Installing drivers for a USB controller?

Booting, installing, newbie
Nowhere_Man

#1 Post by Nowhere_Man »

I am a complete linux noob and have installed lucid on an old computer I got for free because someone was going to throw it out. As what I assumed would be a simple task, I decided to get some fairly simple games running on it with a Logitech Gamepad F310 USB controller I already had. Soon after I got the games installed, I encountered a problem- there were no drivers and the disk that came with it doesn't work for linux. I looked around and found a few solutions, but I am a complete noob and can't figure out how to install anything. I understand that if I were using other versions of linux, I would be able to use terminal commands like apt-get to install things more easily, but this is not the case for puppy and I can't seem to find tutorials for complete noobs such as myself.

I think I have the devx file installed, but I'm not sure. I'm so confused, I feel like an elderly person who is just now trying to learn how to use computers.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

if I were using other versions of linux, I would be able to use terminal commands like apt-get to install things more easily
Go for it .

I need more beer ..

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

:lol: And >> :wink: Sleep!

ardvark

Re: Installing drivers for a USB controller?

#4 Post by ardvark »

Nowhere_Man wrote:I think I have the devx file installed, but I'm not sure. I'm so confused, I feel like an elderly person who is just now trying to learn how to use computers.
Hi...

I find that in the Linux community, being new to Linux is somehow bad and that we should have absorbed knowledge on how to use the OS through osmosis. In real life, it doesn't work that so please don't beat yourself up, we all start from somewhere. :)

To find out if you have devx installed, just go to the Puppy Package Manager (PPM) and go to the search bar and type in "devx." It should show you whether or not devx is installed or not. Of course, you can use PPM to install other software you would like to use, too and Lucid should offer a wide selection.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Monsie

#5 Post by Monsie »

Hi Nowhere_Man,

You should check that the Logitech Gamepad is recognized by the operating system. Run the following command:

Code: Select all

lsusb -v
at the terminal.

If the device is detected, then have a look at this thread here in Ubuntu as it should apply to Puppy as well. Although this device was designed to work with Windows, you should not need to install any drivers for it to work in a Linux based distro.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ok the driver for usb gamepads is joydev - standard issue in linuxland

In the console / terminal running lsmod will show loaded drivers.

If joydev is not there run modprobe joydev

That should be it. You may simply be using games that do not work with a gamepad.... there are handy little programs to convert gamepad signals to keyboard presses and even mouse movements but check the games config as you may simply have to set it up in there.

Perhaps give an example of a game you are having a problem with ...

mike

Monsie

#7 Post by Monsie »

Further to my last post, the Ubuntu thread that I referenced managed to resolve the problem of getting the Logitech Gamepad to work by changing a button setting on the bottom of the controller... So it appears that it may well be a hardware configuration issue rather than a software issue.

For the record, when I said:
you should not need to install any drivers for it to work in a Linux based distro
I meant that such driver(s) should already be included in the operating system, and hence, a search for a specific driver for this device on-line is unnecessary. That said, I will admit that I could have been much more explanatory on this matter... :roll:

Lastly, I will agree with Mike that it is a good idea to check that the built-in driver for the device is loaded in fact. If not, it is possible that there is no available driver.... however, I do not think this is the situation here with Lucid Puppy.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.