What Lucent modem driver should I use?

Booting, installing, newbie
bongski

What Lucent modem driver should I use?

#1 Post by bongski »

I am completely new to Puppy although not new to linux.I was pointed to puppy from knoppix because of the readily available lucent modem driver from your repository in ibiblio.org.
Now what I want to know is which ltmodem package belongs to what version of puppy?I tried one and it won't install (using insmod -f) because it was a different kernel from what I was using. this is aside from the several lines of error after that.
I have to insmod manually as it is obvious that I cannot connect to the net using puppy without the modem driver

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I presume that you used the PupGet package manager to install it -- if not, you did wrong.

Puppy 1.0.4 uses the 2.4.29 kernel (as announced in the News page), therefore use Pupget to uninstall the wrong one, then install the correct one, which is named "ltmodem-8.26a9-k2.4.29".
Then reboot Puppy.
Then run the Modem Wizard.

#3 Post by Guest »

Tried that and got into the point wherein there was ttyLT0 button but clicking this button to test resulted in "failed"message-something to do with noirq assigned and retry also failed-in other words no modem in the ports.

babbs

#4 Post by babbs »

I have been running Puppy 1.0.2 Mozilla because it works. I just now did a Type 2 hard drive install of Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 over top the 1.0.2 install (new, not upgrade).

I used the Pupget manager to install ltmodem-8.26a9-k2.4.29 (plus the rest of the OO packages and Perl) and rebooted. I now have the ttyLT0 button in the modem setup, but the test fails. (Same as the previous poster.)

It is an internal modem on a desktop...

The ltmodem driver worked in 1.0.2 and it works for FC3 so I know the modem is compatable, but...

What it the recommended next step?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I have a friend who has a Lucent modem, I'll have to go there and try it for myself.

bongski

#6 Post by bongski »

babbs wrote:I have been running Puppy 1.0.2 Mozilla because it works. I just now did a Type 2 hard drive install of Chubby Puppy 1.0.4 over top the 1.0.2 install (new, not upgrade).

I used the Pupget manager to install ltmodem-8.26a9-k2.4.29 (plus the rest of the OO packages and Perl) and rebooted. I now have the ttyLT0 button in the modem setup, but the test fails. (Same as the previous poster.)

It is an internal modem on a desktop...

The ltmodem driver worked in 1.0.2 and it works for FC3 so I know the modem is compatable, but...

What it the recommended next step?
Babbs,
Where can I get a copy of version1.0.2? I want to test my modem if it is really compatible.FC3 ius too much to download.
thanks

Allan

#7 Post by Allan »

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

I will probably see my friend (my dad actually) on Thursday, and see what is happening with the Lucent modem -- he has a ibm laptop with internal lucent modem, which i did test sometime ago, back at 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 and it worked then.

#9 Post by Guest »

Allan,
What about the lucent modem driver associated with the previous versions?

bongski

#10 Post by bongski »

double post
Last edited by bongski on Wed 03 Aug 2005, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

bongski

#11 Post by bongski »

BarryK wrote:I will probably see my friend (my dad actually) on Thursday, and see what is happening with the Lucent modem -- he has a ibm laptop with internal lucent modem, which i did test sometime ago, back at 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 and it worked then.
Yep forgot to mention,I use a Toshiba laptop.

babbs

#12 Post by babbs »

Barry,

Any word on checking this issue out? I just got back from a business trip and haven't had a chance to check out all the resources, so if the solution has been posted elsewhere, I'm sorry.

THANKS!
Babbs

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

babbs, bongski's last signed post to the forum is the one just above yours in this thread

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

I borrowed the ibm laptop from my dad, with the Lucent modem.

I booted Windows and downloaded the lucent pupget package from the Puppy pupget packages download site.

Booted Puppy live-CD.

Ran the PupGet package manager, installed the Lucent pupget package -- can't remember if i'm confusing with something else, but if for some strange reason it isn't listed, you can install it as an "alien" package.

Ran the Modem Wizard, and the "ttyLT0" button was there.
Clicked the button to test it -- and it failed.
Anyway, just ignored that and pressed the "SAVE" button.

Rebooted Puppy, ran GKdial, setup the account, and dialed out,
connected to my isp no problem.

If you get to that last step and it does seem to be detecting the modem
but not dialing out, edit /etc/ppp/chatscripts/dodo, and change the line with the modem initialisation string to this:

Code: Select all

"" "ATZ"
So, there's a problem with the Modem Wizard -- I haven't had time to fix
that yet.

Try those steps, let me know what happens.

babbs

#15 Post by babbs »

Barry,

I am confident that I can get to the ttyLT0 button so I will start there.

Success or not, I'll post the results here as soon as I can do it (probably Thrusday evening).

THANKS!
Babbs

InTheSand

#16 Post by InTheSand »

Hi,

To BarryK: I'd just like to say a big THANKS to you! Followed your instructions above and now have modem access on an elderly Compaq Armada E500 (with the world's slowest hard drive!). Puppy Linux is the first distro I've used where this computer's Winmodem is usable.

The laptop is incredibly slow booting up Windows 2000 once all its services, etc, have loaded. Puppy Linux massively reduces the boot time and is great for those times where I just want to check something quickly on the Internet without waiting an age!

I've now installed Puppy to the hard drive and went through the HD installation routine with ease (I like the humourous and informative messages!). It's now dual booting either Puppy or Win2K via Grub.

Cheers,

- Ali

BarryK
Puppy Master

#17 Post by BarryK »

I figured out what is wrong with the Modem Wizard, fix will be in Pup 1.0.5.
The problem with the Lucent installation was due to the change from 2.4 to 2.6 then back to 2.4 kernel.

gonzo90017

#18 Post by gonzo90017 »

Had the same problem which was fixed by following your instructions. You should make this post a sticky so beginners can find it easily. The search function doesn't work that well.