Slacko 5.6 - feedback, bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
watchdog

#101 Post by watchdog »

Copying a frugal install from an ext4 partition to a netbook's ntfs partition it keeps "Updating the layered filesystem... The next boot will be faster" at every reboot and at shutdown there are inode errors of my ext2 lightencrypted slackosave. Removing fsckme.flg does not solve the problem and it is recreated every time.

EDIT: copying the used SFS from root dir in the same dir of the frugal install on the netbook solves the strange behaviour of "Updating the layered filesystem..." at every reboot. But as I use the copied slackosave it gets inode errors at shutdown.

bigpup

#102 Post by bigpup »

watchdog

One thing that can cause problems with putting Puppy on an NTFS formatted partition.
Was the partition De-fraged before doing the install?
Also, a save file made on one computer, may have problems on another computer, because the save file contains settings specific to the computer it was made on.
copying the used SFS from root dir in the same dir of the frugal install on the netbook solves the strange behaviour of "Updating the layered filesystem..." at every reboot
All SFS files need to be placed in mnt/home to load properly. That should be directory of the frugal install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Billtoo

Slacko 5.6 - feedback, bug reports

#103 Post by Billtoo »

I copied my backup savefile to another Slacko non-pae install that's
on a 32GB SDHC card then plugged it into my hp desktop.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 1 Sep 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.6 Linux 3.4.52 i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller:
Intel Corporation Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller (rev 09)
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product:Intel(R)Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version0.0
X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3550 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 MHz

I'm also running Lighthouse 602b2 from another SDHC card on this pc
and I can use zarfy to setup to use 2 monitors, I think this comes
from the slackware 64bit repository but it's not available in ppm.
I'll have to see if I can track down the source code for zarfy and try
to compile it.
Anyway, Slacko is working fine otherwise on this pc, right now I have
the same screen on both monitors.

@01micko,are you able to find/compile zarfy for Slacko56-non-pae?

EDIT:I found the zarfy source code but failed miserably compiling it, could you compile it if you have time?

EDIT:I found the SlackBuild for zarfy and used that, I'll attach it to this message in case you want to use it and make a pet of zarfy.

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

EDIT: screenshot2 shows my desktop using zarfy, tas is broken now but pupsnap works fine.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(24.62 KiB) Downloaded 1196 times
screenshot.jpg
(23.22 KiB) Downloaded 1269 times
zarfy.tar.gz
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
zarfy-0.1.0.tar.bz2
(119.72 KiB) Downloaded 425 times
Slacko56screenX2.jpg
(41.17 KiB) Downloaded 1285 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 02 Sep 2013, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#104 Post by peebee »

Hi Billtoo

There is a pet from 2009 of zarfy-0.1.0 (same version?) from Jemimah here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47603

I am interested to know if it works as I was having problems connecting an external monitor to a laptop running Slacko5.6 at work yesterday.

The problem was that the external monitor showed the bootup sequence OK to the point where different drivers seem to switch in when the monitor goes black and then a "no signal" message appears.

The annoying part is that the laptop also has XP on its disk and this works fine with the external monitor.

I've tried grandr and lxrandr and neither kick the monitor into life.

The laptop has radeon graphics - I'm not at work today but will add further details tomorrow if needed.

I only want the monitor to mirror the laptop display (to display an "advertising slideshow" in LibreOffice Impress).

Any pointers as to what I might need to do to get the external monitor working with Slacko please?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

watchdog

#105 Post by watchdog »

watchdog wrote:Copying a frugal install from an ext4 partition to a netbook's ntfs partition it keeps "Updating the layered filesystem... The next boot will be faster" at every reboot and at shutdown there are inode errors of my ext2 lightencrypted slackosave. Removing fsckme.flg does not solve the problem and it is recreated every time.

EDIT: copying the used SFS from root dir in the same dir of the frugal install on the netbook solves the strange behaviour of "Updating the layered filesystem..." at every reboot. But as I use the copied slackosave it gets inode errors at shutdown.
Thanks bigpup. I have solved the problem of inode errors by copying the /lib/libntfs-3g.so.79.0.0 from wary and using it in slacko. Thanks to rcrsn51 who first wrote about this trick.

Billtoo

#106 Post by Billtoo »

peebee wrote:Hi Billtoo
Any pointers as to what I might need to do to get the external monitor working with Slacko please?
Thanks
peebee
Hi peebee,
On this pc without zarfy both monitors show the same screen.
When I bootup now I run zarfy and apply the settings, then I have the extended desktop.
I have Slacko 5.6 on a netbook and a laptop and both have an
external monitor connected to them.
I installed the proprietary ati driver on both and entered amdcccle in
the terminal, from there I was able to configure both screens, each
has the proper resolution for that screen.
The netbook has HD4200 and the laptop has HD5400 graphics so they are
both still supported by amd, if your laptop has XP on it then it'd be
in the legacy group I guess and the newer proprietary drivers don't
support legacy cards,maybe you could get the legacy driver to compile.
Attachments
netbook1.jpg
(58.97 KiB) Downloaded 2409 times
netbook2.jpg
(65.52 KiB) Downloaded 2229 times
zarfyscreen.jpg
(48.84 KiB) Downloaded 2514 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 03 Sep 2013, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

haitek

feedback

#107 Post by haitek »

Thanx heeps 01micko. I bought some new hardware and couldn't install an OS until I popped in a Slacko 5.6 CD, then it just happened. Must be destiny. I now have a screamingly fast puppy box which works a treat. The PAE recognises my 32Gb rAM, the nvidia driver recognises the nvidia GT630 with its 4Gb VRAM. Slacko installed on the SSD with no problems. Everything is good. Thanks again. SLACKO ROCKS! Very kewl.

bigpup

#108 Post by bigpup »

haitek,

Wondering how long it takes to boot Slacko with that computer setup?
Talk about overkill system for Puppy! :shock: :lol:
Puppy might use 1GB of memory if you had everything running at the same time.
Good to know it works on a computer with those specs.
Make sure to run the "Video Upgrade Wizard" and use the Nvidia drivers for that GT 630 card.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eldon

#109 Post by Eldon »

As always, this seems to be an improvement over the last version, however I'm experiencing a problem and I'm not entirely sure if it's my hardware or what. It's been happening since 5.4 or maybe before that (I think it wasn't a problem with 5.1), but there was quite a while that this was not occurring with pretty much the same apps and the exact same hardware.

It seems to be a random (and somewhat frequent) kernel panic. It doesn't always say that, but sometimes it does. Sometimes it goes to the "text console" and I can hit xwin to go back, and other times it's completely frozen with (error?) codes/events on a black screen.

And it seems to perhaps, not be unique to me, or Puppy/Slacko.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1157715

^ A few users of Arch posted this a year ago, implicating the 3.4 kernel itself or a problem with btusb:
"I got a kernel panic about two weeks ago, and then again about an hour ago...
I have no clue how to address the problem, it seems these errors are completely sporadic, and I can't think of anything in common between their circumstances.

Honestly, it's just encouraging to see that it's not just me. I hope this isn't a huge problem with the Linux Kernel... Torvalds would be pissed.

EDIT: IRQPoll was not a solution for me, and I'm on linux 3.5.3-1, so the 3.5 update doesn't appear to offer all the salvation after all."

And then another guy replied:

"I've had the same problem and blacklisting btusb solved it for me."

So this may be unique to btusb and the 3.4(+?) kernel. I've got the slackware packages etc. installed so that I can use my (usb) Bluetooth keyboard so I think that may in fact be the issue (especially considering that the post is a year old and they haven't come back with an update that says "Still crashes with btusb blacklisted"). Of course, it could be something completely different, like my USB flash drive it's booting from, going bad or something like that I guess.

I don't know if I should go back to a version of Slacko with a earlier kernel or what, but I hope that this can be (easily) resolved somehow. I guess I should try an earlier version and see if this happens. If it does, then I'll try another flash drive and hope that fixes it.

So if anybody has usb bluetooth set up with a recent version of Slacko and you get the "black screen of death" :shock: - it's not just you.

davids45

sporadic freezes to a b&w text screen (mostly)

#110 Post by davids45 »

G'day Eldon,

My 2-year old desktop has been suffering a similar infrequent and unpredictable freeze with more recent kernels (for about 6 months?). This has happened with Fulls and Frugals, with Slackos, Precises, Rarings.

I can't make it happen, but subjectively, it may occur more often when I'm running a large program (e.g. Libre Office, Seamonkey) and hardly ever when I'm doing nothing.

I have tried a different RAM stick but eventually I got a freeze, so I'm thinking its the motherboard/CPU.

I can't verify your btusb blacklisting immediately as a fix to a kernel bug but will see if it does seem to work if I can find it in various Pups - Upup Raring-3.9.9.2 (using this at the moment) doesn't list it under the Boot Manager Blacklist option.

Please post any other reports of this annoying behaviour you come across - I still fear it's a hardware problem.

David S.

Eldon

#111 Post by Eldon »

Well David, thanks for the report. Here's my update.

I switched to different usb drive, and plugged it into the port(I did have them on a cable because the ports are on the back) and used Slacko 5.4 which has an earlier 3.2 kernel as I had it on the drive already with save file. I installed a few of my apps that weren't on it (No Blank Screen, Savefileconfig) and just now it crashed to the console while I had firefox open (blank/home page I think) and was watching a shoutcastTV stream with VLC (which is very easy on system resources). The stream kept playing though and the system didn't freeze or crash entirely so I was able to hit ctrl+alt+del and type xwin to get x restarted. (Edit: It's been 12hrs or so, with Slacko 5.4 running and it did this again just now- but still no hard crash yet.)

So, I'm afraid it may be some sort of hardware issue/conflict. But I haven't yet experienced the full kernel panic crash that requires a hard reset so maybe this is a different problem (but the console output is similar in both cases).

I thought it might be faulty RAM (I have (2)x256MB of ram) but if you are experiencing a similar problem after you changed RAM then maybe it's not that either. Did you completely swap your RAM, or were you referring to your USB drive?

So, if it's not the RAM, not the kernel, (not related to my having bluetooth on it), and not the USB drive going bad, then... :?:
It's been happening for about 6mo. for me as well so that suggests it's puppy; but the fact that other puppies did that suggests otherwise. It's also possible that my problem is with newer Slacko versions, while yours is a different, hardware problem..

Maybe it was 5.1 that didn't do that. I know that for the longest time I didn't have this problem so maybe it's still Slacko. But maybe it is some motherboard issue- which would suck because that means it's possibly a prelude to a more permanent system failure. The sporadic nature tends to support that idea. But at least I only gave $50 for this PC and got a couple of years of use out of it :roll:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#112 Post by Lobster »

The base Slacko seems as good as always. :D

I am trying to install Openshot.
Which I had running on the previous Slacko.
Updated graphic - done.
Python via 'Devx SFS' loaded - done.
XFCE - not done? Not sure how best to get running. I found it, installed it and 'xwin startxfce4' does not seem to run it?

Other than that everything running good . . .
Last edited by Lobster on Sun 08 Sep 2013, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

topia

#113 Post by topia »

Hi Mick, excuse me the abuse, but could you include the module 8021q in next versions of Slacko please?
Thank you

bigpup

#114 Post by bigpup »

YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#115 Post by bigpup »

Tried Slacko 5.6 on this old P-4 Dell computer.
Works better, on first boot, than on my Bleeding edge Core i7 home built.

First boot on the Dell, everything auto setup and worked, including Wifi with the latest new Netgear N150 USB Wifi adapter. So the drivers are in Slacko for this Adapter.

On the Bleeding edge Core i7 home built,
I had to mess with Ndiswrapper to get Wifi working. It is probably an issue with the USB controller used on this computer, the adapter is not detected or turned on at boot. After loading driver with Ndiswrapper process, it is detected and active.

Only problem with the Dell was getting a better Nvidia driver installed.
Video Upgrade Wizard said there was nothing to upgrade too.
I knew The Nvidia 173 driver would work for this Nvidia card.
PPM download, install, and now using Nvidia 173 driver.
(thanks! 01micko for having driver in PPM)
That driver made a big difference on feel and snappiness of Slacko.
(seemed a little bogged down using the Nouveau driver)

Video setup now:

Code: Select all

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Tue 10 Sep 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.6.0  Linux 3.10.5 i686
  0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV37GL [Quadro PCI-E Series] (rev a2)  
  oem: NVIDIA
  product: NV34 Board - q231-0 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg   Driver: nvidia
  dimensions:    1280x800 pixels (412x231 millimeters)
  depth of root window:    24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: Quadro PCI-E Series/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.37

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
 Core 0: @2793  1: @2793  MHz
YaPI(any iso installer)

gcmartin

Multiple monitor support: Should it be in base PUPs

#116 Post by gcmartin »

As system advances continue, more and more PC users will have Motherboard and other peripherals on their systems allowing MULTIPLE VIDEO outputs.

@Billtoo has shown that a simple addition makes multiple monitors simple. What he shares does not seem to carry much ISO weight, yet offers benefit as more and more of us are finding.

Question
Are we at a point in Puppy's evolution where the subsystem he has tested should be added to "standard" PUPs without the need to PPM install? Would there be something harmful with this addition built-in?

Benefit or not ...

bigpup

#117 Post by bigpup »

Fresh boot of Slacko 5.6 with nothing new added. I tried this and got the same results.

Not sure if you would call this a bug or just no knowledge on how xwin command works.

Here is topic about trying to follow example of how to use xwin command.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88670

When you select menu->Shutdown->exit to prompt
An information screen pops up giving info on what to do to return to X server and the desktop window manager.
Explaining how to use xwin an example is given:

xwin [fvwm95:jwm]

Well, this guy followed example and used

xwin fvwm95
It works and boots back to the desktop. :?: :shock: :?
Everything seems to work except shutdown.
Nothing in the shutdown menu works.
Have fun getting back to a working shutdown menu.

Why would fvwm95 even do anything? :?: :?: :?: :?:

fvwm95 is a windows manager, but is it also installed in Slacko :?:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Billtoo

Re: Multiple monitor support: Should it be in base PUPs

#118 Post by Billtoo »

gcmartin wrote:As system advances continue, more and more PC users will have Motherboard and other peripherals on their systems allowing MULTIPLE VIDEO outputs.

@Billtoo has shown that a simple addition makes multiple monitors simple. What he shares does not seem to carry much ISO weight, yet offers benefit as more and more of us are finding.

Question
Are we at a point in Puppy's evolution where the subsystem he has tested should be added to "standard" PUPs without the need to PPM install? Would there be something harmful with this addition built-in?

Benefit or not ...
I installed slackware64 version 14.0,then upgraded to slackware64
current which is at rc1.
KDE supports two monitors in the kde settings, it's working great on
this Acer desktop which has an intel graphics chip.
I'd imagine xfce4 has support for two monitors as well but I haven't
checked that yet.

Kernel Linux 3.10.11 (x86_64)
Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation

EDIT:I needed to use zarfy in xfce4.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(39.08 KiB) Downloaded 1324 times
screenshot.jpg
(32.66 KiB) Downloaded 1340 times

bigpup

#119 Post by bigpup »

Firefox that comes installed in Slacko is FirefoxESR 17.0.8
The "check for updates" never shows a newer version.
On another Puppy Firefox is up to version 23 or 24..

I think the internal update is not identifying newer versions, because the Firefox in Slacko is a ESR version (Test release) and all it is looking for is an ESR version.
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#120 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:Firefox that comes installed in Slacko is FirefoxESR 17.0.8
The "check for updates" never shows a newer version.
On another Puppy Firefox is up to version 23 or 24..

I think the internal update is not identifying newer versions, because the Firefox in Slacko is a ESR version (Test release) and all it is looking for is an ESR version.
There is no internal update with Firefox verisons in Slacko, because it is not an "official" mozilla build but a Slackware build, hence the Updates Manager is the recommended way to keep FF up to date. I know it says it's checking for updates but it's not, it is really a lazy mozilla bug that they don't care about. Not enough for me to abandon it though!

If you check Updates Manager you will find the latest version is now 17.0.9 ESR, compiled 18th September, uploaded at 02:56 UTC, so should be through to mirrors by now.

# firefox -v
Mozilla Firefox 17.0.9
HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access