Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
peebee

#2361 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:What sort of problem did you have with lupu and touchpads?
Richard
Hi Richard

Have checked sfs-load-on-the-fly 1.9.9 and it seems to work fine....

The utility for the touchpad is FlSynclient I believe,,,

On bootup of 5.2.8.6 my Synaptics touchpad "scrollbar" is disabled - when FlSynclient is run it detects the touchpad but puts up a message to say that an X-restart is needed - after X-restart the touchpad cursor movement reacts very sluggishly until FlSynclient is run again and the parameters are tweaked.

All of this seems to fully automatic in all the current Pups - Precise, Slacko, Upup etc. with a fully working and properly configured touchpad on initial boot.

Whether just an updated FlSynclient is needed or something else as well I'm not sure - maybe 01Micko could remember what changed?

[later] On further investigation it looks like a later version of Xorg would be needed to fix the touchpad problem - Precise has 1.11.3 whereas Lucid has 1.7.6....would guess this is a change too far for this exercise.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Atle

#2362 Post by Atle »

After following the instructions on the touchpad issue, it came out really great at mine ASUS U36SD laptop.

This works and looks great.

rerwin

#2363 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:The utility for the touchpad is FlSynclient I believe,,,

On bootup of 5.2.8.6 my Synaptics touchpad "scrollbar" is disabled - when FlSynclient is run it detects the touchpad but puts up a message to say that an X-restart is needed - after X-restart the touchpad cursor movement reacts very sluggishly until FlSynclient is run again and the parameters are tweaked.

All of this seems to fully automatic in all the current Pups - Precise, Slacko, Upup etc. with a fully working and properly configured touchpad on initial boot.

Whether just an updated FlSynclient is needed or something else as well I'm not sure - maybe 01Micko could remember what changed?

[later] On further investigation it looks like a later version of Xorg would be needed to fix the touchpad problem - Precise has 1.11.3 whereas Lucid has 1.7.6....would guess this is a change too far for this exercise.
Those are good pointers as to where to look. Since both are executables, the next-best thing is to check the scripts that interface to them (synclient & xorgwizard/xwin). I can compare the precise and lucid versions to look for anything related to touchpads that has changed. We might try substituting the precise version of flsyclient, but Xorg seems too risky to upgrade.

BTW: While assembling the disk images I found that several scripts were missing, causing networking and frisbee to fail. I added those and some others as the package, lupu_5.2.8.6-delta-20130916, and included it. I also attached that package to the original posting of the upgrade packages. So, anyone encountering problems following installation of those packages should now install the delta package, as well. The posting is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 562#714562

One more thing: Is anyone interested in adding internationalization to support any of the new packages. If so, please instruct me as to which further (NLS?) packages to include. I am not at all sure internationalization even works in lupu, so this may be infeasible. But I would like to know, one way or the other.
Richard

sheldonisaac

#2364 Post by sheldonisaac »

Please excuse; I downloaded the file this morning, Sept 18.

Does it include all the updates you mentioned in your message, above?

Thanks a lot,

Sheldon
# ls -l /mnt/sda5/sources/lupu-5.2.8.6-20130917.iso
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 144883712 2013-09-18 09:25 /mnt/sda5/sources/lupu-5.2.8.6-20130917.iso
#
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#2365 Post by rerwin »

Does it include all the updates you mentioned in your message, above?
I intend to maintain the list at the top pf this page to describe the latest version (by date) of the set of image files. All variants of lupu will have the same set of updates. The "plus" versions contain additional wifi and analog modem drivers but are otherwise identical to the "lupu" version in content.

After the "dust settles" on what gets included, my plan is to start a new thread for "5.2.8.6" to support further contributions to it. So, let's bring this as up-to-date as we know how, to minimize the need for further additions.

peebee,
Flsynclient is the same in both precise and lupu. One package that precise has that is absent from lupu is this:
ftp://ftp.linux.hr/puppylinux/pet_packa ... 0.14.6.pet
which puts a "synclient" file in /usr/X11/bin, in addition to the one of the same name in /usr/bin. Could you install that to see if it makes a difference? I doubt that it will, but let's rule that out, anyway.

The remaining thing to try is to copy the precise version of /usr/bin/synclient into lupu, replacing the link to the synclient .sh and .bin files.
Richard

rerwin

lupu 5.2.8.6 new version 20130921 uploaded

#2366 Post by rerwin »

The new upload contains some minor additions, one marginally nice and the other probably very useful.

- For USB dialup wireline modems, the dgcmodem driver provides the modem sounds for those that support it. I added it because they are already supported by the cdc-acm driver but are silent in the non-plus versions of lupu.

- For LibreOffice, I built the latest (4.1.1) using 01micko's latest get_libreoffice utility (in the Document submenu). (Note that a full gigabyte of free space is required in the home partition for the process to complete; so not everybody can upgrade their own libreoffice SFS file.) Using the libreoffice file, you can add it to either of the Iupu installations with the BootManager or the Load-SFS-on-the-Fly. Whenever libreoffice is present, it will be the default "draw", "calc" and "write" application. I plan to also create a full lupupluslibre ISO and a new "low-RAM" version of it containing the SFS file and a "Z-drive" SFS file for the drivers, so that puppy can load into 256MB RAM. The latter may require extra installation steps that we can work out.

- I also added the latest versions of the rest of zigbert's "P" tools.

For now, I have added all upgrades I am aware of, so please tell me of any further programs I should add to 5.2.8.6.
Richard

bigpup

#2367 Post by bigpup »

Gparted could really use an update. It is up to version 0.16.2
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Smithy

#2368 Post by Smithy »

Just to add to this.
Luci 529,THD is the only distro that enabled the tap pad on my netbook from boot.
All the recent ones slackos, precises do not have the tap pad working.
I have had to fix it each time by editing the flsynclient script and throwing into root.
Forgotten which it is but one of these is the culprit. Easy fix though, but a pain when you first struggle with Puppy Linux.

Code: Select all

TouchpadOff                      = 0

TapButton1                          = 1
    TapButton2                          = 3
    TapButton3                          = 2

ClickPad                = 0

peebee

#2369 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:One package that precise has that is absent from lupu is this:
ftp://ftp.linux.hr/puppylinux/pet_packa ... 0.14.6.pet
which puts a "synclient" file in /usr/X11/bin, in addition to the one of the same name in /usr/bin. Could you install that to see if it makes a difference? I doubt that it will, but let's rule that out, anyway.
Hi Richard

I noticed that Precise had 2 copies of synclient in 2 locations.

Tried the above pet installed onto the 20130921 iso - reran Basic Setup afterwards and also restarted the X-server.

Regret to say, as you predicted, no difference in my touchpad behaviour was observed....

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jeff757

flsynclient not persistent on startup after save file made

#2370 Post by jeff757 »

Richard,

I,m pretty sure the culprit for flsynclient settings not working after save file is first used is due to ~/Startup/load-tochpad-settings script.

I tested 5.2.8.6 yesterday and found flsynclient not persistent. I used the live USB I set up for Mom's web surfing ( I hate doing all the security sweeps for XP and Puppy turned on wireless that XP couldn't.) I used to manually edit xorg.conf to enable tapping and left-right scrolling,not fun.

I commented out lines 2&3 in load-touchpad-settings in the savefile. Shutdown the laptop, then restarted and everything from ~/.flsynclient appeared in the gui when I started Flsynclient from the menu.

I did unsquashfs/mksquashfs on lupu-5.2.8.sfs. I will test tonight when I get home from work.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

peebee

Re: flsynclient not persistent on startup after save file made

#2371 Post by peebee »

jeff757 wrote:I commented out lines 2&3 in load-touchpad-settings in the savefile. Shutdown the laptop, then restarted and everything from ~/.flsynclient appeared in the gui when I started Flsynclient from the menu.
Jeff
I did the change suggested by Jeff, then did a RestartX followed by a rerun of Initial Settings - sadly did not make any difference on my laptop.

I then substituted the /usr/bin/flsynclient from Precise and found that the same message was produced as seen on lupu - I do not see this message on Precise or any other more recent Pups - I therefore think that it is the more recent xorg that fixes my problem, not flsynclient itself.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
image-1.png
(8.66 KiB) Downloaded 2218 times

jeff757

flsynclient not persistent on startup after save file made

#2372 Post by jeff757 »

Drive-by coffee break on the way to my next customer.

My apologies for not thanking peebee for the clue about modern pups, I looked at ~/Startup/load-touchpad-settings from my desktop live USB of Slacko 5.5.

Flsynclient in both 5.2.8.6 and Slacko 5.5 is 0.6.

Not so quick test of my resquashed lupu-528.sfs led to a sfs not found on startup message,DUH. I realized I had named it wrong, renamed to lupu_528.sfs it worked.

On restart I only changed global font size, and a few settings in Menu -> Desktop -> Flsynclient, then shutdown and create new save file.

Restart of computer showed settings were retained.
The touchpad I am using shows up in HardInfo and Xorg as Alps,I will see if my Toshiba is different later.

Jeff

rerwin

#2373 Post by rerwin »

jeff757 wrote:I commented out lines 2&3 in load-touchpad-settings in the savefile. Shutdown the laptop, then restarted and everything from ~/.flsynclient appeared in the gui when I started Flsynclient from the menu.
The load-touchpad-settings script:
  • #!/bin/bash
    [ -s "$HOME/.flSynclient" ] || exit
    grep -Ewq '(Elantech|Alps|Synaptics)' /proc/bus/input/devices || exit
    flsynclient -s
Your change makes flsynclient always run, which is not desired for systems without a touchpad. Your workaround tells me that one of those tests is failing. Assuming the first test is valid, the second must not be finding an indication of the touchpad in the /proc/bus/input/devices file. My eeePC netbook's file has these first 2 entries:

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=ab41
N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio0/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event0 
B: PROP=0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=4 2000000 3803078 f800d001 feffffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1
H: Handlers=mouse0 event1 
B: PROP=9
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 0 30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=2608000 11000003
What does yours show for the touchpad/mouse?

Although this does not help peebee, thank you for posting your information that should lead to a good fix for your issue, anyway.

Peebee,
Thanks for trying the experiment. BTW, what does your "devices" file say about the touchpad?
Richard

EDIT: I just now checked the precise pup version of load-touchpad-settings and see that it does not contain the 2 lines in question. I will take them out of lupu. as well. R

Smithy wrote:All the recent ones slackos, precises do not have the tap pad working.
You should be able to correct that by going to Menu > Setup > Mouse/keyboard Wizard > "Configure your touchpad" and change "Touchpad Mode" to "ON" the first time you boot to a new environment. That should persist from there on. R
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 23 Sep 2013, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#2374 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:Peebee,
Thanks for trying the experiment. BTW, what does your "devices" file say about the touchpad?
Richard
Lupu on initial boot with no savefile or configuration says:

P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input1
B: KEY=420 0 30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=11000003
Slacko for comparison after savefile creation says:

P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input1
B: PROP=1
B: KEY=420 0 30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=11000003
i.e. same apart from extra line B: PROP=1 - whereas yours has the PROP lines....intriguing. Maybe it gets added during configuration??

jeff757

Touchpad

#2375 Post by jeff757 »

Progress. This will be shorter than my first try which was typed on the Toshiba with my fix. but I tried posting with Dillo and lost it all.

Even though flsynclient is the same in both 5.2.8.6 and Slacko 5.5,synclient is 1.2.2 vs. 1.6.2.

Long story short, put 1.6.2 into 5.2.8.6 and all settings retained in Flsynclient GUI except touch sensitivity in General tab,36 dropped to 27.

On another note I didn't realize my wifi driver wasn't in 5.2.8.6 , found out on trying SNS. I downloaded r8192ce_pci-k2.6.33.2.pet, install, reboot, setup Frisbee and had frequent xdialog messages of wlan0 down/reconnect even after using stay connected. I switched to SNS after using Disconnect from network in Frisbee. I don't know if trying Frisbee again with pfix=ram will work or not. That will be tomorrows test, time for bed.

Volhout

upgrades

#2376 Post by Volhout »

Now that I have gotten this far, I am open to recommendations on the most important components to upgrade or add, to make Lucid Pup continue to be desirable. Keep in mind, though, that I do not have playdayz' skills at resolving issues with new items. So, we need to focus on components that are safe to add, or can easily be made so, and can be tested/verified by someone besides me. I plan to start with recent woof fixes to add to the ones I have already included.
Dear Rerwin: as a daily user of 528-4, my suggestions for a 528 upgrade would be:

- upgrade Python to the last 2 series (2.73 ?) and add Tkinter (tk-python).
Python is part of the devx, and that is where Tkinter would reside. Tkinter is a simple GUI builder. Alternate, have Tkinter in the PPM.

- 528 runs openbox. Contact one of the guys in "my puppy is more gorgeous" or "eye candy" thread to make a nice selection of wallpaper, icon set, and openbox theme, to have a professional appearance out of the box. Maybe add VICZM's Openbox Plus. It is not my intention to add CPU intense graphics packages, but just to have somebody with good feeling for eye candy look at the appearance. i.e. I personally like the iPAD2 icon theme, and use it on almost all my puppies. And that is a small change to make. And a new wallpaper .... also a small change.

This is openbox: http://postimg.org/image/d93rou1l3/

Also look at the menu structure in that picture. More levels, and less entries. Better for people that are new to puppy. The terminal could be a little less transparent though.

And this: http://postimg.org/image/yvono8dhr/
And this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=55907
And this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=50847
And this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=49721
And this: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=43438

And this:Image
(Tinted Slacko)

- Add 01micko's (Sorry...Slacko's) desktop icon templates tool. I useually select to have only 5 icons, and the drive icons. But also the 0 icon selection is good since 528 have a full right-click menu.

- Cups can use an update. Since 528-5 so many new printers have been released.

- Unmounting by clicking on the disc icon on the desktop. Slacko and Precise have this, when you click on the top right corner of the drive icon, it unmounts. In 528 I have to right-click an select "unmount" in the list.

- a terminal program where I can "cut and paste" with the same shortcuts as I can in other programs (either ctrl-C, ctrl-X and ctrl-V, or rightclick copy and rightclick paste).
Last edited by Volhout on Tue 24 Sep 2013, 15:32, edited 3 times in total.

recobayu

#2377 Post by recobayu »

hi rerwin, maybe something like this:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 922#724922
That is my openbox theme, gtktheme, and jwmtheme. you can modify that.

rerwin

#2378 Post by rerwin »

jeff757, Volhout, recobayu,
Thank you for all of your recommendations. When it comes to implementing items I consider to be matters of personal taste, I have to stand back because the theme/wallpaper business is beyond what I can handle. My goal is to bring lupu's components up to date where I can, but leave embellishments to others, probably to be made to later-model puppies.

I hope to "pick away" at some of the version upgrades for some components that do not get complicated. Putting synclient 1.6.2 into 5.2.8.6 seems like that sort of thing. (BTW, jeff757, the driver you downloaded is already part the "plus" version of 5.2.8.6, along with many others.) Another might be "Unmounting by clicking on the disc icon on the desktop.", which I would like to see, myself, so will look into it.

Although I need to avoid getting into compiling applications, I am open to copying upgrades from other puppies as long as we can verify that no harm is done. I made an attempt to upgrade gparted but found it is too complex for my skills at this point. I tried 2 versions from precise pup, but they require several new dependencies that add to the risk of incompatibilities that I cannot address. And compiling it requires a special configuration definition and some tricks I do not know. So, I gave up on that.

If we are to upgrade some applications, I need someone with those skills to create current pet packages for them, as many have done in the past. Think of me as an integrator more than a developer (although I do a limited amount of that, too). The python and cups suggestions would be such candidates.

As for the "look-and-feel" suggestions, I would like to see an add-on package(s) to provide those components to those who need them. My plan is to start a new thread for 5.2.8.6 when it is "done" that would include contributions of embellishment packages (or links to them), so users can customize lupu as much as they care to. I just have to stay out of it, other than to provide the thread.
Richard

rcrsn51

#2379 Post by rcrsn51 »

Upgrading CUPS does not get you support for new printers. That comes from separate driver packages. The version of CUPS in Lupu is good enough.

Volhout

eye candy

#2380 Post by Volhout »

Dear Rerwin,

I understand the graphics stuff is the "topping" and definitely not your target. That is exactly why I suggested to contact someone else to take this burden off you.

They can start from 528-005, and simply hand you the delta's when done.
My estimate is that the name 528 (it is a legend !) is sufficient for graphics developers to get their attention.

It is a different matter if you "object against" the idea of making these changes. Let me (us) know.

Regards,

Volhout

P.S. rcrsn51: I didn't know that, good you corrected me and saved rerwin the hassle....