Interesting FOSS spreadsheet(-like) applications

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
disciple

Interesting FOSS spreadsheet(-like) applications

#1 Post by disciple »

Check out these if you're that way inclined. Note that some aren't being developed currently:

moodss (Modular Object Oriented Dynamic SpreadSheet)
- written in tcl
- designed for viewing and processing dynamic (changing) data e.g. the same information `top` displays. Scroll down and look at the screenshots.

The Objectsheet
I guess this is really more of a database than a spreadsheet, which is good, because I like to say that most of the time when people use spreadsheets they should be using a database ;)
- prevents I think all of the major problems with traditional spreadsheets
- "Templates" within tables organize formulas and formats
- Data, formulas, formats, and code can all be viewed at once
- Automatically highlights manually entered cell values/formulas
- Formulas apply over an entire column or table without replication
- Self-contained tables can be moved around and formatted independent of each other; not bound by a single large grid
- web based (javascript).
- Check out the table at http://richk.net/os/doc/what1-table.html#summary summarising how it is designed to reduce errors and be easier to use.
- try the examples at the web site.

FlexiSheet
Cross-platform (GnuStep) port
FlexiSheet is a multi-dimensional spreadsheet.
Instead of the normal row/column layout (and different pages maybe) multi-dimensional tables have two, three, or even more dimensions that can be arranged and rearranged as you see fit, even on the fly. The view on the data changes, but the actual data stays the same.
Talking about views: FlexiSheet can have different views on the same table. Not only derived views like charts and reports, but also spreadsheet views on the same data, but with different layouts.
- I've read that it can open Lotus Improv and Quantrix files. It is modelled after those programs.
- Ported from Mac OSX Cocoa
Interestingly, it didn't work in my Arch Install, because all GnuStep things crash (I think its a bug in my gcc - better try updating :( ). But it is trivial to build and run in Windows!

SIAG: Scheme In A Grid
Can Your Spreadsheet Do This?
Old timers will be familiar with this one.
- Basically a spreadsheet gui for the Scheme programming language... it can also supports C, Python, Ruby an Tcl.
- Turn your spreadsheet into a file manager or a web server or even for managing user accounts... not that we do that last one on puppy. (I always wanted to do that. If I ever find the time it would be interesting to see if it could be used as an mp3 tag editor ;) )
- Be aware that ^ is a "bitwise xor" operator - use ** for exponentiation

mtcelledit - A lightweight spreadsheet program.
- From the author of mtPaint.
- C I guess
- Check out the screenshots links.
graphing is somewhat fiddly to master. Probably the best way to learn how to use graphs is to study the example graphs in the test suite...
The fiddly part of graphing in mtCellEdit is that you are effectively writing a computer program to do the graphing, whereas in other programs its more of a point and click affair which is easier. The reason I chose this more complex approach is to give myself more power and flexibility. Not only can mtCellEdit create traditional line and bar graphs, but its also possible to create graphs that other programs cannot create such as timelines and structure diagrams.
Matrex
Matrex is a vectorial spreadsheet. It gives you the same functionalities of a classic spreadsheet application in a new, different way.
Matrex is excellent when working with blocks of data coming from databases, feeds, files, external applications, simulations.
-Keeps different features separate from each other: input of data matrices, formula building, presentation of results in a table...
-Java.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Thanks.

Most timely, since my pango libs decided to go on strike against my gnumeric. (Or is it the reverse?)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Flexisheet's concept reminds me of QubeCalc for DOS published +/- 20 years ago.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Jasper

#4 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

You may find that an application such as "Homebank personal accounting" is already included (perhaps under "Menu" at the bottom left hand corner of your screen, then click "Business", then "Homebank").

If you want to make your own spreadsheet the picture below gives a few general hints. However, if the financial detail is very important - especially for a few months - make a pencil and paper copy.

My regards

Spreadsheets vary as to precise looks and formulas, but they are in fact similar in their basic methods.

Cosmetic adjustments e.g. right justifying the word "Balance" are easily done when you have got the figures computed accurately. Just check your spreadsheet calculations make sense.
Attachments
just an example.jpg
(78.1 KiB) Downloaded 1265 times

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

For anyone interested in the Improv/Quantrix/Flexisheet "multi dimensional spreadsheet" concept:
The old Flexisheet pages I linked to have an OK outline of what they’re all about, although I think one thing omitted is the aspect of showing the same data in more than one “spreadsheet
Last edited by disciple on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Wow.. MT's mtcelledit has come along, if it's still pretty light might be a great alternative to gnumeric in light distros for older/slower kit (raspberry pi springs to mind).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

http://strlen.com/treesheets/
The ultimate replacement for spreadsheets, mind mappers, outliners, PIMs, text editors and small databases.
The maths capability is pretty limited (they call it "experimental"), but this concept might even stack up against the Improv/Quantrix/Flexisheet one.
Last edited by disciple on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

http://manns.github.io/pyspread/
Pyspread is a non-traditional spreadsheet application that is based on and written in the programming language Python.

The goal of pyspread is to be the most pythonic spreadsheet.

Pyspread expects Python expressions in its grid cells, which makes a spreadsheet specific language obsolete. Each cell returns a Python object that can be accessed from other cells. These objects can represent anything including lists or matrices.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

plankenstein

#9 Post by plankenstein »

I'm going to have to check some of these out. Objectsheet sounds very interesting.
I carefully plan ALL my random acts! :lol:

disciple

#10 Post by disciple »

disciple wrote:http://strlen.com/treesheets/
The ultimate replacement for spreadsheets, mind mappers, outliners, PIMs, text editors and small databases.
The maths capability is pretty limited (they call it "experimental"), but this concept might even stack up against the Improv/Quantrix/Flexisheet one.
Apparently most people use spreadsheets to keep lists. For anything other than the most simple list they really should be using Treesheets. The only thing is they probably need a cribsheet saying how to do the most important things.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

Sorry anybody confused by that post - I said Flexisheet, but I meant Treesheets! Corrected.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

disciple

Lotus Improv in Wine

#12 Post by disciple »

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER