downloads it to the /root. sfs_load script does not offer moving the sfs to the /mnt/home or to the root directory of puppy folder with pupmode 3 ie with full install and usb media with savefile.

So....the problem happens with certain pupmode and sfs downloading with quickpet. The manual moving of the sfs application to the /mnt/home is needed.

When I boot hdd frugal installation without savefile ie pupmode 5, the sfs_load script asks the sfs application copy - move choices and moving or copying of the sfs application is semiautomatic. I believe that with hdd frugal install with savefile ie pupmode 12, the same question will be asked.

starhawk

#290 Post by starhawk »

I got it :D :D :D

Here's what works on my hardware, to enable the intel driver...

(1) Boot pfix=ram.
(2) From the firstboot wizard, select what you want, but make sure you check the "Run xorgwizard" box.
(2) Let X restart.
(3) Select the "intel" driver from within xorgwizard. "Let X Choose" your resolution ;) (for me it chose 1024x768) then make your savefile and reboot.
(4) Upon reboot, click the TEST_X_NOW button, click the OK button in the dialog that immediately pops up, and as soon as you see black screen with cursor, REBOOT IMMEDIATELY.
(5) After 2nd reboot, you will be back at the same place. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT select "TEST_X_NOW" this time -- instead, use the button next to it labeled "Fallback". The first option, which should have the make and model of your monitor in it (eView 17f2 for me) is what you want. This bypasses the X-Test which has some problems apparently (I've had plenty of trouble from it in the past).
(6) It should go straight to a desktop at this point. Voila!

The key, it seems, is to bypass the X test -- apparently X doesn't like tests any more than I did in high school :P X can get away with being more stubborn tho, it seems :roll: Worth noting -- I have not checked to see if Fallback works without the TEST_X_NOW trap... at this point I'm also not really interested in finding out (although if someone asks, I'm willing to try) since I've FINALLY got the bastard working.

EDIT: Figured out what it is -- using the intel driver buggers text mode stuff :( just did CTRL+ALT+BKSP to try and invoke a different WM and got the blinking-cursor hang again. Very strange.
Last edited by starhawk on Tue 20 Aug 2013, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#291 Post by greengeek »

pemasu wrote:The problem is with quickpet and the pupmode.
If you download sfs application with it, it downloads it to the /root. sfs_load script does not offer moving the sfs to the /mnt/home or to the root directory of puppy folder with pupmode 3 ie with full install and usb media with savefile.
So....the problem happens with certain pupmode and sfs downloading with quickpet. The manual moving of the sfs application to the /mnt/home is needed.
Pemasu - thanks for looking into this. Much appreciated
edoc wrote:Why would you want to clutter and enlarge /root with a SFS?
Good question - in fact the sfs will take up exactly the same amount of disk space regardless of where I put it because my /home directory and my savefile (containing the /root directory) are on the same partition.

However, I have found that my son tries to tidy up the /home directory by removing files and directories he does not understand - including sfs files. I have trained him to leave the frugal folders and their contents alone (he has a psychiatric condition which can be hard to work with...)

Therefore, putting the sfs files in /root would be a good way for me to have the flexibility offered by bootmanager, while keeping such critical files away from prying eyes.

Unfortunately it seems that bootmanager handles /root and /home differently...

pemasu

#292 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. It sounds like there is bug with xorgwizard and related scripts with your setup.
It would be good if you could report about your problem to the Barry`s blog or pm him and for example post the link to your post.
Right click the posted icon and you can copy the url link of your post.
If there is need to have more information, you could provide it.

Upup Raring has standard latest woof scripts. Nothing changed.

starhawk

#293 Post by starhawk »

I'll PM Barry right now -- never can remember the password that I set up for his blog comments...

Also thanks for explaining how to get Post URLS -- I've never been able to figure that out!! :oops:

EDIT: BarryK, you have a PM.

pemasu

#294 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. I have been a little slow today. Tough day. Anyway...I just started to think your gma500 graphics. And xorg intel driver attempts.

gma500 probably does not work with xorg intel driver. The working ones are modesetting ( best resolution but no acceleration), or vesa driver.

Xorg intel driver is no good for you. At least it has been so as long as I know. So....xorgwizard black screen and so on are quite expected behavior. I believe the xorg driver reverted to modesetting or vesa driver with your attempts to load xorg intel driver.

I also wonder what you are trying to accomplish with your attempts. gma500 is quite poorly supported in Linux. Latest gma500 kernel module driver and xorg modesetting driver produces working combination. You cant expect to have all options with your gma500 graphics chip.

greengeek

#295 Post by greengeek »

mikeslr wrote:Raring does not appear to be as capable as other pups in picking up wireless signals.
I have noticed odd behaviour with several pups regarding wireless detection - but have not been able to pin down the reason - I see poor detection on the first "scan" but improved detection on the second and third scan.

Due to this variability I stay away from frisbee and always use the classic wizard - clicking the scan button manually - and I just watch how many wireless networks are detected on each scan pass.

What I see is often only one network detected on the first scan pass (or none at all...) and an increasing number on the next scan pass. My gut feeling is that the detection power (Rx dB??) starts low and increases on next pass. I don't know if this is a hardware function or somehow written into a script somewhere - or maybe it is possible that routers can detect a weak incoming signal and boost their transmission power somehow. I don't know what triggers this behaviour but I just know that I get much better performance when I drive the scan manually like this.

starhawk

#296 Post by starhawk »

@Pemasu --

Here's what I'm trying to do and where I am now, technologically speaking.

Right now my main system runs win7 :oops: I want to move to Puppy.

I don't like the look of JWM at all :oops: it's a little simple for me. My first GUI love is and always will be GNOME 2 (MATE counts, as a continuation of it).

I have no real way, except by a miracle, of exchanging the motherboard I have (the PICO820 that I linked you to, earlier) for another one of similar size but different (better and/or more compatible) graphics -- and I would be extremely hesitant (at best!) to replace it with a larger board. I got the board on eBay for a song -- my best friend paid for it as an early birthday present so that I could have it, since I didn't have the $85 to pay for it myself (I rarely have more than $30 to spend at any time). The other forum I'm on is a computer enthusiast forum for people with hyper-powerful systems that they like to push even beyond already-impressive factory specs. They don't care (much) about dinky computers that are energy efficient; they'd rather game all day on their insanely powerful systems that need kilowatt-plus power supplies and liquid cooling setups...

As for selling the board... the last time I sold anything on eBay I lost money. The fees are amazingly deadly to one's wallet. I'm not doing that again, it's worth neither the effort spent nor the money earned.

So, given that, what I'm trying to accomplish is to make for myself a GNOME 2 or MATE Puppy that will work on what I have. Once I have that going I'll try to 'move in' and see if I can close Windows and leave that world behind... I've only been wanting to do this for a couple years now...

pemasu

#297 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... px=MTMyODA

According to this article...xfce or lxde would be good candidates for you.
Gma500 support is still mess.

starhawk

#298 Post by starhawk »

LXDE and I don't get along... I'm not hot on XFCE either, more for looks than anything else (it's blue when I want orange, lol) but I can give it another chance, I guess.

starhawk

#299 Post by starhawk »

Now I remember what I didn't like about XFCE... I'll be damned if I can get themes and icons to work! Using jejy69's XFCE for slacko... which works perfectly fine as long as you don't mind it being about as pretty as a well-used dumpster :shock:

When I'm feeling less thoroughly demoralized I'll try arj_pup's XFCE SFS work-in-progress... but to quote Han Solo, "I've got a bad feeling about this..." ;)

Ray MK

#300 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu

JFYI - suspend/resume works now - many thanks - regards Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.