"pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro

Booting, installing, newbie
rcrsn51

#21 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is one more thing to try.

Go back to your original Bootflash install.

In the syslinux.cfg file, change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd".

Copy the two sfs files from the ISO to the root of your hard drive.

Reboot.

liro

#22 Post by liro »

rcrsn51 wrote:Here is one more thing to try.

Go back to your original Bootflash install.

In the syslinux.cfg file, change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd".

Copy the two sfs files from the ISO to the root of your hard drive.

Reboot.
After doing that I get: "Could not find the kernel file: linux"

watchdog

#23 Post by watchdog »

You can do a normal frugal install to a usb stick booting it with grub4dos. Mount the iso and copy all the content to the usb stick. Rename pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs on the usb stick. Install grub4dos to the usb stick and boot it choosing the standard menu entry for a frugal install. Menu entry for menu.lst on sdb1:

Code: Select all

title Cloudy Skies 1.01 (frugal on sdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash  pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz	

liro

#24 Post by liro »

watchdog wrote:You can do a normal frugal install to a usb stick booting it with grub4dos. Mount the iso and copy all the content to the usb stick. Rename pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs on the usb stick. Install grub4dos to the usb stick and boot it choosing the standard menu entry for a frugal install. Menu entry for menu.lst on sdb1:

title Cloudy Skies 1.01 (frugal on sdb1)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash  pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz	
Now I get: "Try (HD0,0): FAT32"

I then changed the "root" part in menu.lst to hd0,0 but it just says the same thing...

Perhaps I've wasted enough time on this already?! To be honest I only wanted to test out this puplet and thought it would be a simple case of (as with every other Puppy distro I've tried) creating a bootable USB drive from the ISO with BootFlash or Unetbootin, and hey presto.

Due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I don't really know why it is so complicated (on my setup at least) to get this version of Puppy going. Is it a problem with the ISO or because it is an old distro or...something else?

Anyway, cheers for your help guys.

watchdog

#25 Post by watchdog »

liro wrote: Due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I don't really know why it is so complicated (on my setup at least) to get this version of Puppy going. Is it a problem with the ISO or because it is an old distro or...something else?

If you want to boot this puppy in the usual way you must rebuild the iso renaming pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs. Someone must reupload the corrected iso but there is no general interest in this. I think you are only tired. Get some relax and reread the thread after some time. I'm sure you'll be able to boot this puppy.

Monsie

"pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro

#26 Post by Monsie »

liro wrote:
Perhaps I've wasted enough time on this already?! To be honest I only wanted to test out this puplet and thought it would be a simple case of (as with every other Puppy distro I've tried) creating a bootable USB drive from the ISO with BootFlash or Unetbootin, and hey presto.

You are receiving some great help and advice. That said, in the event that you cannot resolve this and boot up Cloudy Skies, consider some recent Astronomy programs for Puppy, if you have not already done so --since Cloudy Skies is getting old and out of date. If you are interested, you will find the most recent Skychart in this thread here. It seems to work in a number of Puppies, though more feedback on this would be useful.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

liro

#27 Post by liro »

watchdog wrote:
liro wrote: Due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I don't really know why it is so complicated (on my setup at least) to get this version of Puppy going. Is it a problem with the ISO or because it is an old distro or...something else?

If you want to boot this puppy in the usual way you must rebuild the iso renaming pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs. Someone must reupload the corrected iso but there is no general interest in this. I think you are only tired. Get some relax and reread the thread after some time. I'm sure you'll be able to boot this puppy.
Watchdog, I've rebuilt the ISO after renaming pup_301cls.sfs as pup_301.sfs, then even put a copy of pup_301.sfs on every partition on my hard drive, but I still get this :/
Attachments
2.JPG
(24.25 KiB) Downloaded 368 times

liro

Re: "pup_301.sfs not found" on booting Cloudy Skies Live distro

#28 Post by liro »

Monsie wrote:
You are receiving some great help and advice. That said, in the event that you cannot resolve this and boot up Cloudy Skies, consider some recent Astronomy programs for Puppy, if you have not already done so --since Cloudy Skies is getting old and out of date. If you are interested, you will find the most recent Skychart in this thread here. It seems to work in a number of Puppies, though more feedback on this would be useful.

Monsie
Hi Monsie, yeah I appreciate the help I'm receiving in the forum, this has to be one of the friendliest Linux forums going. Getting this Cloudy Skies working is driving me slightly crazy though :D.

I know it's quite an old puplet, but was interested in it just because it has so many different programs. I've already tried Skychart, Stellarium (which has a graphics problem on my laptop) and a couple of others. Think I might just give up on Cloudy Skies for the moment...

Monsie

#29 Post by Monsie »

liro wrote:
I've already tried Skychart, Stellarium (which has a graphics problem on my laptop)
Just for the record, which Puppy have you been using when you tried Skychart and Stellarium?

I have had some issues with some previous versions of Stellarium in various distros...

I take it that Skychart worked okay for you?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

liro

#30 Post by liro »

Monsie wrote:liro wrote:
I've already tried Skychart, Stellarium (which has a graphics problem on my laptop)
Just for the record, which Puppy have you been using when you tried Skychart and Stellarium?

I have had some issues with some previous versions of Stellarium in various distros...

I take it that Skychart worked okay for you?

Monsie
Yeah, Skychart worked okay.

Stellarium suffers from breaking-up/flashy graphics with Slacko 5.3.3 (the distro I use). I tried it on Slacko 5.4 and it worked okay. I'm pretty sure it is to do with the graphics drivers (my laptop is an IBM Thinkpad X31, btw).

Karl Godt

#31 Post by Karl Godt »

Hmmm .. I like the init ram disk shell .

pmedia=usbflash /init
- perhaps two times
and

exec switch
?

~
Privately am running xephem
XEphem 3.7.6 - Clear Sky Institute Inc. http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/

version 3.7.5rc11
that I compiled myself .. had it on Win Sky Drive .. not anymore .. they had reduced sizes ..
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

liro

#32 Post by liro »

Okay, I just give up on this... I've tried everything mentioned in this thread several times and none of it works, producing the same errors on both my laptop and the desktop computer. Maybe I'm just cursed? :/ I dunno, but it seems like I'm just not destined to use Cloudy Skies Live, for the time being at least.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Karl Godt

#33 Post by Karl Godt »

What I could think of is to use the initrd.gz from other later Puppies , just changing the DISTRO_SPECS file inside of these .

Have not dl Puppy Cloudy Skies for its huge size of 450MB .

liro

#34 Post by liro »

Karl Godt wrote:What I could think of is to use the initrd.gz from other later Puppies , just changing the DISTRO_SPECS file inside of these .

Have not dl Puppy Cloudy Skies for its huge size of 450MB .
Thanks Karl, I tried that but it didn't work. I think I'll just forget about it for the moment, wasted too much time on it already :P.

At least I've got Stellarium to work now on Slacko 5.6 (just upgraded today).

jaje

One More Suggestion

#35 Post by jaje »

I know this is kind of old, but I might have stumbled on another answer. I was trying to use ISOBooter to boot Slacko Puppy (among others) from a USB. It kept using my save file from the Puppy installed on my hard drive, and on a computer with no Puppy installed, it came up with the same red text pictured in a previous post in this thread (not able to find .sfs file).

After reading some of the other solutions, I tried altering the menu.lst file in the root of the USB before I messed with anything in the .iso. Under the entry for Slacko Puppy, I changed the "pmedia=cd" to "pmedia=usbflash/slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso". I rebooted and it worked.

If everyone is way ahead of me on this, please disregard. - I don't know what I am doing, so this was a major breakthrough for me!

John

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

Could you run a few more tests?

1. Set up ISObooter to boot off the splash screen. Does this help with finding the SFS file?

2. Set up ISObooter to NOT boot off the splash screen, but change the menu.lst entry to "pmedia=xxx". Does this work?

ISObooter uses "pmedia=cd" because it is Puppy's most aggressive mode for locating files, and usually works correctly. But it might also find a savefile on the hard drive, which you might not want.

jaje

#37 Post by jaje »

rcrsn51 wrote:Could you run a few more tests?
1. Set up ISObooter to boot off the splash screen. Does this help with finding the SFS file?
Booting it with the splash screen, it still found and used the savefile from the hard drive.
rcrsn51 wrote:2. Set up ISObooter to NOT boot off the splash screen, but change the menu.lst entry to "pmedia=xxx". Does this work?
Yes, that worked! It found and loaded the SFS file from the ISO.

Thanks!

8Geee

#38 Post by 8Geee »

I realize this is apparently solved, but one thing I noticed on the boot up

"pup_301.sfs"

An archaic thread about this problem revealed then that a line of coding
IN ERROR used an underscore to search the sfs file. It SHOULD be

"pup-301.sfs" with a dash

This goes back to 2008.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

jaje

#39 Post by jaje »

rcrsn51 wrote:1. Set up ISObooter to boot off the splash screen. Does this help with finding the SFS file?

2. Set up ISObooter to NOT boot off the splash screen, but change the menu.lst entry to "pmedia=xxx". Does this work?
Okay, I did a few more tests - I tried the above two methods on:
precise-5.7.1-retro.iso and
racy-5.5.iso

Neither worked either way (couldn't find SFS file), but the Slacko Puppy works fine with the pmedia=xxx method. Something's different about Precise and Racy...

jaje

#40 Post by jaje »

jaje wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:1. Set up ISObooter to boot off the splash screen. Does this help with finding the SFS file?

Okay, I did a few more tests - I tried the above two methods on:
precise-5.7.1-retro.iso and
racy-5.5.iso

Neither worked either way (couldn't find SFS file), but the Slacko Puppy works fine with the pmedia=xxx method. Something's different about Precise and Racy...
Nope, I am wrong - it is finding the SFS file from the hard drive with the Slacko. I installed Precise on the hard drive and now it too boots from the USB.

It is reading the SFS file from the HD because when it shuts down (after running from USB) it says something like "Unmounting sda5" where Slacko is installed.