Any password managers for Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
jhouse59

Any password managers for Puppy?

#1 Post by jhouse59 »

I have a Windows program that keeps passwords, contacts, credit card info, etc. Its called Desktop Assistant. I've got it installed on Puppy 2.10. But, I don't like the ay it acts. Can someone tell me of a program that will work in Puppy like this? I've tried Gpasman but don't care for it. Does someone have a favorite?

nick.post

#2 Post by nick.post »

Well, this isn't that, but as for passwords I really like the Passwordmaker.org extension for Firefox. Now, it generates a password based on about six or more parameters you specify, the one that changes the password from site to site is the domain being used as a variable. Great program, and I'd be lost without it.

Back in the windows world, I actually use fSekrit, which is just a notepad type thing that saves the txt doc as an executable with both a master password and also a document password.

But, that's all I have as far as security. I pull out my credit card from my wallet every time I have to enter it into a form.

jhouse59

#3 Post by jhouse59 »

Desktop Assistant is a program to store your passwords in. That way you just have to remember one password. I don't store my credit card info in it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Why not simply save your sweet nothings in an encrypted file? Used in this way, an encryption key serves the same function as a password. Keep in mind that if you forget the key, whatever is stored in the file is lost.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

I use the safest and most portable storage media within my reach for my passwords. I call it my brain. In fact, most of them have moved into my subconsious memory. I look at the site I log into, and my fingers type the password. They sometimes go to fast and transpose letters though.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

nick.post

#6 Post by nick.post »

I used to do that, Pizza. But I was always using the same passwords over and over. Cortners, 553331, Steelcat9, Spanielhead, eieio. I can let you know them because I have stopped using them. With over 20+ logins I do, and with only five or so different passwords, it wasn't very secure.

Now, that said. Even using 1234 is more secure than, say, the conventional mail, and almost beats out tumbler locks. As long as you don't have spyware keylogging you, no one would ever guess 1234.

What I'm using now are hideous things like Rohrobrii1 (that would be it at oneclock.net, using the algorithm I have set up, if it had a login). Secure, but so much so that even if I showed the thing to someone, the likelyhood of them being able to enter it without looking at the piece of paper is very small.