Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 08:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
[resolved] slacko-5.6 / Punctuation for greek
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
panmar

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013, 16:25    Post subject:  [resolved] slacko-5.6 / Punctuation for greek
Subject description: does not work

The punctuation (, . etc) for greek does not work. In puppy-precise works fine.
Ich freue mich, das System ist sehr gut. Für den täglichen Einsatz muss die Punctuation funktionieren. In allen anderen puppies funktioniert sie sehr gut.
(Thinkpad T61)

Thanks

Last edited by panmar on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
npierce

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 11:54    Post subject:  

panmar wrote:
In puppy-precise works fine.

Which version of Puppy precise is that? I had the same problem with precise 5.6, 5.7.1, slacko 5.5, and racy 5.2.2.

The attached file solved the problem for me. Download, decompress, and move it to the /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/ directory.

Then run the following two commands:
Code:
rm /var/lib/xkb/server-*.xkm
setxkbmap -layout gr

[EDIT, 2013-Aug-26: I have modified the attached file to add support for dead_psili and dead_dasia to the polytonic variant. See my post for today further down for details.]
gr.gz
Description  Corrected Greek XKB symbol file for PC keyboard with psili and dasia support
gz

Download 
Filename  gr.gz 
Filesize  1.4 KB 
Downloaded  127 Time(s) 

Last edited by npierce on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 17:49; edited 2 times in total
panmar

PostPosted: Sun 25 Aug 2013, 12:58    Post subject:  

Thank you very mutch, it works correctly !
Ευχαριστώ πολύ. Το precise δεν το έχω πλέον.

Χαιρετώ από Γερμανία
npierce

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 17:57    Post subject:  

You're welcome. I'm glad it is working for you.

Yes, punctuation will work in Precise (or any Puppy) without the new gr file, if you use setxkbmap or xkbconfigmanager to select one of the variants of the gr layout, such as "extended", or if you have another layout loaded first. The new gr file allows the basic gr layout to work by itself, like when it is loaded by quickcountry or quicksetup when a new Puppy is initially booted.

While looking further into the gr symbol file, I noticed that forum member paokman noticed that the polytonic variant of the greek keyboard layout doesn't support psile or daseia. Forum member Burunduk suggested a fix that worked fine for paokman. (See: Greek Polytonic Keyboard Layout Bug on Slacko 5.3.3?)

Yes, the gr file distributed in current Puppies maps a couple of dead keys which are apparently useless for Greek. The shifted state of the tenth and eleventh alphabetic keys in the middle row (what would be : (colon) and @ (at) on a UK keyboard or : (colon) and " (quotedbl) on a US keyboard) map to dead_horn and dead_ogonek, respectively. One can only guess why someone thought that a Vietnamese diacritic mark would be useful on a Greek keyboard. My guess is that someone used it because it looked similar to a psile. Likewise, the ogonek looks somewhat similar to a daseia, although it is positioned below the letter, not above.

Anyway, I've not been able to get those dead keys to combine with any of the other keys of the polytonic layout. So I've decided to add the fix suggested by Burunduk to yesterday's fix for punctuation.

The psile and daseia dead keys now work: ἀἁ

In fact, this is the same mapping now used in the current gr file from X.org, so should be consistent with other distros.

I have updated the gr.gz file in my earlier post to add this support. This can be tested by downloading the updated gr.gz file and following the instructions in my earlier post, except replace the last command with this:
Code:
setxkbmap -layout gr -variant polytonic
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: