YouTube fail

Using applications, configuring, problems
8-bit

YouTube fail

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I use Seamonkey as my browser and have cleared the cache.
But when viewing a Youtube video, the video stops after a short time.
This problem used to not happen.
But now, I am wondering if my ISP is stopping video transfers on their end.
When I use GTK Youtube Veiwer to download a video, a video of 30-45 minutes may take 2+ hours to download!
My DSL connection speed is supposed to be 1.5gb and it is more like 1.2gps according to DSL tests.
So is it just my connection speed is to slow to keep up and am getting kicked out?

As I stated before, I used to not have problems viewing Youtube videos.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: YouTube fail

#2 Post by Flash »

8-bit wrote:I use Seamonkey as my browser and have cleared the cache.
But when viewing a Youtube video, the video stops after a short time.
This problem used to not happen.
But now, I am wondering if my ISP is stopping video transfers on their end.
When I use GTK Youtube Veiwer to download a video, a video of 30-45 minutes may take 2+ hours to download!
My DSL connection speed is supposed to be 1.5gb and it is more like 1.2gps according to DSL tests.
So is it just my connection speed is to slow to keep up and am getting kicked out?

As I stated before, I used to not have problems viewing Youtube videos.
Surely you mean 1.5 MB/s and 1.2 MB/s. Even 1.2 MB/s should be fast enough for most YouTube videos unless you're viewing them at ultrahigh resolution or something. Even if it's not quite fast enough, shouldn't your computer just buffer the stream until there's enough to play? How much RAM have you, and is there any swap?

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

I think 8-Bit has had speed of around 1megabitpersecond = 1000kilobitpersecond = 125KiloByte per second .

That's not much, but I think should be good enough .

When I am throttled down to 7,6 KiloBytes per second , YouTube is unusable .

Since yesterday I am throttled down, had exceeded my 5GB BroadBand full speed limit of 7,2megabitpersecond = 900 KiloByte per second .

8-Bit : Change your provider !

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

The difference that may be affecting you is that newer flash player downloads into ram not the cache or /tmp.

You could compare with an older version of flashplayer..(10.0.15 works nicely for me)

I assume when you say stop it stops and is not just pausing to buffer more data.

When you use a downloader what format are you choosing...the HQ ones can be very large..I tend to use the mp4 as its reasonable in size but good quality.

mike

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

Karl is right about my DSL speed.
As to stopping, I can see the buffered data showing up as a gray bar below the viewing window.
When the video stops, the buffer indicator bar has also stopped advancing.
And as to memory, I have 3 gigs of physical memory and an AMD dual core processor.
I have not tried to use Vista to see if the problems persist with it.
I guess the main thing that bugs me is that I used to be able to view the videos without them stopping part way through.
But also, in Puppy, I have got popups of slow speed connections and possible ways to solve them and those have been from the Youtube site.
So either my connection is degrading, or my ISP is throttling my connection speed.
As far as I know, they, Century Link, do not impose a data limit on their hard wired connections.
But then again, I have fought with them over a period of years with a DSL connection that would randomly drop.
They kept saying the problem was at my end and not their lines.
But their latest fix was to change my connection to a different port at a junction box that is about a mile away from me.
Time will tell if that helped at all.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Hmm curious... you did mention that you can download a complete video albeit slowly.... so a rate cap/download cap/flash problem...hard to determine since your downloaded movie is effectively from the same source that flash uses.

What behaviour do you get from other video sites away from you tube... both flash and divx ones... might give some clues.

regardless you would be streaming on port 80 same as web pages so an ISP would not be able to descriminate in that way... one thought would be to go to a wifi hotspot with the same setup and see how it behaves then...

the plot thickens..

mike