[SOLVED]How to use Generic USB Joypad with Arcade 8 in Puppy

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

Remember- only TWO hours for video, then go out and get some exercise. :wink:

Monsie

How to use Generic USB Joypad with Arcade 8 in Puppy?

#22 Post by Monsie »

Way to go ampersand,

It's good to see that you managed to sort this on your own. It is still a mystery to me as to why you have so many modules listed with your gameport, for example: the Microsoft Sidewinder... :?: I am guessing that once your joystick is connected, it is detected, but the exact model must not be recognized, and so all of the various joystick drivers are loaded up in response... Anyway, no worries, (just me trying to figure things out a little further) the main thing is that you got it working, --period.

A suggestion: it is good Forum etiquette for you to mark -Solved in the Subject line of your thread now. For those offering help, it means they don't have to read through a bunch of posts only to find out the matter was resolved... and it also helps others find solutions in future should they have a similar issue and start searching the threads for answers.

Cheers,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

ampersand

#23 Post by ampersand »

Thanks for the help chaps. As a Linux newbie I was puzzled the programmes I initiated weren't doing anything so far as I could tell. I've tried a couple of distros so far now and think of myself as reasonably savvy but this one had me beat. I would add though that the only thing that works for me is QjoyPad and and all the jstest/joy2key/jscal programmes have been nothing but frustrations.

Thanks once again.

Monsie

[SOLVED]How to use Generic USB Joypad with Arcade 8 in Puppy

#24 Post by Monsie »

You are welcome, ampersand

Although this matter is resolved, I am going to add one more post to set the record straight... particularly because these threads are important in terms of helping others problem solve down the road. In reviewing this thread, I suddenly realized that I overlooked an important detail regarding the joystick being used here, and therefore my advice was incorrect... :oops: It turns out that ampersand is using a joystick connected to a usb port and not the older joystick that is connected to the gameport. No wonder then that he did not get any useful output at the terminal from my instructions. Obviously, I was asleep at the desktop last night... :roll:

In this case, run the following hardware check at the terminal:

Code: Select all

lsusb
or for more detailed info:

lsusb -v
As a test, I connected a usb joystick, then ran a hardware check:

# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 054c:0243 Sony Corp. MicroVault Flash Drive
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 046d:c214 Logitech, Inc. ATK3 (Attack III Joystick)
In this case, I have a Logitech joystick, and the location for this device is given. I am attaching a screenshot to show this. Note that because this is a usb device, there are no specific drivers for it--not unless it was something proprietary and written for Windows for example... Note that the usb joystick will also show up in Hardinfo for those who prefer a gui over the command line.

with apologies,
Monsie
Attachments
usbjoystick-location.png
(14.56 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

ampersand

#25 Post by ampersand »

That was probably my fault for saying it was a PS2 type joypad; I meant t was a Playstation 2 clone, not that it had the old school connector. Sorry for any misunderstanding there.