Our Dumb Mistakes

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
puppyluvr

#61 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Variable=everything. Remove variable, recursive.

A linux virus?
Lol.

rm -rf /*

is not funny in any context.
:D
Its like "He who should not be typed"
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

starhawk

#62 Post by starhawk »

This is the front panel from a Neoware CA19 thin client that I've been modifying... I'm trying to pull a My Fair Lady sorta thing and make it into a more standard desktop. (Front Panel = the circuit board with the lights, switches, and sometimes ports on the front of your PC.)

Look at the two USB ports. One of these things is not like the other, and that's why I'm putting this here. I have NO idea how it happened, either -- after all, I don't drink... :P

jakobcornelis

#63 Post by jakobcornelis »

greengeek wrote:So many times I've saved files to sda2 or sdc2 (whatever) and never been able to find them again because I had not mounted the destination partition first...
OK, but why do I get stuff on the ROX display of an unmounted sda5 that's not on the mounted sda5. Maybe that's where your stuff is (No! Not on my sda5, on your sda2, or whatever).

NickAu

#64 Post by NickAu »

I once was messing around on Windows and was playing with the zone alarm firewall and Locked it down. No traffic in or out. Cost me $ 100 dollars for a Pc tech to come to my place and click 3 buttons and it was back to normal.

ardvark

#65 Post by ardvark »

NickAu wrote:Cost me $ 100 dollars for a Pc tech to come to my place and click 3 buttons and it was back to normal.
Oh, wow! For something like that, I would usually do it for free, sometimes five or ten dollars at most. :shock:

One of my worst was a Windows reinstall for a customer who had contracted a virus (my very first job for a customer back in 2001.) It was one of those that can survive the typical reformat and reinstall. I didn't think to wipe the partition and it came back after I left. :oops:

Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 07:45, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#66 Post by greengeek »

jakobcornelis wrote:OK, but why do I get stuff on the ROX display of an unmounted sda5 that's not on the mounted sda5. Maybe that's where your stuff is (No! Not on my sda5, on your sda2, or whatever).
Yep, that's it! See I knew it was there all along. Hah! Not so dumb after all. I knew it had to be there, or wherever. Definitely.
:-)

8-bit

#67 Post by 8-bit »

starhawk wrote:This is the front panel from a Neoware CA19 thin client that I've been modifying... I'm trying to pull a My Fair Lady sorta thing and make it into a more standard desktop. (Front Panel = the circuit board with the lights, switches, and sometimes ports on the front of your PC.)

Look at the two USB ports. One of these things is not like the other, and that's why I'm putting this here. I have NO idea how it happened, either -- after all, I don't drink... :P

Are you sure the second port is not Apple firewire?

starhawk

#68 Post by starhawk »

Quite. It's rectangular, and the system in question does not support IEEE-1394A and IIRC predates -1394B.

EDIT: also, -1394A connectors have six pins. -1394B connectors have nine. The one in the pic has four.

Basically what happened is that the 'tongue' which holds the pins got removed when I plugged in a USB cord, not realizing that the 'tongue' was internally busted and held in by sheer force of luck. The system rebooted, too.

8-bit

#69 Post by 8-bit »

Thank you for the explanation.
Along that line, I recently bought a 4gig flash drive that did not have the full USB connector shroud on it. One just looked and plugged it into a USB port to the connector side of the tab in the port.
How cheap can a manufacturer get!

starhawk

#70 Post by starhawk »

Had something similar a long time ago -- a SanDisk Micro... er... somethingorother. It was 256megs, Road Work Orange, and IIRC the packaging bragged about how much storage you got in the then-tiny physical size...

Of course, that was seven or so years ago, and now we have multiple gigs in the space of a Logitech Nano Receiver for a wireless mouse ;)

NickAu

#71 Post by NickAu »

You mean a cheap USB connector like this?? Yes its plastic with no metal shroud

[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

p310don

#72 Post by p310don »

I have some x265 video that wouldn't play in VLC in Tahr, so I compiled the latest mplayer and it worked. Then I decided to install smplayer to watch the videos, but no sound. I've been fiddling for about a week, looking for alternate versions of the videos etc.

This morning, I went into sound settings in smplayer and changed to audio output driver from "null" to alsa and it all works fine. :oops:

greengeek

#73 Post by greengeek »

p310don wrote:This morning, I went into sound settings in smplayer and changed to audio output driver from "null" to alsa and it all works fine. :oops:
Tee hee :-) There must be quite a stack of audio bits all lined up in your null folder by now...
:-)

learnhow2code

#74 Post by learnhow2code »

starhawk wrote:Runs XP because "you get what you pay for", etc.
cool, that means you can get whatever you want by paying whatever you want. send barry $200 and we will supply a wallpaper that says "Puppy Enterprise Server OS" :)

starhawk

#75 Post by starhawk »

learnhow2code,

In the case of that quote, I was in fact referring to my mother's position on why she prefers Windows, and I was being rather sarcastic about it.

For the record, Mom still is using Windows (she's on Win7 now) and still refuses to even look at Puppy (or any kind of Linux) because she's convinced it can't be anywhere near as good...

...well, at least she'll never know what she's missing!

p310don

#76 Post by p310don »

Oh man, this is a dumb one.

I have been fiddling with a PC to try to get Mupen64plus to run so my wife can play mario64. Anyway, I found a pet and got it to work, but no sound. I have installed and uninstalled all versions of SDL I could find (apparently related to sound) and fiddled with setting, volume sliders everything.
After about an hour of stuffing around, I gave up, checked my facebook and discovered that a video I played on there didn't have sound. Dammit I've ruined sound.
Then it came to me. I turned off the speakers earlier because my wife and daughter have gone to sleep. Turned them on, and suddenly sound is working again... :oops:

drunkjedi

#77 Post by drunkjedi »

Nah that happens,
I have converted few friends to puppy.
They don't come to forum, but ask me for any problem. (I am not even slightly fit for that job though)

One friend called me and said he has deleted drivers for his sound card.
I was surprised, I asked him how did he do it.
He told me, may be his kid did it or some virus, as he has no sound.
That was his experience from when he was using Windows.
Luckily I remembered my brother's advice from when he was in a computer company and troubleshooted on phone, he said always start from power plug.

That actually saved an hour of my phone time.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#78 Post by Flash »

I've mentioned this before but it's worth telling again: I once spent days doing everything I could think of to get the sound to work, including reinstalling Windows and different drivers. Eventually I thought to check and discovered that I'd plugged the speakers into the microphone jack. In my defense, the two jacks were similar in color and on the backside of the computer where it's awkward to see them clearly.

Still, it's worth writing out a checklist before you start troubleshooting. Maybe then you'll think to prioritize things like double-checking the power switches and plugs before reinstalling Windows, or if there's gas in the tank before you tear apart an engine that won't start. I've never done that, but I've heard of people who did.

drunkjedi

#79 Post by drunkjedi »

Yeh a friend of mine did that thing.

He bought a car, drove it few days, then called it's service station one night, blasted them off for giving him 'faulty' product that has stopped working after only few days. It wouldn't start no matter what he did.

The service centre guys couldn't assess the situation on phone, they arranged a tow truck and took car back.
Only to discover he just ran it dry.
He used up the full tank they gave, never refuelled.

Now even after some 6-7 years we friends constantly remind him to fill up, just to tease him.

Burn_IT

#80 Post by Burn_IT »

I disconnected the battery on my car when I knew I was going into hospital for an operation that was going to take some time.
When I came out I need to go to the chemist for a prescription and couldn't start the car and called the RAC
I was quite embarassed when they told me the battery was disconnected.

If you ask why - things like the clock drain the battery quite quickly.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett