Upgraded from 2.00-Opera to Multimedia 2.10 - Where is save?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
nick.post

Upgraded from 2.00-Opera to Multimedia 2.10 - Where is save?

#1 Post by nick.post »

First, I thank you all, Puppy, while not being what I primarily use, is one of my favorite time wasters. I really enjoy totally screwing up the configuration of the OS and then not saving. Like hand grenades of bad configs. Mwah ha ha.

Well, sometimes I change something and I obviously want to keep it. Back in 2.00 I hit the save button and it saved, and then I could use my dangerously small linux knowledge to install crap which would mess the system up.

Last night, I scooted my stuff from 2.00-Opera to Multimedia 2.10. After downgrading Firefox so my precious extensions would work again, I wanted to save, and then try to find a decent DVD player so I could continue trying to catch up on my Lost viewing. Uh, where's the desktop icon for save? Looked in the menu...nope. So, I actually rebooted to get it to do.

So, where is it, or what do I type.

Thanks.

NIck

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It's not clear that you're using multisession. How are you running Puppy? As far as I know, the "Save" icon only shows on flash installs and multisession disks after the first session is saved and the disk is booted for the second time.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

Pizzasgood

#3 Post by Pizzasgood »

FYI, Puppy thinks I'm using a usb flash drive (though I'm not), but it has no save icon. I made and uploaded a script to take care of that, but it only works with usb (mode 13), NOT multisession.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

nick.post

#4 Post by nick.post »

Running puppy via a multisession CD. Was on a multisession DVD but when I went to Multimedia 2.10 I had just burned it to a cd to check it out, so it's on that. Saves fine on exit. But, as I mess with the config and mess stuff up, I like to save once I do something good. 2.00 had a save icon on the desktop which I used. Now, no icon, and can't find it in the menu.

I have saved on exit three times at this point, still no save option has popped up.

I'm thinking the simplest option is downgrading. In which case, booting off 2.10 and then inserting the old 2.00 dvd and then exiting, with save, would get me back over?

I just went to Multimedia since it seemed slicker. Though, I haven't looked at Puppy Professional yet. New to all this Linuxyness, except for a breif Ubuntu last year when I was using a machine which was too slow to run XP.

I like the idea of the multisession, and I could take my whole system and setup anywhere. Though, and I'll learn about this soon, I still don't get the permissions of saving onto other drives, such as my USB drive which I keep data on (no personal data on my work computer at all, I'm on portable firefox right now).

Much thanks. Apologies for over-verbosity.

NIck