Touch - An Evolutionary Start by Ubuntu

News, happenings
jpeps

#61 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
On the Edge, if one takes a step back and look at Microsoft, you might be able to see an "Edge" to what they are doing.
In the sense of making some bad choices, true. If Barry can puppyfy a device, it will most likely appeal to small group of users already familiar with Puppy. Android software already interfaces nicely with any OS that can read the exported data. Typically, you export to the cloud. There's really no need to have a complete copy of a linux OS on the device itself, nor would many users want one.

There are also android file managers that backup selected apps to the cloud.

gcmartin

#62 Post by gcmartin »

Some items that have been posted, in this thread and others forum threads, is about keyboarding with respect to Touch.

Found this keyboarding article for TOUCH.

FYI

jpeps

#63 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:Some items that have been posted, in this thread and others forum threads, is about keyboarding with respect to Touch.

Found this keyboarding article for TOUCH.

FYI
Not being able to replace the default keyboard in Apple products is a major negative. Once you find a keyboard that does what you want, it should appear for ALL editing functions. You want a keyboard that compensates for not having a mouse. Having a select button in addition to arrows for moving by word, space, or line avoids having to use fat fingers. It needs start, end buttons as well.

jpeps

#65 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote: It offers a view of both sides of the Touch debate that has been getting more and more vendor attention since 2012.
"Microsoft VP Panos Panay thinks tablets are for typing up Excel spreadsheets."

It's interesting that innovation generally starts with play, so is more associated with youth and startups.

I just discovered the use of a phone scanner today, which brought up info about some organic wheat product from a box of spaghetti. For those who haven't used one yet, it works through the camera lens, which reads the bar code.

jamesbond

#66 Post by jamesbond »

Off-topic: This thread is full of links to other sites (e.g. the example above), some of the them are useful, some of them are worthless.

Next time anyone puts a link, please have the courtesy of at least putting a summary of what the article is about. Not your own opinion of what the article is about, but a summary of the article itself, perhaps the first paragraph or whatever quotes you find interesting in the article --- but please, not your own opinion of what the article is.

That's a good netiquette, as it will help the readers to decide whether it is worthwhile to read the full article.

Otherwise, a summary-less, link-full posts and threads should be qualified as spam and treated as such --- they are click baits, and they lower the signal-to-noise ratio of this forum significantly. Otherwise, do we really want our beloved forum to become a link farm?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jpeps

#67 Post by jpeps »

jamesbond, I think the link gcmartin was referencing related to the issue expressed above about touch devices being poor substitutes for PC's and Laptops (i.e, they are generally used in a different way).

"It’s possible, I suppose, that the Microsoft Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 will change how people use tablets from now on. More likely, they will change nothing, including Microsoft’s long, slow decline."
..ouch :)

jpeps

#68 Post by jpeps »

Here are 5 ways iOS 7 can help the enterprise

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/26/here-are-5 ... nterprise/

edit: meanwhile, back to reality:
I work in an 2k+ employee organization. Few of the really higher ups have work iPhones. For all of us, it’s a sea of new Dell boxes recently upgraded to Win 7 from Win Xp

gcmartin

The ChromeOS has Touch built-in (OOTB)

#69 Post by gcmartin »

I was surprised that the Google people made available a version of their ChromeOS that includes Touch. It is currently implemented similar to what TaZoC has done with his PUP distro (LightHouse64); that is it mouse button 1 operations for all screens by simply using your finger to touch.

If you remember, earlier this year, Google began selling ChromeOS Touch on an x86 Touch screen laptop. I have NOT seen that in operation, but, I was aware. This peaked my interest to see where there was a Open release available from Google for public consumption. I found it, tested it, and this is a preliminary of what I found.

Their implementation, too, is along the lines of traditional OS. But, an external look seems to show that its desktop structure is a precursor to an OS similar to Microsoft's surface. If you've seen or touched Microsoft's Surface/Win8, You don't have to stretch the imagination too far to see the ChromeOS possibility.

The distro is smooth and responsive.

jpeps

Re: The ChromeOS has Touch built-in (OOTB)

#70 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
Their implementation, too, is along the lines of traditional OS. But, an external look seems to show that its desktop structure is a precursor to an OS similar to Microsoft's surface. If you've seen or touched Microsoft's Surface/Win8, You don't have to stretch the imagination too far to see the ChromeOS possibility.

The distro is smooth and responsive.
I'm sure Google would like to be 100% in control, and focus on running apps through the browser connected with their web services. Contrast this with where Android is...allowing easy open source development that you can adapt to your tastes and run independently of the web.
For Google, Android was a detour from their focus on owning and dominating web services; it ensured that those services would be freely accessible in this new world of computing, including on the iPhones and iPads that were used liberally in nearly every keynote demo. And, now that Android is successful, Google is back to focusing on “the best of Google

jpeps

#71 Post by jpeps »

Firefox OS Smartphones Arrive in Mexico, Peru, Uruguay

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2013/10/31 ... guay-week/

jpeps

#72 Post by jpeps »

I'm increasingly avoiding FireFox and Chome, which often bog down loading a lot of scripts and connections to doubleclick. Android has a WebView class which nicely avoids all the commercial garbage. Instead of loading a browser, you create a checklist app with all your favorite links. Clean, fast..kind of like an advanced links browser that finally organizes the page correctly. There are lots of options, such as using touch zoom.

Subscribed periodicals like Wall Street Journal are using this approach. Their apps are ad free, correctly laid out on your device, and snappy. Far better than entering through a browser. No automatic garbage videos either (an increasingly obnoxious annoyance that is making me hate browsers.)

gcmartin

#73 Post by gcmartin »

Post moved to Android Development

jpeps

#74 Post by jpeps »

edit: Okay, response moved also

not sure "Android-x86 developments and issues" is correct either

Billtoo

#75 Post by Billtoo »

jpeps wrote:I'm increasingly avoiding FireFox and Chome, which often bog down loading a lot of scripts and connections to doubleclick. Android has a WebView class which nicely avoids all the commercial garbage. Instead of loading a browser, you create a checklist app with all your favorite links. Clean, fast..kind of like an advanced links browser that finally organizes the page correctly. There are lots of options, such as using touch zoom.

Subscribed periodicals like Wall Street Journal are using this approach. Their apps are ad free, correctly laid out on your device, and snappy. Far better than entering through a browser. No automatic garbage videos either (an increasingly obnoxious annoyance that is making me hate browsers.)
I added a free news app to my non-touch Acer Chromebook, had to find a screenshot app and install it, then save the screenshot to my-drive, etc.etc. but in the end I got a screenshot of it :)
Attachments
news.png
(180.24 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

gcmartin

#76 Post by gcmartin »

Examining the Touch experience in a desktop OS (Win7, Linux) is very different from the Touch experience in Android/Surface/iOS for iPhone-iPad.

On a high level, the desktop experience mimics mouse movement for desktop OSes. But in the other case, the touch is more like a signaling as these systems take on more responsibility in watching our movements for indications of what to do. (This is just the kind of thing that infants do as they observe and learn our ways as parents. In essence, we are increasingly going to be "teaching" our devices to serve us. This can further be seen by the tools that Microsoft/Apple/Google/Facebook/etc are providing in training programmers on application use of big data and information to assist users.)

Thus, today's kids will, in many future cases, never see a desktop experience as we have come to know. This is similar to the many people, today, who have NEVER driven a vehicle requiring to shift gears.

What is going to be of interest (at least to me) is the initial release of the Ubuntu Touch approach and how that compares to the suggested vision when they requested for Crowd-sourcing.

Technology, mankind....looking forward.

Off-topic momentarily. Anyone remember that I had a chance to see a voice development tool. If so, take a look at Android 4.4 inclusion of Google NOW! You may not see it the way I do, but, nonetheless, its potential is interesting at a mass populace level. One way to also look at this is "the vendors" started us off with Touch. Now we are moving to Touch and Talk. As we are now beginning to see how background services on the Android stack(s) can be beneficial.

jpeps

#77 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote:
On a high level, the desktop experience mimics mouse movement for desktop OSes. But in the other case, the touch is more like a signaling as these systems take on more responsibility in watching our movements for indications of what to do.
Interesting observation. Android uses an OnClickListener class that is attached to buttons, etc., that await (i.e, listen for) a user response. This is a big difference from a tool like gtkdialog.
gcmartin wrote: Thus, today's kids will, in many future cases, never see a desktop experience as we have come to know. This is similar to the many people, today, who have NEVER driven a vehicle requiring to shift gears.
Dangerous comment :) It's likely that the desktop will be around for years. For now, it's safe to say that mobile devices are finding their own niche. Many large enterprises are presently updating their Dells to Windows 7. Big screens, mouse, and keyboard are the superior way to go for almost every task where mobility isn't a distinct advantage.

gcmartin

#78 Post by gcmartin »

Agreed.

When I was growing up my Dad owned large trucks. No automatics. Learned to drive them as a kid. In urban areas, many large trucks (tractors and the like) have automatic transmissions. Some companies-drivers feel its a safer choice to run automatics. Just listen, when you're at a light as trucks today start off. If you've used a stick shift, you can tell the difference.

People can still buy the older, but, much has changed in preferences.

I am not trying to spell doom, rather, I am only showing industry movement which is bringing new applications into the hands of the public and its businesses.

I only wish that my eyes weren't so old. If so, I think I could see these views better. :lol:

gcmartin

#79 Post by gcmartin »

Touch. This means a lot of things to a lot of different people. It, as we have seen, also can emote a emotional outburst in some when the word is actually seen.

So, even though this technology has a patent application submitted by this group, did they actually originate cross network "touch".

OK, let me see a show of hands: Didn't a Japanese firm demo this in 2006? At that time, I remember them demo'ing 2 people in 2 different places having the ability thru a wearable garment to "touch" each other (finger touch, hug, hold hands, etc.) via an internet connection.

Should a patent be extended which would limit development or use of technology in this kind of touch?

Thoughts?

jpeps

#80 Post by jpeps »

gcmartin wrote: Should a patent be extended which would limit development or use of technology in this kind of touch?

Thoughts?
"Ten years ago, we had people at Media Lab working on gestural interactions, and now they're everywhere, from the Microsoft Kinect to the Nintendo Wiimote," says Follmer. "Whatever it ends up looking like, the UI of the future won't be made of just pixels, but time and form as well. And that future is only five or ten years away. It's time for designers to start thinking about what that means now."

http://m.fastcodesign.com/3021522/innov ... -and-touch