How to downgrade CUPS in Slacko?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Subito Piano

How to downgrade CUPS in Slacko?

#1 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi! I tried a few different Puppies and the latest Slacko gets everything to work on my quirky Lenovo S205 -- except detecting network printers. This is due to it using Cups 1.4.8; Cups 1.4.3 immediately detected all attached/networked printers. Soo -- I copied my settings over from Lucid 5.2.8 and manually installed the network printers on Slacko (kudos to printmeister rcrsn51). However, I won't be able to easily detect new network printers and really, cups should just find them automatically. How do I downgrade Slacko from Cups 1.4.8 to 1.4.3?

Thanks!

P.S. -- do i speak for 90% of Linux users when i say "When Windows doesn't work, i get mad at Microsoft; when Linux doesn't work, i get mad at Mirosoft" -- ??!??!

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you install a networked printer in a big-boy distro like Ubuntu, you will notice that they use their own setup wizard instead of the CUPS web interface.

I suspect that their wizard does a network scan for the standard printer ports 515, 9100, etc. Your simplest option would be to do the same using PeasyPort.

If you really want to downgrade CUPS in Slacko, your best bet would be to go into the Ubuntu Lucid repo and get their CUPS packages. But this could be an adventure.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

Just to chip in cups 1.3.10 detects our network printer just fine... generally had problems with newer releases.
As it happens for most setups I have I used patriots pets which might be a slimmer puppy like option if you wanted to try that route.
Note you would normally be changing the spooler so such as gutenprint and hplip (ie the drivers) would be unaffected.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 26&t=40225

mike

Subito Piano

#4 Post by Subito Piano »

hmm -- not feeling particularly adventurous with all the messing around with computers i've been through the last two weeks...!!!

rcrsn51, i ran across a post by you which guided me into using AppSocket plus the networked printer's IP to manually and the printer through cups You also had a little pet you made so that if the printer's IP changed, Puppy would use the printer name to find its new IP automatically....but while setting up Puppy, i lost that bookmark! Do you have the link to that pet still?

Subito Piano

#5 Post by Subito Piano »

OH - MY - WORD --- !!!!!

Sooo -- there never was a problem with Cups -- it changed for the better and NOBODY documented it!

I ALWAYS hit "Find new Printers" when setting up cups. For DAYS i had been trying to get Cups to find the networked printers. Tonight, trying to set up my home wireless printer sever, I accidentally hit "Manage Printers" instead of "Find New Printers" -- and it was there listed already!!!! Image

Nice to know it, umm, works so well..... :roll:

Wow....just wow.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

What Connection URI is this network printer using?

socket://aaa.bbb.cc.dd ?

ipp://aaa.bbb.cc.dd:631/server/printer ?

What Make and Model have been assigned to the printer?

Subito Piano

#7 Post by Subito Piano »

Well, i added two manually at school using appsocket above). This last one is listed thusly in the guest computer i am printing from:

Code: Select all

Description:	HOME LaserJet 1100
Driver:	HP LaserJet 1100 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.5 (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
Connection:	usb://HP/LaserJet%201100
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
Wireless connection all around.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

home wireless printer sever
What is this? A USB printer connected to a Puppy machine and declared sharable?

If so, there is nothing new happening here. A Puppy CUPS client should automatically detect it and treat it as an installed printer. So you don't need to run Add Printer or Find New Printers.

Read here at the end.

Which Puppy version is running the server?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

I believe what we both were expecting was detecting the likes of a printer that connects to the net rather than a cups shared printer if that makes sense... well least its all happy after all :)

mike