Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 09:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Trouble installing Adobe Reader in Fatdog64 521
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
npierce

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 08:49    Post_subject:  

The filenames in my /usr/lib/gconv/ directory are all the same as those in your usr/lib/gconv/ directory. (And you have one additional file: ISO8859-9E.so)

To see if they are 32-bit, enter this command:
Code:
file /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so

If they are 32-bit, then your problem likely lies elsewhere.

If they are not 32-bit, then you have to install the 32-bit versions in the appropriate location for FatDog to find them when running 32-bit applications. I don't know where you would need to put them, but, of course, you don't want to overwrite the 64-bit versions.
Eathray

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 09:32    Post_subject:  

Good catch,

They are 64 bit, according to the output from that code.

I have no idea what to do next.

Are the correct 32 bit files in the wrong place, or do I not have them?

If I have them, do I need to link to them? copy them into this location?

Eathray
npierce

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:30    Post_subject:  

Try this command:
Code:
find / -name UTF-16.so

It will display /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so, which we know you have. If it displays any others, check to see if they are 32-bit.

My guess is that you don't have any others.

Again, I have no 64-bit hardware, so cannot experiment with Fatdog, and so do not know where to install the 32-bit compatibility libraries or what else might be necessary to allow AdobeReader to find them on Fatdog. But if you ask in a Fatdog thread, perhaps Kirk, jamesbond, or a Fatdog user could explain how 32-bit compatibility works with Fatdog, and where the appropriate gconv libraries could be found and where they should be installed.

Ideally, you would like to have a 64-bit version of AdobeReader for use on Fatdog, but Adobe doesn't seem to offer such an animal.

If you are unable to get AdobeReader going on Fatdog, you could, of course, boot a 32-bit Puppy for times that you need it, although I understand that that would be inconvenient if Fatdog is your main Puppy.
Eathray

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:34    Post_subject:  

I ran the code and it only returned one entry, 64 bit in /usr/lib64, and so on.

Okay, should I invite some Fatdog people to come over to this thread?

I don't like to intrude on other threads with off topics... Maybe I should pm kirk or james bond?

Eathray
npierce

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 12:48    Post_subject:  

Any of that sounds OK.

Or you could try posting in the general Fatdog64-521 thread (Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)). That would seem to be an appropriate place to ask about how Fatdog64-521 handles 32-bit applications. No one has posted there for over a year, but people may still be watching it.

Wish I knew myself. Anyone reading this thread have any idea?
Eathray

PostPosted: Thu 26 Sep 2013, 14:25    Post_subject:  

npierce wrote:
Any of that sounds OK.

Or you could try posting in the general Fatdog64-521 thread (Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)). That would seem to be an appropriate place to ask about how Fatdog64-521 handles 32-bit applications. No one has posted there for over a year, but people may still be watching it.

Wish I knew myself. Anyone reading this thread have any idea?

Yah, that's the deal is that the 521 thread is very old.

I sent jamesbond a note and asked him if it would be okay to place 1 post in the current fatdog thread requesting help here. I don't want to bring up 521 in the thread for 621-final unless they would be okay with just a one post request for help over here. I'm sure that's where the fatdog folks are... it's a very active thread.

Eathray
chapchap70

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 17:27    Post_subject: Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe this will work  

Hi Earthray,

I am using Fatdog 621 as my main OS and have experienced some of the same issues regarding 32 bit aps not working and not knowing where the 32 bit missing files are supposed to go. I don't know enough to help you to get the Acrobat reader working on Fatdog

Since you have Wine running, Foxit reader might be an alternative to try and is more advanced than the Linux PDF readers. Foxit has things like form filler where I was able to fill in my 1040 one year for my taxes. Hopefully, this will suffice for what your kiddo needs.

Unfortunately, the Linux version is old and doesn't have the features. If you have 5 minutes and want to try to download the Windows version, here is the link.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/downloads/

I had version 5.3 but just uninstalled it and downloaded the new version. I just clicked on the file and Wine installed it and I was able to open it up.

Jamesbond is good and thorough at answering questions when he gets to them but hopefully this helps in the meantime.
Eathray

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 18:00    Post_subject:  

Hi Chap,

Thanks for the reply...

I'm glad I'm not the only one here. Kind of seems like the community could really use a solution to Adobe...

Yah, thanks for mentioning Foxit. I have seen it, but... I have been a little hesitant to try it because if the regular Adobe Reader is limited in Wine (as in, doesn't always render quite right, doesn't always have a handle on security components), how well will a third party do? Yah, I know, all I can do is try it out...

I am almost certain I have seen a .pet or .sfs of Foxit, but I can't remember where... I will have to go look... I would really like to have a native version rather than Wine, but I do have a few WinDoze programs Kiddo must use for school, and fortunately they all work okay.

Thanks again... I'll look into it.

Eathray
chapchap70

PostPosted: Mon 30 Sep 2013, 18:08    Post_subject:  

There are Foxit pets but they are for older versions which doesn't have the newer features. There are no newer native linux versions. That is why I tried Foxit with Wine.

I haven't used Adobe in years because it would crash when I used to use it on Windows more often and it was slow. Foxit is less bloated and from what I can tell, does all the stuff Adobe does.
chapchap70

PostPosted: Tue 01 Oct 2013, 20:06    Post_subject:  

Somebody wrote an article on how to install Adobe Reader for 64 bit Debian Squeeze. I tried it but got the same AsErrException error. Problem for me is I don't know how to install the two libs that the author lists. The automatic method didn't seem to work.

http://www.soslug.org/wiki/install_adobe_reader_in_debian_squeeze_64_bit

Hopefully, this is useful if someone can figure out how to install the libs.

The file is here.
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/unix/9.x/9.5.5/enu/
npierce

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 09:43    Post_subject:  

chapchap70,

Thanks for the link to the HOWTO. That lead me to some libraries in the Debian repository that might work with Fatdog64.

Eathray and chapchap7,

Before trying out some libraries, I would like to verify the location of the library that acroread is choking on. I'm guessing that it is /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so, but, to be sure, it would be helpful if one or both of you would post the output from this command:
Code:
strace acroread 2>&1 | grep -B22 ASErrException | grep open
chapchap70

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 13:16    Post_subject:  

npierce wrote:
chapchap70,

Eathray and chapchap7,

Before trying out some libraries, I would like to verify the location of the library that acroread is choking on. I'm guessing that it is /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so, but, to be sure, it would be helpful if one or both of you would post the output from this command:
Code:
strace acroread 2>&1 | grep -B22 ASErrException | grep open

I just got the number sign (#)... nothing.

I went there with the file manager and clicked "properties". This is what I got:
Quote:
ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.16, stripped
Eathray

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 13:43    Post_subject:  

Oooooh...!!!

I have responses! Very Happy

Okay, I'm working, but when I get done tonight I'll get into this.

Thanks for coming back, guys.

Eathray
chapchap70

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 16:55    Post_subject:  

npierce wrote:
The filenames in my /usr/lib/gconv/ directory are all the same as those in your usr/lib/gconv/ directory. (And you have one additional file: ISO8859-9E.so)

To see if they are 32-bit, enter this command:
Code:
file /usr/lib/gconv/UTF-16.so

If they are 32-bit, then your problem likely lies elsewhere.

If they are not 32-bit, then you have to install the 32-bit versions in the appropriate location for FatDog to find them when running 32-bit applications. I don't know where you would need to put them, but, of course, you don't want to overwrite the 64-bit versions.

Why wouldn't we get a "wrong ELF CLass" error?

Another note; the UTF-16.sol is also located in my /usr/lib32/gconv directory. I'm going to unload my 32 bit sfs (which I believe puts stuff in lib32) to see if I get a wrong ELF class error.
chapchap70

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 19:29    Post_subject:  

From my previous post; probably not surprising to people who know whats what, I got this error when I unloaded my 32bit SFS.
Code:
# acroread
/usr/bin/acroread: line 22: /opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: No such file or directory

When I moved the gconv directory out of lib, (and lib64 automagically) so only the 32bit gconv directory remained, I still got the AsErrException error.

http://randombio.com/linuxsetup101.html

I am thinking this problem has nothing to do with Fatdog, Lighthouse, or anything in the gconv directory. The above link is from 2008. (See Other Problems #6) I don't know where to go to find out which libs are required.

Eathray, Did you try Foxit with Wine? I believe it would be more secure in Wine than Acrobat would be natively. Too bad the latest native Foxit Linux version is <2 when the Windows version is >6.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum