Modern PAE-Puppys and Centrino / Pentium M

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
antilet

Modern PAE-Puppys and Centrino / Pentium M

#1 Post by antilet »

Intel Centrinos / Pentium M CPUs don't show propper their capability for PAE. So for (*)ubuntu and debian there is a workaroundto install PAE kernels on those machines. The workaround is built in a .deb package, which can be installed.

But is it possible to patch Puppy-Isos or Live-Media for use with puppy?
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

I'm not sure about a work around for Puppy to use PAE on a non-pae machine. Which Puppy are you wanting to use? Most puppies that offer PAE also offer a non PAE variant. That seems like the better way to go.

antilet

#3 Post by antilet »

Is'nt it only a question of time? Am I wrong or is precise the last *buntu with pae-Support?
[color=blue][size=75]Toshiba Satallite M30X-124 | ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 | Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Most Linux need special boot options to boot on this laptop: i8042.nomux=1 highres=off nohz=off irqpoll[/size][/color]

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

http://ppa.launchpad.net/prof7bit/fake- ... /fake-pae/ tar.gz

Code: Select all

description	"patch /proc/cpuinfo to add missing pae flag"
author		"Bernd Kreuss"

start on runlevel [12345]
stop on runlevel [!12345]

pre-start script
	if grep -q " pae " /proc/cpuinfo ; then
		echo "This CPU already has the pae flag, doing nothing"
	else
		cat /proc/cpuinfo | sed 's/flags\t*:/& pae/' > /tmp/cpuinfo_pae
		mount -o bind /tmp/cpuinfo_pae /proc/cpuinfo
		mount -o remount,ro,bind /proc/cpuinfo
	fi
end script

post-stop script
	if grep -q "/tmp/cpuinfo_pae" /etc/mtab ; then
		umount /tmp/cpuinfo_pae
		rm /tmp/cpuinfo_pae
	fi
end script
Seems a bit of hokuspokus to me, needs to be inside /init , /sbin/init or /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit to mount the /proc/cpuinfo read-only into /tmp and then rc.shutdown might need the unmount part .

In full installs you can simply add older kernels in /lib/modules .

antilet

#5 Post by antilet »

Is this all what's in the dep-package?
AFAIK the CPUs have PAE but the flag ist not set.
So a little bit hokuspokus - jiggery-pokery will do the trick

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

As I understand it, Intel, in manufacture, did not expose this CPU feature by hiding the flag. Exposing the CPU flag allows the booting OSes to make use of the CPU feature.

Seen this done one other time by them, years ago. Forgot, though, which product they did similar. :idea:

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

I can only imagine that changes to the /proc/cpuinfo file might work if that file is polled regularly .
Why should something poll that file ?

It is possible to configure the kernel with all kinds of hotplug support .
Configured to support hotplug of cpus would make sense that the kernel itself polls and updates that file regularly .

# grep -i hotplug /etc/modules/DOTconfig-3.2.29
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
CONFIG_ARCH_ENABLE_MEMORY_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y