Booting Puppy Precise LiveCD Nvidia issues SOLVED!

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
toowoombalinux

Booting Puppy Precise LiveCD Nvidia issues SOLVED!

#1 Post by toowoombalinux »

G'day
I have noticed some people with an Nvidia computer say they get a blank screen when booting later versions of Linux (like Ubuntu, Slackware and Puppy Precise); I have a fairly modern Gaming Laptop with Dual Nvidia Cards (sli) and since the beginning of 2012 I get a repeating flashing screen of colours - Red, White, Blue and Black....unfortunately on many forums I have noticed that the responses have ranged from incredulity (that we're either ignorant fools or we've done something wrong) to no response (in the too hard basket). It's actually not our fault - it's actually the nouveau nvidia driver...

A passing comment on the SolusOS forums mentioned nomodeset when booting.... this solved the Debian/Ubuntu liveCD booting issues. Puppy Precise did not respond to this. Puppy User Peter.M (genius) suggested a solution but was using the non-retro version but couldn't get a stable Desktop; now we BK has done a retro version with the nv driver included...

Here's how to boot Puppy Precise:
Get Puppy Precise-retro.
Boot parameter is Puppy acpi=off
You now have access to a working Desktop from the LiveCD.

I haven't yet tested this on an install but I expect that I need to add acpi=off to Grub to boot. Once the Proprietary Driver has been installed that grub parameter could be removed....will post back with results.

Cheers
Martin

PS. I wonder about the Nouveau driver thing as I have tested this on the non-retro version of Puppy Precise and get a working Desktop....curious??

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, toowoombalinux.

As for me, on my desktop computer, I replaced my old Nvidia M440 card
with an Radeon 9600 card dated 2003 and that solved the problem
getting to a proper desktop on more recent Puppies.

Also please read: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#722058
for an additional setting to include in the launch line in the case of NVidia cards.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

The nouveau driver does seem to be being forced on users generally and although it has come along well in terms of behaviour its by no means 100% along with a still developing kernel mode setting. Nothing like beta testing.

The Nv driver though basic is solid as a 2D option. Its not exactly large either and is sufficient for such as web browsing, office and movie watching. It should be left in.

The drivers from Nvidia themselves I have always found to be excellent but some distros are trying to make life difficult if you want to use it...one in particular deleted the xorg.conf after reboot to force back the nouveau inspite of me installing a working and faster nvidia.

Stuff to watch out for. Being forced to replace a perfectly good card is not on really.

mike

toowoombalinux

#4 Post by toowoombalinux »

Ah Musher,
I wish I could replace my Nvidia card on my Gaming Lappie - but I can't as it already has the latest card that can be installed and it only allows dual sli cards to be installed... i would if i could but I can't so i'm not but if i could i would... so I had to find a work-around. I kinda expect others in the same boat.

I too have found the proprietary nvidia driver to work fine - back in 2006 when I had an ATI card I looked enviously upon Nvidia users with their 3D enabled cards...

Cheers
Martin