Bible Desktop

Programs intended to teach, or to help one learn or study a specific subject - this includes educational games.
robwoj44

Bible Desktop

#1 Post by robwoj44 »

http://www.crosswire.org/bibledesktop/
Bible Desktop is a free Bible Study tool that allows you to dig deeply into God's Word.
BibleDesktop will run on almost all computers. BibleDesktop is available for Windows (98SE to Vista), Apple Mac OSX, Linux, BSD, Unix, ....
Bible Desktop uses the JSword project to read modules in Sword format so there is a huge range of Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, Daily Devotionals and some General Books - one of the largest collections available.
http://dotpups.de/puppy5/racy/personal

The dependencies:
java from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Thank you for sharing this. :)

Regards...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Educational is it? Is there a version for the Koran? How about the Vedas (the Hindu bible)?

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Flash wrote:Educational is it? Is there a version for the Koran? How about the Vedas (the Hindu bible)?
Hi Flash...

The koran and the vedas don't guide people to Jesus, Who is the Truth. :wink:

Regards...

mikeslr

Koran for Linux & current e-sword under wine

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Flash wrote:Educational is it? Is there a version for the Koran? How about the Vedas (the Hindu bible)?

"Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for your Faith, nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them:for Allah loveth those who are just." Sura 60: Al-Mumtahana via Zekr: Multimedia Quran Study Software.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/zekr/?source=dlp

"My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?" John, !4:2.

"He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah, 6:8

If I have a religion, it is a mixture of Spinoza's heretical Judaism which, combined with quantum-uncertainty, negates his conclusion that the course of human events is so predetermined that nothing we can do can alter it.
Western Civilization --both that of Europe-The America and Islam-- is an unfolding of the conflicting World-Views of Judaism [with its insistence of the Primacy of God] and Greek Philosophy [with its insistence that everything is determinable through the application of reason to observation]. That within the last century we have discovered the quantum nature of matter-energy, and within the last couple of decades that Dark Matter and Dark Energy make up over 95% of the Universe --called Dark because we don't know anything about them other than that they somehow modify what we thought we understood to be one of the four fundamental forces of our Universe [Gravity*], should at least give us reason to question our hubris.
So I am particularly drawn to the Prophet from whom my name is derived.What constitutes justice and mercy are cultural attributes. We can learn and internalize them from those whose teachings have shaped our culture: The Hebrew Prophets, Jesus and Muhammad. Learning an internalizing humility is a more difficult task.
For those who seek to learn Justice and Mercy as taught within the room named Islam, please be advised that you can download a version of the Koran (with I believe commentaries by noted Islamic Scholars) from the above referenced website. It comes in tar.bz format. Simply unpack it and then click the file named zekr.sh. Unpacking to your SaveFile may not be required. My copy runs from my formated Ext4 /mnt/home partition where it resides along with my copy of e-sword.

If your interested e-Sword, this is how I set it up to run from /mnt/home. I downloaded the current latest version. Sorry I don't recall the link, but you'll find several if you plug "e-sword setup1021.exe" into a search box. It's not the portable version which I couldn't get to run under wine. My wine version is 1.4.1, the installed pet. Wine.org suggests that later versions actually provide greater functionality, but they also have made structural changes which I don't like. At any rate. I clicked the executable and allowed it to install to its default location: /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/ creating within that folder a folder called e-sword. Keep the setup file for use with other or later Puppies. As rox is my file-manager, I dragged the e-sword folder from its location under Program Files to /mnt/home and selected Move. I then dragged it back to the Progam Files folder and selected 'Link (absolute). It works fine from that location, --although it takes some time to open-- and has allowed me to install the Jewish Publication Society's “Old Testament

p310don

#6 Post by p310don »

Learning about religion is educational. Learning religion is often the opposite.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

p310don wrote:Learning about religion is educational. Learning religion is often the opposite.
Great way to state this... You must know about others religions to understand and work with others.

there is same type of software and possibly more like the multi year plan to read the whole Hebrew scriptures as websites. That plan is in all major and some minor languages..

Just because this software is based on the way Christians subdivided the Holy Bible I do not expect it would be as usable with others... So quit bashing :wink: save that for off topic area.. :evil:

mikeslr

Installation of e-Sword & BibleAnalyzer under Wine-portable

#8 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

If you're using shinobar's wine-portable, see here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 355#765355

mikesLr