Rearrange icons in tray

Booting, installing, newbie
Wognath

Rearrange icons in tray

#1 Post by Wognath »

Is there a way to control the order of icons in the tray? (Wheezy 3.5.2.7, jwm)

I have read here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79066 but in Wheezy, /usr/sbin/fbpanel doesn't exist and pfbpanel is a 0-byte file.
Attachments
tray.png
(23.8 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

fbpanel is an extra program , mainly used for taskbar-less windowmanagers like openbox .

You could try to rename the files in /root/Startup to for example

00_freememapplet_tray
01_x
02_y

retrovol audio icon gets launched by /usr/sbin/delayedrun before /root/Startup applications are getting executed .

Wognath

#3 Post by Wognath »

Hello Karl,
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it out with limited success. On startup, there is little control over icon placement--maybe the various processes take different times to complete. Restart X gives almost the order I wanted (second row of icons). The retrovol_tray entry in Startup is not needed--I have since removed it with no change.

Oh, well, there are big problems and small problems; this is a tiny one! Thanks again.
Attachments
tray.png
(60.56 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

Hi Wognath..

As Karl mentions, load order for some items in ~/Startup may be controlled by a rename mod.

jwm's tray may be customized by editing ~/.jwmrc-tray directly. Mainly for the swallows and dock (systray) order, pager, clock and so on.

Tray management is very versatile and efficient in jwm, you can separate functions and have various specialized trays if the main tray gets too crowded :)

Wognath

#5 Post by Wognath »

Hello 'f00,
Thanks for your reply. I will have fun playing around with jwmrc-tray. However, in Wheezy and Precise, everything in the swallow section is commented out except for xload, so there may be no easy answer to my question.

Wognath

duplicate icons in tray

#6 Post by Wognath »

Here's something I learned, in case it's useful to others.
You shouldn't use Swallow for programs that register themselves in the Dock. Instead, start the program with StartupCommand
https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/88
This causes duplicate icons when jwm is restarted.