Upgrading from Slacko 5.3.3 to Slacko 5.6

Booting, installing, newbie
LeithR

Upgrading from Slacko 5.3.3 to Slacko 5.6

#1 Post by LeithR »

I would like to upgrade as per the subject line but cannot see how I can do that and keep all my bookmarks. Is there a simple way to do this? I'm running an old Compaq Presario 2100 with 512 RAM,

Any help appreciated.

KC1DI

#2 Post by KC1DI »

you should be able to do that just boot up the live 5.6 cd and go through the installer and when asked click on upgrade instead of wipe. that way you should keep all you bookmard etc. , but as always it's a good idea to back up any critical data just in case thing do go wrong.
good luck.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Not so fast on how to upgrade.
The type of install determines how to upgrade.
How is Slacko 5.3.3 installed?
http://slacko.01micko.com/notes.html
There is this warning in the release notes about upgrading.
There will be issues with upgrading from 5.3x (based on 13.37). Slackware, as have Debian, have moved to the module tool known as "kmod". This is because module-init-tools has not been developed in 2 years. This will cause probelems with upgrading full installs. I recommend (if you try it) removing all module init tools programs (/sbin/depmod, /sbin/modinfo, /sbin/modprobe, /sbin/lsmod there is a full list in ~/.packages/builtin-files/module-init-tools, 13.37 based only) and then try to update. With frugals it might work with no manual intervention. It is highly reccommended to start with a clean install
Upgrades from 5.4 and 5.5 should proceed normally. If you have firefox installed it is recommended to uninstall it from the PPM before upgrading but after you backup your files. Read that again, backup. Data loss does not occur when you regularly backup!
If you load an sfs file (Puppy's prefered method to load packages) you may experience the default icon layout returning after a reboot. To work around this you need to save your "Custom" layout profile in the program "DeskSetup" in the "Setup" menu. You can then restore your layout.
If all you are trying to keep is your bookmarks, what browser are you using?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

LeithR

#4 Post by LeithR »

Hi Bigpup,
I'm using Firefox but its an old version as I get a message stating that my version is out of date. How do I find out what version I'm using please?

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

Click
Help
in the uppermost Menu Bar
> About Mozarella Firefox

LeithR

#6 Post by LeithR »

Hi there,
I'm using Mozilla Nightly 12.0

Chili Dog

#7 Post by Chili Dog »

If your version of Firefox has the ability to upgrade itself (it should do it when you click About), you should upgrade to the latest version. Then steal the .mozilla folder out of /root and you can use it on 5.6 as long as you install the latest version of Firefox first.

Alternately, you can just click on "Bookmarks" -> Show all bookmarks, then click on the Import/Backup button.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

The firefox that comes installed in Slacko 5.6 is Firefox 17.0.8
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Chili Dog

#9 Post by Chili Dog »

LeithR, if all you care about is your Firefox bookmarks, I'd suggest following my instructions for exporting your bookmarks, then totally wiping your old installation. Then install the new Slacko and import your bookmarks the same way.

LeithR

#10 Post by LeithR »

Many thanks Chillidog, That sounds like a plan.