Can HD Chubby Puppy run from RAM like CD Puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
EarlSmith

Can HD Chubby Puppy run from RAM like CD Puppy?

#1 Post by EarlSmith »

I just installed Chubby Puppy to HD and everything went without trouble. Even Grub installed easily. Two questions.
With everything on HD, is the ramdisk no longer used?
Would it be possible to load everything into ram just as we do with CD? Since HD is faster than CD, the loading of ram would be faster than with CD.

Freedom

Re: Can HD Chubby Puppy run from RAM like CD Puppy?

#2 Post by Freedom »

EarlSmith wrote:I just installed Chubby Puppy to HD and everything went without trouble. Even Grub installed easily. Two questions.
With everything on HD, is the ramdisk no longer used?
Would it be possible to load everything into ram just as we do with CD? Since HD is faster than CD, the loading of ram would be faster than with CD.
Forgive me for asking possibly a very obvious question, but what is chubby puppy?
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Freedom wrote: Forgive me for asking possibly a very obvious question, but what is chubby puppy?
Freedom,
You need to read the News page, Chubby is announced, 19th July.

raffy

Good question

#4 Post by raffy »

A good question. It seems to be a choice between using Puppy from (1) live CD, or (2) hard disk (a Linux install). Let me try listing what one does to get into each choice:

LIVE CD - Run from CD or install to a FAT partition (Puppy loads to RAM)

HARD DISK - Install Puppy to a Linux partition (Puppy does not load to RAM???)

Now Barry is working on another config that saves work in RAM and all changes to a flash drive at shutdown.

Given version 1.04, which one would you recommend to speed this up: "load everything into ram just as we do with CD"?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Freedom wrote:Forgive me for asking possibly a very obvious question, but what is chubby puppy?
See Barry's News page; also Lobster's post, for a link to the Puppy104 Wiki page.

Freedom

#6 Post by Freedom »

BarryK wrote:
Freedom wrote: Forgive me for asking possibly a very obvious question, but what is chubby puppy?
Freedom,
You need to read the News page, Chubby is announced, 19th July.
LOL Good one :D

Thanks to all for the answers. I see now what it is. I will have to try it since I am partial to OO.o.
www.gnu.org
www.PCCleanUp.US

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Good question

#7 Post by Lobster »

raffy wrote:
LIVE CD - Run from CD or install to a FAT partition (Puppy loads to RAM)

HARD DISK - Install Puppy to a Linux partition (Puppy does not load to RAM???)
The CD is bootted up and Puppy goes into Ram
The HD is booted and Puppy goes into Ram

Puppy always runs in and from RAM - Barry has a page on his website: How Puppy works,

If there is insufficient memory THEN Puppy will run partly from a HD swap file.
This is why even though you may have 64 meg Ram (sufficient to load Standard Puppy) 128 meg is better as it leaves rooms for files and add ons
etc.

Knoppix swaps from CD into ram and then runs. It is slow because programs have to be found on the CD, pulled off it and loaded into Ram. In a similar most distros have to take their running programs from HD into ram.

Because Puppy programs are small, this is unneccessary.

We do not look for small efficient programs for any other reason.

When I first found working Linux desktop distros, I found something working differently but certainly not any faster than Windows for most practical tasks.

Puppy worked in a way I was reasonably familiar with and a lot faster. It is Linux the way it should be (or rather the way I expected)

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D