'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sszindian

Lina Lite 005

#201 Post by sszindian »

Still testing on Lina Lite, adding lots of what I want a program to do... it continues to be an amazing puppy and may well be my 'main puppy' for everyday use If I get a few issues resolved!

Only main problem encountered so far is WiFi... wlano is recognized by frisbee but just won't connect! :: using Linksys usb module with Verizon modem/router combo. Had the same problem with Saluki and jemimah did something to get it working but I forget what it was... been a long time ago and many, many distro's back :( (It's NOT my hardware or config., I have several other distro's where WiFi works great... and a few where it doesn't)

Also...anyone have any luck getting the Weather Module working in conky 'ken' ?

If so, would appreciate a tip or two!

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

elroy

Re: Lina Lite 005

#202 Post by elroy »

sszindian wrote:Still testing on Lina Lite, adding lots of what I want a program to do... it continues to be an amazing puppy and may well be my 'main puppy' for everyday use If I get a few issues resolved!

Only main problem encountered so far is WiFi... wlano is recognized by frisbee but just won't connect! :: using Linksys usb module with Verizon modem/router combo. Had the same problem with Saluki and jemimah did something to get it working but I forget what it was... been a long time ago and many, many distro's back :( (It's NOT my hardware or config., I have several other distro's where WiFi works great... and a few where it doesn't)

Also...anyone have any luck getting the Weather Module working in conky 'ken' ?

If so, would appreciate a tip or two!

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Hi sszindian,
If you go to Control Panel-->Network and choose the Frisbee Network Manager Configuration you can choose to disable Frisbee and use a more traditional Puppy method of connecting to wifi. Without knowing what jemimah did to help you out, it would be really difficult to add whatever it was.

As far as conky goes, I've never used it, so I'd be no better than a noob at providing advice concerning conky. Hopefully someone will step up to the plate and help you on this issue.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying 'lina-lite.

sszindian

WiFi

#203 Post by sszindian »

Hi elroy, thanks for the reply...

Installed the- rt3070sta-2.5.0.3-3.2.13-ski.pet you posted over in Carolina thread... It creates a new usb0 module for frisbee (of which I'm not sure of the objective)... so now frisbee sees eth0, wlan0 and usb0 however, only eth0 will connect to the network with frisbee. Using the standard SNS I cannot connect to network at all with frisbee disabled. I tried all types of config's with the wlan0 and usb0 without success using both frisbee and SNS.

On all my other puppy versions where frisbee or regular SNS makes a wlan0 wireless connection... only wlano and eth0 are available for setup.

>>>---Indian------>

sheldonisaac

unwanted startup sound

#204 Post by sheldonisaac »

May I ask for help, please?

My friend uses a Dell laptop Latitude D610 essentially as an Internet device only: Yahoo mail via browser, search via Google, play online videos etc.

I am setting up 'lina-lite on my D610, before seeing how she likes it on hers.

An item I've not yet solved is the loud 'crackle'-like sound immediately after the screen shows
"Recognising media devices... optical input"
(around line 701 and subsequently in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit)

How can I prevent that sound?

Thanks a lot,

Sheldon

sszindian

Ram Hog

#205 Post by sszindian »

Anyone have any ideas why Lina-Lite is such a 'RAM HOG?'

Most of the newer puppy builds only use somewhere between 80MB and 120MB (average) of ram at any given time when checked with 'Hardinfo hardware information' but Lina runs 180MB upwards to 400+MB of ram when checked. I configd the browser to dump its cache when done but that only helps a wee-bit.

Is there a way to easily correct this with a .pet, Kernel upgrade, or something?

Even though Lina is using a somewhat old kernel, it's still a very snapy program for older hardware. I run it on a Dell P-4 with 750 + MB ram and it does a fine job.

>>>---Indian------>

Marv

Re: Ram Hog

#206 Post by Marv »

sszindian wrote:Anyone have any ideas why Lina-Lite is such a 'RAM HOG?'

Most of the newer puppy builds only use somewhere between 80MB and 120MB (average) of ram at any given time when checked with 'Hardinfo hardware information' but Lina runs 180MB upwards to 400+MB of ram when checked. I configd the browser to dump its cache when done but that only helps a wee-bit.

Is there a way to easily correct this with a .pet, Kernel upgrade, or something?

Even though Lina is using a somewhat old kernel, it's still a very snapy program for older hardware. I run it on a Dell P-4 with 750 + MB ram and it does a fine job.

>>>---Indian------>
I've run 005 for a long time now and never noticed this. Just booted into my remastered 005 with abiword, gnumeric etc on board (frugal install, pfix=copy so sfs is copied into memory (my main sfs is 67.9Mb and the zdrive is 23.8Mb)) and see the following:

In lxtask, 67 Mb of 1980Mb used, CPU % at idle 3.5%. Running opera, mem use up to 169 Mb (site dependent) of 1980Mb in Lxtask, returns to 67 or so on closing opera (12.16).

Edit 9/22/2013: more careful recheck of memory use on 005 using HWinfo: At idle, hwinfo reports 107Mb memory use. Rises to 193 Mb with opera running on this site, falls right back to 107Mb when opera closed. My first report of 193 at idle was actually running opera.

Could it be a firefox/browser thing not releasing memory? I don't have either ff or chrome installed on this OS to check.

I've never had problems with memory in Saluki 00x through 'lina-lite 005 so never really thought about it. Usually run them on Pentium Ms with 1Gb or on Athlon or P3 boxes with 512Mb. What do you see in Lxtask?

I'll bounce into x-precise 2.1.1 on this machine now and append what I see.

Edit: Indeed, now in xprecise 2.1.1 non-PAE installed identically on the same computer. I see 107Mb used out of 2027Mb in HWinfo, and Lxtask shows 1.5% CPU and 73Mb used at idle. ( I set lxtask for 5 sec update). What I'm currently using on the more humble boxes is alphaOS 11. It takes some tweaking but once set up the combo of a modern kernel, openbox with a tint2 panel and spacefm with no gvfs or pup_volume_manager is really squeaky efficient and it is non-PAE. My best guess on 005 is a browser not releasing memory but that is just that, a guess
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

sszindian

Ram Hog

#207 Post by sszindian »

Thanks for that info Marv!

You Wrote:
What do you see in Lxtask?

I'm never used that feature... fact, I have no idea where or what it is :?

I guess only elroy would know about the ram thingy... but since he's gone on to new pastures, no answer there I guess?

The high usage of ram by Lina doesn't affect the performance in any way that I was able to notice, but it just made me wonder after finding out about it. I believe the highest I've seen it was 440MB usage where as most other versions are running + - the 100MB mark.

I'm playing with the new X-Precise and X-Slacko at the moment, they seem to be doing rather well so far.

>>>---Indian------>

Marv

#208 Post by Marv »

Lxtask task manager should show up in the system menu. If not, it can be run from the terminal as lxtask. I use it to take a quick at cpu and mem use by app and to kill bad actors. Should be in 005.
It's certainly in the Carolina repo anyway. I'm in x-precise now and it's there. Pretty useful little critter actually.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

sheldonisaac

Re: Ram Hog

#209 Post by sheldonisaac »

Marv wrote: ... recheck of memory use on 005 using HWinfo: At idle, hwinfo reports 107Mb memory use. Rises to 193 Mb with opera running on this site, falls right back to 107Mb when opera closed.
175MB used of 2065 , with opera running on this site
Falls back to 119MB when opera closed.

'lina-lite 005, Dell Latitude D610 laptop. No swap.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

sszindian

Ram Hog

#210 Post by sszindian »

Well, a little more testing reviled, the problem is NOT with Lina Lite, at least I don't believe so.

After reading the posts I noticed that everything seemed to be running pretty normal with those using Opera Browser, when I found the excessive ram usage, I was running Seamonkey so I tried Firefox from the PPM. It did an auto-update and then I ventured to give it a good Internet workout... online Solitaire, a few Youtube vid's and some online Newspapers. It used around 170 some MB while working then dropped back to 117-120 at the desktop, this occurred with each session.

Retried Seamonkey... bingo right back up in the high MB figures again so, I would say the problem is 'Seamonkey' using all that excessive ram... for what? I have no idea.

I'm going to give Opera a try soon and see the results.

'Thanks for the look-in-to guys'

>>>---Indian------>

RAC0902

#211 Post by RAC0902 »

Hi

I have been trying to run Lina-lite on a HP Neoware CA21 (E90) thin client from a USB pendrive but the boot process hangs when it gets to: Recognising Media Device - Optical Input

I guess this a hardware issue as I can boot lina-lite on my laptop using the same pen-driv e with no problems, however I don't have problem booting both Saluki & full Carolina on the thin client though Caorlina does run very slow. The thin client has a VIA Eden 800mhz processor + 1GB RAM.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any clues? Have been using Saluki on a couple of devices for the last year but would consider myself as an inexperienced linux user.

Rich

Marv

#212 Post by Marv »

RAC0902 wrote:Hi

I have been trying to run Lina-lite on a HP Neoware CA21 (E90) thin client from a USB pendrive but the boot process hangs when it gets to: Recognising Media Device - Optical Input

I guess this a hardware issue as I can boot lina-lite on my laptop using the same pen-driv e with no problems, however I don't have problem booting both Saluki & full Carolina on the thin client though Caorlina does run very slow. The thin client has a VIA Eden 800mhz processor + 1GB RAM.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any clues? Have been using Saluki on a couple of devices for the last year but would consider myself as an inexperienced linux user.

Rich
Just an aside from a diehard lina-lite 005er. Don't have an answer on the optical hang, but have you run Carolina 1.1 with the adrive hidden (by renaming)? Basically on my Pentium M's, that or Carolite 1.1 are just about as fast as my well honed lite 005 and a bit more up to date wrt internal scripts, progs etc.

RAC0902

#213 Post by RAC0902 »

Marv thanks for the reply. I'm a bit of a noob to linux and so the command line is still something of a mystery, but I will do a search on hiding the adrive to see if I can find a walk through.

Cheers

sheldonisaac

re adrive, zdrive, etc

#214 Post by sheldonisaac »

(SOME SNIPPAGE)
Marv wrote:adrive hidden (by renaming)? Basically on my Pentium M's, that or Carolite 1.1 are just about as fast as my well honed lite 005 and a bit more up to date wrt internal scripts, progs etc.
Thanks, Marv.
I just renamed the adrive in Carolite 1.1; boots fine on this Pentium M, a Dell D610 laptop.

Please excuse; where can I (an old newby) find an explanation of why to use adrive, zdrive, etc?

I had replaced the 'lina-lite files in my lina folder with those of Carolite 1.1, but haven't done much with it.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rg66

#215 Post by rg66 »

RAC0902 wrote:Marv thanks for the reply. I'm a bit of a noob to linux and so the command line is still something of a mystery, but I will do a search on hiding the adrive to see if I can find a walk through.

Cheers
All you have to do is rename adrv_lina_xxx.sfs or remove it from your flash drive.
sheldonisaac wrote:Please excuse; where can I (an old newby) find an explanation of why to use adrive, zdrive, etc?

I had replaced the 'lina-lite files in my lina folder with those of Carolite 1.1, but haven't done much with it.
Basically adrive holds user apps and zdrive has the driver modules. Having them separate makes it a little easier to change apps and kernels. You can also boot without the adrive and have a functioning system minus the apps.

For Carolina-non-pae we basically swapped in the lina_lite zdrive along with vmlinuz and the initrd.gz and changed DISTRO_SPECS in /etc in the main sfs.

For Carolite it was the same we but also made a much smaller adrive and stripped a few things from the main sfs.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#216 Post by Marv »

@RAC0902,

Sorry I wasn't more explicit about renaming, there is a rightclick to do that in the file manager. Another approach I use for 'hiding', particularly if there are several items in a directory such as /root/Startup or /etc/init.d that I don't want run at the present time is to make a directory called unused in those directories (another rightclick), and move the items I want to 'hide' into it using the file manager. That makes it easy to retrieve them if I've goofed. I often start out with no adrive, add the applications I really want using pets, debs, or manually, then at some point just start the system with pfix=ram, mount the savefile, check for junk, and convert it to an adrive. All good rightclick learning fun and so long as you have backup copy (or copies) of the savefile a pretty harmless way to learn. Then, everything I've done up to that time is in an adrive and I can start with an empty savefile. Lots of ways to walk that dog, that's my lazy approach.

RAC0902

#217 Post by RAC0902 »

Marv & rg66 thank you for your patient replies. Now found the adrive file on the pendrive and so will rename it and see if lina-lite then loads.

Keep you posted

RAC0902

#218 Post by RAC0902 »

Tried again with lina-lite.005 last night but still couldn't get it to load as the boot always hangs at the same place.

Renamed the adrive on Carolina 1.1 and that loaded fine. Have only installed Firefox so far and it does seem a bit faster than before but I guess with only a VIA Eden 800mhz processor +1gb RAM it's never going to be quick.

inoxidabile

#219 Post by inoxidabile »

Hmm... it sounds like it happens to me some months ago.
It's nice... it was again a thin client (HP) that wasn't able to recognize only certain usb memory and not all external drive
I found an external "compatible" dvd drive it was ok but only with certain puppy versions.
The best was with 4.x and nothing to do with other (e.g. with 5).

I found some tricks but too difficult for me and I remember it was something about the "lack of wait for some peripherals" to be ready and/or to load some drivers.

To sum up: it's due to hw and there wasn't anything to do, in terms of sure+quick (+ simple...) solution, moreover iIt happened not only to me.

To the aim of have a frugal install I have had to boot with a certain version and to copy the needed files to internal HD from an other source.

rg66

#220 Post by rg66 »

RAC0902 wrote:Tried again with lina-lite.005 last night but still couldn't get it to load as the boot always hangs at the same place.

Renamed the adrive on Carolina 1.1 and that loaded fine. Have only installed Firefox so far and it does seem a bit faster than before but I guess with only a VIA Eden 800mhz processor +1gb RAM it's never going to be quick.
Renaming or removing the adrive wouldn't help anyway, there's nothing on it but user apps. The lina-lite adrive only has leafpad in it,

Carolite uses the same kernel as lina_lite so it will probably have the same problem.

If your going to run Carolina without the adrive, you should install Gconf and gnutls from the repo if you want to be able to browse network shares through thunar. This will be fixed in v1.2.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]