How to install to HD (no CD, only floppy?) (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
Lynswin

How to install to HD (no CD, only floppy?) (Solved)

#1 Post by Lynswin »

Hi

I apologise if this has been asked before but I have done a search and read the Wiki but I am not sure that ay of the options are relevant to me. You should also be aware that I am completely new to Linux and have no knowledge about what to do with it although I am quite proficient with Windows (probably a hinderance in this case!).
I have a Dell latitude CSx which has 500mhz processor and 128mb RAM. It came pre installed with windows xp when I bought it secondhand a couple of years ago. It has an external floppy drive and a PCMCIA CD drive which is NOT bootable. I also have a USB port but this is not bootable either. I am currently running windows xp on a ntfs drive.
As you can imagine, this machine does groan under XP if you ask it to do more than one thing at a time so I thought I would put a smaller OS on it. It is used mainly for internet and word processing and connects using a pcmcia netgear wifi card. I have tried a few of the live cds on my other pc and decided that puupy would probably be my best option but I have a problem with installing as I can only boot from a floppy or a HDD. I did try using the wakepup floppy but this did not detect any of my drives. Also, I have read through the 'install Puppy on a wondows ntfs drive' but I am not sure if I still need a bootable cd drive for this to work (besides which I cannot seem to find the pupoo1.zip file anywhere). I have also read the 'install from ms dos' but I am unsure about my capabilities and I am worried I may end up 'losing' windows and not having an OS at all!

If anyone has any suggestions or can help me out I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Lynda

Rickrandom

#2 Post by Rickrandom »

Hard Drive Install:

Unless you have your XP installation disk(s) there is always going to be some risk with installing onto the hard drive, but I used this

http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic ... highlight=

on one laptop and it worked a treat, with a menu to pick XP or Puppy at boot-up.

It didn't work on a newer laptop. It didn't do any harm, but always booted straight into XP.

I have to admit I am pretty ignorant on all of this.

Floppy:

I think that there are some possibilities for booting from a floppy disk, which may then enable you to boot from CD. I haven't tried them. Try searching for wake2pup or something like that.

Sorry if this isn't much help.

Lynswin

#3 Post by Lynswin »

Fantastic!!! :lol: The HDD install with the little program worked perfectly!
You have no idea how grateful I am for this - I now have a working Linux OS on my laptop. I have spent days looking for a way to get another OS on this machine, including several other 'fruitless' posts to other forums.

Thankyou soooooooo much!

All I have to do now is get Wifi working :?

Best wishes

Lynda

Rickrandom

#4 Post by Rickrandom »

No problem, but thanks should go to MU for this. He and several others are the real contributors to this forum.

If the wireless isn't easy, search the forum, then post in a new thread if necessary.

By the way, does XP still work OK?

Lynswin

#5 Post by Lynswin »

I haven't tried XP yet. I am almost too scared to shut down in case I cannot get puppy back!! :lol:

Thanks again

Lynda

Lynswin

#6 Post by Lynswin »

I have now tried XP and that all seems to be working fine. The only problem I had with the install of Puppy was that when I changed the version number in the installer to the 2.10 that I had downloaded, for some reason it would not accept this and kept saying 'couldn't download' or something. Left it at default and it worked fine. Only problem is I am now running an older version when I would have prefered the latest. But then, after the few days I have had I should be grateful I am running anything at all!

Lynda

MU

#7 Post by MU »

The first versions of Puppy 2 did not work on NTFS-drives, so I stopped development of the installer.
Also my development-computer with Windows XP died.

Puppy 2.10 works again with a manual modification, see:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11618

I could partially revive my broken notebook with Windows XP, so maybe I'll continue development of that tool again, but it currently has low priority.

But with the instruction in the other thread it should work.
Mark

Rickrandom

#8 Post by Rickrandom »

MU,

Sorry to be a nuisance, but the link you provided is to this same thread.

Could you update please?

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, my inability to read/click. Ignore this.
Last edited by Rickrandom on Fri 06 Oct 2006, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Lynswin

#9 Post by Lynswin »

Hi.

The link is to my other thread which is a similar sort of query but not quite the same!!

Hope this helps

Lynda