Barry is calling it quits

News, happenings
john biles

#21 Post by john biles »

Hello Barry,
Speed, full control, no passwords, freedom sums up Puppy Linux. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint and others while nice to visit miss that something only Puppy has. Thank you for providing the soul of TEENpup and now Legacy OS.
The basic fact is what Barry has left behind can be built on for years to come. Legacy OS proves that while the base system can remain the same there's nothing to stop anyone replacing apps with newer versions making the OS usable for a long time in the future. Sometimes building on top of a well proven base has its advantages. Being away from a project frees the mind. Barry you'll be back as you won't be able to help yourself. While it might not be puppy related your ideas and experiments need an outlet. Look forward to seeing what fun you surprise us with in the future.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

darry1966

#22 Post by darry1966 »

john biles wrote:Hello Barry,
Speed, full control, no passwords, freedom sums up Puppy Linux. Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint and others while nice to visit miss that something only Puppy has. Thank you for providing the soul of TEENpup and now Legacy OS.
The basic fact is what Barry has left behind can be built on for years to come. Legacy OS proves that while the base system can remain the same there's nothing to stop anyone replacing apps with newer versions making the OS usable for a long time in the future. Sometimes building on top of a well proven base has its advantages. Being away from a project frees the mind. Barry you'll be back as you won't be able to help yourself. While it might not be puppy related your ideas and experiments need an outlet. Look forward to seeing what fun you surprise us with in the future.
Yep very true it is amazing how even an old Puppy can still be a very good base for something new you create.

nilsonmorales

#23 Post by nilsonmorales »

Sad very sad.
Puppy's father leaves the kennel, but his legacy remains with us.
On behalf of the Hispanic community wishes you the best for you and your family.
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

jpeps

#24 Post by jpeps »

Time for a new model. If everyone paid Barry $10 for the premium version (the one without a banner ad), at worst there would be a changing of the guard. It's interesting that nobody complains about paying $4.99 for a great app.

Karl Godt

#25 Post by Karl Godt »

jpeps wrote:Time for a new model. If everyone paid Barry $10 for the premium version (the one without a banner ad), at worst there would be a changing of the guard. It's interesting that nobody complains about paying $4.99 for a great app.
He already ordered a mobile phone for around 300 AUS$
I bought one of these! Great specs, and it only cost AU$297, from Harvey Norman. Manufacturer's pages:
http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/pro ... xperia-sp/
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00362

I don't understand what that's crying all about .

Btw : Me doesn't own a Smartphone nor paid for an app in my short live .
Putting up a n environment like redhat or suse needs someone with good connections to a bank !

jpeps

#26 Post by jpeps »

Karl Godt wrote:.
Putting up a n environment like redhat or suse needs someone with good connections to a bank !
Most of that is corporate support plans. A link on a download page or help menu would do it. People are generally happy to support something they like, because they want the developer to keep working for them. Getting rid of a banner ad or getting some added feature is a sufficient motivator.

Considering the user base, Barry should be living on a yacht at this point. Instead, he was worried about getting enough into his checking account to bid on an Edge (Mark Shuttleworth is worth over $500 Million...he gets Barry's contribution).

darkcity

#27 Post by darkcity »

The problem with the current economic model is it makes it hard to live off software development and keep that software open and free for the community. Some companies will use revenue gained elsewhere to pay for development, for example Redhat (support) and Google (advertising and profiling). But in neither case the monies come from open source development.

There are certain ways it can be done, asking for donations, crowdfunding a certain project idea or creating bounties for completion of certain features.

These however require administration, and other support and it then becomes more of a project. Barry always made it clear he did it for fun and steered clear of making it a a "proper" project.

Burn_IT

#28 Post by Burn_IT »

Why have a dog and bark yourself??

Thanks for all your hard work!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Colonel Panic

#29 Post by Colonel Panic »

Ten years is a long time in Linux terms, and a lot of Linux distros fall by the wayside; I've seen it happen even to ones I thought highly of (like Libranet). Puppy not only hasn't done so but has gone from strength to strength, becoming not only one of the very best distros out there but easily the most lovable.

Barry, thanks for all your hard work and good luck with whatever you do next. I know I speak for a lot of people here when I say I owe a heck a lot to Puppy and hence to your vision and hard work.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Tman

#30 Post by Tman »

Barry,

The the first version of Linux I owned was Red Hat back in 1999. But I hardly used it and uninstalled it shortly after. Then in late 2010, I tried Linux Mint which, I thought was pretty nice. Then I tried Puppy Linux, and I must say, I wasn't too fond of the looks. But it was so fast and lightwieght, I was hooked. I figured, that if I spend the time to learn to tweak it, I will have something fast, lightweight and with better looks. Well...I had no idea I would spend so much time "tweaking" Puppy. Even after trying so many various other distros, it was Puppy Linux that I would always come back to and it was with Puppy Linux that I found the motivation to learn about remastering, theme-ing, compiling, etc.

It is still Puppy Linux that I love the most, so a big THANK YOU VERY MUCH! , Barry for all that you've done. It would sad to see you dissappear from the community completely. Perhaps you can start a blog about your new adventures with Arm-gadgets and other interests. Or perhaps you could just pop into the forum every once in a while. Anyhow, whatever you do, I wish you peace, happiness, and fulfillment.

Take care, Barry! :D

mavrothal

#31 Post by mavrothal »

Thanks for everything Mr Kauler.
Puppy was fun and knowledge for me the last 4 years.

Hopefully this herd of cats will be able to continue on the trail of the dog and foster its puppy to grow.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

dawg

#32 Post by dawg »

Dear Barry Kauler - if you're reading this (hopefully do) -

Thank you for all your hard work on Puppy, and thanks for creating it, in the first place!
I may have been among the ones who tend to complain, more often that not (and sometimes I misword things or express myself improperly, but I'm among the ones whose first language isn't English), but it's also because I'm amongst the many who'd like to see Puppy prosper also in the "mainstream", as it deserves better recognition (and with some minor "improvements"/adaptations/"polishing" - perhaps XFce, that may well happen), so again, I'd like you to know that the simplicity, usability, modularity, as well as speed and small size (and surely some other things that I forgot to mention here) of Puppy are much appreciated, and I'm with the thousands of people (happy Puppy users and developers) worldwide who are very grateful for it!!

You've managed Puppy to maturity, and it certainly is a project that's a valuable contribution to humanity, something to be very proud of and what's become of it!
So now that you feel you should move on, that's perfectly fine, others will take over (hopefully, organizedly and in unison - together we're stronger! - Puppy power!! Move over, Bill Gates!!) :D
And I/we wish the best of luck to you on your journeys, wherever they may take you!

A good woof on ya, mate! (said with Australian accent) :D

- 'dawg' of .si
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

Ray MK

#33 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all - (what dawg said) could not have said it better myself.

Very best regards and a massive thank you for all you've done.

Hope the future provides properly for you and that you have lots of fun with your new phone etc.

Again - all the very best - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.