Having trouble booting puppy to my Compaq 1240 laptop.

Booting, installing, newbie
belteshazzar7

Having trouble booting puppy to my Compaq 1240 laptop.

#1 Post by belteshazzar7 »

Obiviously I am having trouble booting ^_^

Now, I recieved an old laptop to take overseas with me from my father in-law

It is a compaq 1240, 233 mhz proccessor, 64mb of ram, and a 4 gig hardrive, one usb port in the back, a floppy drive (working), and a cd drive (not working), and is running windows XP professional :x

Now I have tried loading the puppylinux to a 128mb usb flash drive and used a boot floppy but it could not find puppy linux. It said I needed to put a file called "pupxusb" on the flash drive so it could recognize it. (I am not sure how to do this. I tried creating a file with notebook but I am not for sure if that is how it is supposed to be done like what is it suppose to save as?)

next I tried putting the files on the c: drive and created the pupxide file with the dos prompt but that did not work.

I really want to get xp off this computer because it runs so slow with it on and cannot do hardly anything useful at all. I liked the looks of puppy linux but if doesn't work is there any other distributions that could?

Your help is much appreciated.
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems. " -Linus Torvalds

rarsa

#2 Post by rarsa »

First:
The contents and format of pupxusb really does not matter, it is mostly a 'flag' meaning that the floppy boot batch process will look for an USB device with a file with that name without even trying to open or look at the contents. So notepad is OK. An empty file is OK, A word file is OK, etc.

Second:

What drive is the USB being recognized as in DOS?
What error are you getting?

Third:
I remember that I tried the floppy boot method and I had to modify the Autoexec.bat. I don't have the floppy with me as I gave it away and I don't use it. I think that the modification was to pass the same parameters to the USB boot proccess as it does for the CD (root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz PFILE=pup001-none-262144)

belteshazzar7

#3 Post by belteshazzar7 »

rarsa wrote:First:
The contents and format of pupxusb really does not matter, it is mostly a 'flag' meaning that the floppy boot batch process will look for an USB device with a file with that name without even trying to open or look at the contents. So notepad is OK. An empty file is OK, A word file is OK, etc.

Second:

What drive is the USB being recognized as in DOS?
What error are you getting?

Third:
I remember that I tried the floppy boot method and I had to modify the Autoexec.bat. I don't have the floppy with me as I gave it away and I don't use it. I think that the modification was to pass the same parameters to the USB boot proccess as it does for the CD (root=/dev/ram0 initrd=image.gz PFILE=pup001-none-262144)
First: Well I am good on that file then.

Second: I have to check I believe it is either E: or F:

Third: It did say it was having some type of error with atuoexec.bat Now how do I edit the autoexec.bat. Do I use note pad again for that

Thank you for you reply too.

edit: where is autoexec.bat also?
"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems. " -Linus Torvalds

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

This may be no help at all, but pakt has just made a new boot floppy he calls WAKEPUP.

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

Autoexec.bat is in the floppy.

#6 Post by Guest »

First . Does the usb port work?
If so can the bios be set to boot from it?
Third, buy a usb floppy drive they are about 30.00 or you might find them for less if you get a deal.
Now, Is XP formatted NTFS or Fat32?
If it is Fat32 you are ok. If it is NTFS you will need to wipe your drive/reformat it to a fatXX format.
The USB floppy will get you to the fdisk from a win98 boot disk for reformating the drive. If all goes well.

Once the drive is formatted pop in your Puppy Linux CD and when the boot splash screen loads press 3 and enter to make Puppy load in to ram only. Once Puppy loads you should be able to install Puppy to the HD and go with it.
Good luck. :D :D

Freedom

#7 Post by Freedom »

Anonymous wrote:First . Does the usb port work?
If so can the bios be set to boot from it?
Third, buy a usb floppy drive they are about 30.00 or you might find them for less if you get a deal.
Now, Is XP formatted NTFS or Fat32?
If it is Fat32 you are ok. If it is NTFS you will need to wipe your drive/reformat it to a fatXX format.
The USB floppy will get you to the fdisk from a win98 boot disk for reformating the drive. If all goes well.

Once the drive is formatted pop in your Puppy Linux CD and when the boot splash screen loads press 3 and enter to make Puppy load in to ram only. Once Puppy loads you should be able to install Puppy to the HD and go with it.
Good luck. :D :D
Ok this time the forum logged me out. Why did it do that?
This is also me.????????????????????
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US