Slacko-5.5.4G keep asking me the same config questions...

Using applications, configuring, problems
benny7440

#41 Post by benny7440 »

For the ordinary things I just need/want a recent browser that runs well with PL528 and, probably, with Slacko, too. The other distros are not meant for daily/common chores.

BTW, with any other puppy that I've tried so far, if I close the lid of the VAIO it turns it off but with Slacko it turns both off (also the external monitor). Do you know if and how I can disable this feature?

I want to use power only at one monitor and that's the one that functions = the external one.

PS. That constant & lengthy accesses to the hdd tonight is, mostly, missing due to a Tab that I didn't opened = WQXR (radio station). At the same time I'm hearing another web station through pupRadio; a little strange!

Semme

#42 Post by Semme »

Do the sites you frequent most require JavaScript and/or Flash?

Have you ever surfed Opera?

I've heard mention of the lid thingy.. nothing offhand.

This WQXR.. NY classical, right?

How'd you like to listen without a browser?

benny7440

#43 Post by benny7440 »

I guess that the answer to your first question is yes. The list of my daily sites are as follows:
  • WQXR
    Yahoomail
    MyYahoo
    This forum (sometimes more than one page)
    Some other forum or long-page/tutorial/else
All those are merely Tabs in my browser.

I've used Opera in the past for a short period of time; I didn't like it much but have to recognize that it works.

You're right, that same station at NY.

With respect to listening without a browser, specially for this kind of sites, is not very good. My point here is that at the web-stations' sites there're usually some links that are useful and relevant that you miss completely if you use a simple web-radiio player. But you can find with the browser the addrs & insert it at the player & you're done. Just a few more seconds & clicks! Think that it's something that one can get used to, with time.

Semme

#44 Post by Semme »

So it looks like Firefox stays? How'bout we load a fresh copy onto 528?

This'll help manage active content >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... js-switch/

As for playing WQXR in your browser- doesn't it eat lots of cpu?

There's surfing and there's listening..

When it's only listening you want, wouldn't it be nice to surf without that memory hit?

benny7440

#45 Post by benny7440 »

If you use FF, what version do you sugget? I'm asking because with the previous version I used for many-many months I never had an issue of any kind (FF 14.?). I don't know how much diference there is from that one to FF 22, which was the one I upgraded to about 2 months ago but think there's an important and congruent diference with my issue. Somewhere from 14.? to 23.? there must be one at least that doesn't produce that behaviour. Another thing is, should I choose from an already prepared PET file or is it OK if I d/l from Mozilla directly?

That thing you mentioned about memory "picnic" in relation to JS/Flash is something I never noticed, maybe because I didn't know what/where to look for.

For the time been I'm listening to that same station but with the help of PupRadio.

Semme

#46 Post by Semme »

PupRadio's fine and good for someone like you.

==

The JS thingy's great when going between active and non-active sites.

Yahoo requires it to function properly, a place like Murga's doesn't.

Did you manage to get it on your toolbar?

==

For FF 528, this is what's found by Pfind?

Code: Select all

/etc/profile.d/firefox 
/usr/bin/run_firefox 
/usr/share/applications/firefox-web-browser.desktop 
/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox48.png 
/var/local/icons/firefox48 
/var/local/icons/firefox48.png
Is /etc/profile.d/firefox filled with FF stuff?

==

When it's time to dwnld, you'll want the english version, correct?
Attachments
js_toolbar.jpg
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 251 times

benny7440

#47 Post by benny7440 »

My web navigation got so slow that I decided to d/l the newest PET from Quickpet for FF from PL 528, the OS I'm using right now, which is FF 10.0. It started automatically to d/l an update but I stopped it. It's working fine, for now; but I've to admit that I haven't gone to WQXR yet but I will.

I haven't d/l that Plugin because I don't know if it can be added to this version of FF but I'll investigate that later.

I went to the PPM to see if I could uninstall Seamonkey but there was no entry there, maybe because I installed it from a PET file NOT coming from the Official Repositories. Don't know this for sure but, if it's not giving me any trouble just for been there I'll leave it right there, for the time been.

When I decide to d/l another more recent version of FF it will be the English version.

The "firefox" Pfind gave me the included image after installing the pet that I d/l.
Attachments
semme_4.png
(61.49 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

Semme

#48 Post by Semme »

That's a *personal* Pfind search, not what I asked.. And we still wanna go for the latest >> DWNLD

benny7440

#49 Post by benny7440 »

Sorry for my 'speedy' clicks! I'm including the "system" search with this post.
Attachments
semme-5.png
(84.76 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

Semme

#50 Post by Semme »

What's in /etc/profile.d/firefox? Still wanna try a clean install with the latest?

benny7440

#51 Post by benny7440 »

At that location is a text file that I'm including below:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/firefox:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}"
MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/lib/firefox"
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH="/usr/lib/firefox/plugins:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH

Hope this time I'm doing what you expect me to do!

Semme

#52 Post by Semme »

Not one iota should you need that file. If WQXR works with FF10's FP, it's smooth 8) sail'in..

benny7440

#53 Post by benny7440 »

Do you mean that I can delete it?

I noticed today that there were '2' different entries at the Menu>Internet for FF (1. Firefox & 2. Firefox web browser), one next to the other. I choose today the 2nd one and the update installed immediately (version 23). It's working fine.

Still, I don't know if I still have the FF 10 installed & usable somewhere but Seamonkey is available. For the moment I don't perceive any memory problem for this, so action is not urgent!

Semme

#54 Post by Semme »

Yep.

Good to hear it works. Two in the menu's nothing more than an extra desktop file.

Is Seamonkey the latest?

benny7440

#55 Post by benny7440 »

Seamonkey is not the latest, I beleive. It was d/l maybe more than a year ago. It sometimes showed me a screen stating that that a website was trying to trick it to d/l an update; I always dismissed that message, so I don't know if it was an update for a plugin or Seamonkey itself. I went a couple of times to the Mozilla site to check for updates but didn't find anything. I used for that the "Check for updates" button from the menu bar at Seamonkey.

Semme

#56 Post by Semme »

You get a chance to load the JS thingy?

benny7440

#57 Post by benny7440 »

No, not until now but I will do it right away because, even though I don't know how to use it, I believe it will be better with it than the experience I m having AGAIN with FF 23. It's doing that thing again; since it (FF 10 PET) didn't give me the chance to avoid d/l this update I was even thinking of another strategy: current FF ver = 23 vs. last known GOOD FF ver = 14.*, go for ver 18, check for a week or so & then decide if it's a good idea to jump forward, backwards or not jumping anymore.

This FF version doesn't even have a button to deactivate JS, at least that I recognized as such.

But, I'll give that addon a chance first.

Edit: I d/l, restarted/installed? the addon but can't find any icon that gives me any clue that I can use it.

2nd Edit: I found a way to put it at the Tools tab. Now, the only thing I need is to learn how to use it... How do you use it, if it's the case?

Semme

#58 Post by Semme »

We do this because FF's fickle about it's install. Version overlap, placement- can cause problems.
I wrote: Now those names in your 528 FF file list appear to be dated. I asked because you said you were having trouble.. May I suggest wiping FF from the system and reinstalling a fresh build, all of which I'll help you sort once given the go ahead.
Until we get you sorted, this you're gonna refrain from..
YOU wrote:Even though you didn't tell me to..
Because this is the objective.
YOU wrote: For the ordinary things I just need/want a recent browser that runs well with PL528..
And believe me, most all run fine. FF itself tends to run heavy, especially running *active* content, and the reason we're gonna try'n teach you not only how to get JS Switch on the toolbar, but how and when to use it. Needless to say, keep this somewhere handy.

If you're OK with going forward, I'd like you to open PPM and REMOVE the current FF. You'll still have both SM and Opera.

Run a Pfind *system* search for firefox >> goto 'list' >> 'export to text editor' and c/p here.

Then I'd like you to open a console and type: which firefox

If nothing is returned, I'll pass along the next step..

benny7440

#59 Post by benny7440 »

OK, I went to PPM and removed firefox; it still referred to it as FF 10.0(?). Also, there appear a consecutive block of lines empty (about 3-4), it's as if there was something that I deleted but the space occupied on the list is still there. Hope this isn't a problem!

BTW, I do have Seamonkey but I don't have Opera installed at any of my distros.

The output of the list created by Pfind is included below:

/etc/profile.d/firefox
/usr/bin/run_firefox
/usr/lib/firefox
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox
/usr/share/applications/firefox-web-browser.desktop
/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox48.png
/var/local/icons/firefox48
/var/local/icons/firefox48.png

Since you have mentioned in the past something about time stamps and that info isn't included with the list you asked for, I'm submitting to you a screenshot that includes it in case it's important.

After running the command "which firefox", nothing was returned as output for it.
Attachments
semme-7.png
(51.88 KiB) Downloaded 199 times

Semme

#60 Post by Semme »

Benny- dwnld the doggy bag to /root.

Click and OK the dialogs so she extracts to ~/

Inside you'll find two files.

Firefox.desktop you drag'n drop to /usr/share/applications. Delete the original after doing so.

The other, firefox_preinstall.sh leave in the benny folder.

You're gonna :roll: right click firefox_preinstall.sh >> file >> 'permissions' and make it executable by selecting yes.

It should have most likely turned green- good.

Now besides the files it's going to remove, it's gonna rename your existing FF 'user' folder.

Not to worry. I want you to start with a :wink: *clean* profile.

Now, click firefox_preinstall.sh >> ONLY once.

To confirm it's done it's job, copy'n paste this line into a terminal:

ls -l /etc/profile.d/firefox | grep firefox
If it answers >> ls: cannot access /etc/profile.d/firefox: No such file or directory.. Success!

Good.

Now the FF pkg you dwnldd.. click it >> XArchive opens >> hit extract on the menu bar >> select all and OK the dialog.

Then :roll: browse (point it) to /usr/lib and hit OK.

MAKE CERTAIN after making this selection the extract directory in the window says >> /usr/lib.

You're now clear to hit OK.

To prove it's right, copy'n paste:

ls -l /usr/lib | grep firefox
Similar to this- success >> drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 2013-08-17 21:08 firefox

We're there, right? Good! Almost..

Copy'n paste:

ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
After the above:

which firefox
.. should yield >> /usr/bin/firefox

Confirm the menu item works..

Then go to 'edit' >> prefs >> advanced >> 'update' and hit 'check, but let me choose' >> close.

Get this far and we'll config the rest in the next day or so..
Attachments
benny.tar.gz
(443 Bytes) Downloaded 196 times
Last edited by Semme on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.