Xwin won't start

Booting, installing, newbie
krt723

Xwin won't start

#1 Post by krt723 »

I was investigating the remove installed program feature as part of remastering the CD and it's possible I "hid" a vital video file.

When I boot Puppy 5.7.1 everything proceeds normally until it tries to load the desktop and then it crashes to the prompt. I run the Xorgwizard but the auto probe fails. No matter what selection I chose manually it always crashes right back to the prompt.

I ran video-report and it shows no video at all. It says the Xwin wants to load file "dbe" (modules requested to be loaded) but also shows its not loaded (modules loaded is blank).

So I guess that maybe I removed ("hid") DBE by accident(?)

Any thoughts? Is there some way to "unhide" the files since they are not actually removed?

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

The files are hidden by .wh.blah files you will find in /initrd/pup_rw or if its on flash look in /initrd/pup_ro1

As far as I know dbe is not essential so Xorg may be blocked in other ways ( as stuck xauth for example)..so look at any other X like files that have appeared

/var/log/Xorg.log might give more clues

mike

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

How is Puppy installed?
Full
frugal
live CD
USB flash drive
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

krt723

#4 Post by krt723 »

I'm running puppy from a persistent VHD in VirtualBox, frugal install.

The only subdirectory that had anything in it was /initrd/pup_r02 but I could not find any files with the file extension you indicated either by using the ls -a command or by using the find command.

/var/log/Xorg.log

That file does not exist in that subdirectory.

the entire message I am getting is "Starting X, specs in (subdirectory), startup apps (subdirectory)"

It then runs for awhile and the next message is

"exited from X. To restart X type Xwin"
"If X filed to start run Xorgwizard."

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

ok if its a virtual box problem i would get searching on here for threads mentioning virtualbox problems...I have seen a few in passing

mike

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

I suspect you did a remaster on real hardware and are trying to boot the result on VBox.

2c
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

krt723

#7 Post by krt723 »

It is not a virtual box issue. I have several other copies of puppy running in virtual boxes on the same machine all without issue. Nor have I ever remastered the CD. Puppy was running in the VB without issue until I started playing with the remove programs tool.

edit: I just wanted to add that I appreciate people's help. I've actually moved on from the topic. I just deleted that VM and made a new one, no biggie. It why I use VMs.

In total, I am really impressed with Puppy. I wish it were a little more minimal but its works really well out of the box and other than this hiccup I have had no issues customizing it to my liking.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

The plot was lost and your idea to seek out and destroy whiteout files was probably the cure....

The best removal tool is you + experience. Trimming the puppy fat is a good move...they seem to be very fat now..I am used to ones under 100MB

mike