iso disk workaround (If you can't burn a proper iso disk)

Booting, installing, newbie
alasdair

iso disk workaround (If you can't burn a proper iso disk)

#1 Post by alasdair »

I discovered this by accident, I mentioned it in another post but I thought I would post it seperately in case it may help some one.

Before I go any further this is for Windows users, I run Win98se but it may work for other versions

When I burned my copy of puppy (2.10 seamonkey) I couldn't burn a proper iso disk. It just came out as a single file, this is useless, if you try to boot it, this it won't boot, no matter what you do.

I noticed that when it downloaded it became a winRAR archive in desperation I expanded the archive into a temp folder and burnt all the files onto a disk.

I then made a floppy of wakepup2. You can get it here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=7979

Loaded the CD, loaded the wakepup2 disc into the floppy drive and booted up, success!!!

I am wondering if you could also burn wakepup2 onto the same cd as the expanded iso file and this might work,the documentation on the url above seems to imply it might. Perhaps someone far more knowledgable than me could comment.

This may all seem a bit clunky but if you're stuck with one computer that just won't burn iso files to CD properly and no access to anything else this might help you

I hope this helps someone.

PS The whole sorry story of my burning and booting woes, and some great advice from othershttp://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11469

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Once you've booted into Puppy from the funky CD burned in Windows, you could get online and download the iso while in Puppy, then use Menu -> multimedia -> burniso2cd to burn a perfect bootable Puppy CD. :D

This assumes you have enough RAM. 256MB should be plenty.

r__hughes

#3 Post by r__hughes »

Flash wrote:Once you've booted into Puppy from the funky CD burned in Windows, you could get online and download the iso while in Puppy...........
No need to go online - if the iso file is already saved in a folder in the windows partition it can be accessed using MUT - then when the right drive path is found and plugged into burniso2cd it will burn a perfect bootable Puppy CD as Flash mentioned above