Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rerwin

#2381 Post by rerwin »

Volhout,
Thanks for understanding. Although I doubt we should embellish lupu itself, I favor working toward a separate SFS file containing all of the contributed images and themes. We might still put some of the related tools in lupu, unless it makes more sense to keep them in the new SFS file. I am willing to integrate the contributions into the SFS file and will check the above-mentioned components for that goal.

My "grand scheme" for that is creation of an ISO file containing lupuplus with zdrv and various SFS files, e.g., devx, libreoffice, jre (for libre), kernel source and this new SFS. That way users have all the components to build their specific configuration. I would like to enhance the puppy installer to offer to copy selected SFS files from the CD/ISO, to make that less daunting for new users. Does anyone know of such a tool already created somewhere?
Richard

vicmz

#2382 Post by vicmz »

A possible theme:

Wallpaper: puppysmile-inblue (logo by dejan555)
Openbox theme: Syscrash
Panels (taskbar below, launch icons above): Lxpanel ( no Wbar here 8) )
Icon set: Shining Stickers
GTK theme: E17-gray
Pointer theme: Polar-cursor

About multilingual support:
Something I strongly recommend is that you guys apply the scripts internationalized by rodin.s and port Momanager to Lupu so that langpacks can be made easily. The more languages, the more users. If you are sticking to FBpanel, a gettext version is available here along with some other gettexted apps. If there is something not gettexted yet, you can ask me, rodin.s, or L18L to gettext it. In case you decide to turn Lupu international, using the latest xorg wizard in woof is highly recommended, as translations don't fit in the screen in the current xorgwizard for Lupu.
Attachments
Screenshot_2013-09-26_18_34_03.jpg
(48.7 KiB) Downloaded 1807 times
Last edited by vicmz on Mon 30 Sep 2013, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Puppyt

#2383 Post by Puppyt »

vicmz wrote:A possible theme:
Like like likelikelike :)
That's a great layout, vicmz - my desktop preference to a 'T' :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

goolwa_pup

test 528-6

#2384 Post by goolwa_pup »

Hi all,

I have downloaded the new 5.8.6-6 iso and installed on my thinkpad T43 laptop and my quad core phenom desktop....seems to work very well on both....I have since remastered for both machines with latest thunderbird and firefox and some other stuff further personalising the iso by copying etc and root from the machine into the new remastered iso (during the remastering process) so that it boots all my settings into ram (my personal preference). So far all has been almost perfect on both machines.

Only problem (a problem I have had with many puppies) is Pnethood failing to connect to my wireless PVR easily. I found that Pnethood on slacko worked very well... I dont know if it has anything different in slacko or not but thats been my experience. The newer kernels dont like my realtek USB wireless dongle (8192cu module driver pet from tempestuous) and precise never seems to work for me, failing to boot usually....so I have always fallen back to lupu for these reasons.... So it was great to come to the forums and see lupu has been updated..

Many Thanks to rerwin and all contributors to this project......

In regards to theming.....I like wbar but found it a bit fickle and slow to load on boot..maybe its better now?...but I feel developers of this project deserve to uniquely stamp a new look and feel to the new lucid iso when you feel it is ready for release...Can it be called lupu 6.0 ?

FYI...My friend recently got a brand new dual core asus laptop and came over to show me and was very disappointed at the speed of his machine compared to puppy 5.2.8-6 on a single core 1.86mhz laptop that came from the ark..... :lol:

Keep up the good work

Cheers

“Simplicity is a great virtue but it requires hard work to achieve it and education to appreciate it. And to make matters worse: complexity sells better.

rcrsn51

Re: test 528-6

#2385 Post by rcrsn51 »

goolwa_pup wrote:Only problem (a problem I have had with many puppies) is Pnethood failing to connect to my wireless PVR easily. I found that Pnethood on slacko worked very well
Pnethood uses a network scanning tool call nbtscan. There have often been reports of Pnethood failing to identify certain devices like NAS server boxes. Your PVR probably falls in the same category.

IIRC, Slacko has an improved version of nbtscan, so that is probably why it works. Here are two things to try:

1. Get the copy of nbtscan out of Slacko and drop it into Lupu. But I have not tested this for compatibility.

2. Use YASSM instead of Pnethood. It uses a different scanning tool.

vicmz

Re: test 528-6

#2386 Post by vicmz »

goolwa_pup wrote: In regards to theming.....I like wbar but found it a bit fickle and slow to load on boot..maybe its better now?
With Lxpanel you can have something similar to Wbar but loading instantly, see my screenshots above.
goolwa_pup wrote:FYI...My friend recently got a brand new dual core asus laptop and came over to show me and was very disappointed at the speed of his machine compared to puppy 5.2.8-6 on a single core 1.86mhz laptop that came from the ark..... :lol:
I love it when we don't need to tell anything for them to understand why we like this OS. All they have to do is watch and compare. :lol:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Bert

#2387 Post by Bert »

vicmz wrote:With Lxpanel you can have something similar to Wbar but loading instantly, see my screenshots above.
Exactly! One of the reasons I became a LXDE fan!
Lxpanel can look really plain and uninteresting, but with some simple tweaking, it comes alive, doing what you want it to do!

If anyone doubts the beauty of lxde, have a look at the Trisquel Mini! (just installed it some days ago)

Wonder when jejy69 will be back from swimming the Atlantic...Puppy needs more lx-goodness :wink:
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

goolwa_pup

528-6

#2388 Post by goolwa_pup »

thanks rcrsn51

I will try the nbtscan file from slacko see if that helps with connecting to my PVR.....unfortunately yassm has a similar problem to pnethood for me.....

ahhh ok vicmz.....

I thought that was wbar in your images..maybe I should pay more attention to the text rather than look at images and assume.I blame tv brain rot.....if lxpanel loads quickly thats a better solution than wbar for me and will try it...I hated having my desktop up and running and waiting for wbar to load....but i liked it so i used it for a long time.....

Cheers

rerwin

Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6 disk images updated to 20130930

#2389 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded a set of 4 ISO files labeled as 20130930. They are available at the link at the original download posting, which explains the updates:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

All are identical in function; but some include LibreOffice, either embedded or as an optional SFS file, along with Java Runtime. The file now called lupuplus includes separate SFS files for frugal installation, which leaves it possible to easily upgrade either by merely substituting later releases of those SFS files. BTW, lupu contains a utility that creates an SFS file for the latest release of LibreOffice, so users can stay current as needed.

I thank radky for providing versions of his 5 "Pup" programs tailored for lupu and for making many recommendations for other improvements. They constitute the bulk of the upgrade.

While remastering the image files, I discovered a "missing link". The /root and /etc files in the SFS files were not being copied into the new image! The files in those directories included in installed pet packages do get copied, but not those in SFS files. The simple and consistent solution is to provide ".files" files in /root/.packages similar to those created for pets, but only for /root and /etc. I hope to come up with an automated way of creating them, for inclusion in the SFS creation tools, so that they reside within the SFS file.
Richard

bigpup

#2390 Post by bigpup »

New upgrade for Grub4dos.
grub4dos v1.9
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Atle

#2391 Post by Atle »

As for this thread, I read that his computer has problems with 5.7.1 and not 5.2.8.x

5.2.8 is 486 compatible right?

rerwin

#2392 Post by rerwin »

Atle wrote:5.2.8 is 486 compatible right?
I have my doubts, but would like to ensure that lupu works on pentium II and up, and to make a version that works on the k6 cpus. I think playdayz compiled some programs for i686, so that might leave out the 486s. But if there are only a few such programs that fail in a 486, we could ask someone to recompile them for the 486 level. Richt now, that is more than I can take on.
LarryHenry wrote:it likes 5.2.8 so that is what I am using and will stick with until the newer 5.7.1 stabilizes and Matures
Thanks for pointing that out, atle. I interpreted "New one" to mean 5.2.8.6, but now see he clarified that in the end.
R

Volhout

Trisquel Mini

#2393 Post by Volhout »

Bert wrote:
vicmz wrote:With Lxpanel you can have something similar to Wbar but loading instantly, see my screenshots above.
Exactly! One of the reasons I became a LXDE fan!
Lxpanel can look really plain and uninteresting, but with some simple tweaking, it comes alive, doing what you want it to do!

If anyone doubts the beauty of lxde, have a look at the Trisquel Mini! (just installed it some days ago)

Wonder when jejy69 will be back from swimming the Atlantic...Puppy needs more lx-goodness :wink:
I tried Trisquel mini, appart from the beautiful wallpaper it is (although 200mB smaller !!) not really different from Lubuntu. They replaced Chromium with Midori ... Good thing is (did not test a lot) that their app installer works.

I do like the suggestion for LXpanel, but I am not sure it is in line with what Rerwin is trying to do. He just want's to bring 528 up to date. I am not sure how complicated such an update is, and what the associated risk is (to get everything stable again).

Bert

Re: Trisquel Mini

#2394 Post by Bert »

Volhout wrote: I tried Trisquel mini, appart from the beautiful wallpaper it is (although 200mB smaller !!) not really different from Lubuntu. They replaced Chromium with Midori ... Good thing is (did not test a lot) that their app installer works.

I do like the suggestion for LXpanel, but I am not sure it is in line with what Rerwin is trying to do. He just want's to bring 528 up to date. I am not sure how complicated such an update is, and what the associated risk is (to get everything stable again).
Hi Volhout,

I agree, the task Rerwin is undertaking is about the essential stuff and, in his own words, not about the embellishments...I got carried away with the -as always- enthusiastic post and screen print by vicmz. :wink:

Speaking about vicmz, I would like to add my support for his proposal to "back-port" (is that the right term?) Momanager and internationalization! A lot of work has been done by Barry, Rodin.s, L18L, vicmz and many others to get Puppy into a visible position on the global scene.
It just wouldn't be right to go back to the old 'english-only' days.

One last thing: Trisquel...it is not a slimmed down Lubuntu, it is Ubuntu LTS, carefully pruned and fine-tuned and then they added LXDE...It is beautiful, not only because of the wallpaper, but also because it just needs 70MB of RAM (of 2000MB in my case). Show me another, equally modern distro able to do that!

And one very last and very off-topic thing: Being a Dutch-speaking person, I love your forum name as an ex- sailor and woodworker! 8)
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

James C

#2395 Post by James C »

rerwin wrote:
Atle wrote:5.2.8 is 486 compatible right?
I have my doubts, but would like to ensure that lupu works on pentium II and up, and to make a version that works on the k6 cpus.
At least on my particular k6-2 box, Lucid is a no go,refuses to boot. However there is always Lucid Retro with k-2.6.30.5....runs fine on the k6-2. Fine but a tad slow. :lol:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 627#521627
Last edited by James C on Wed 02 Oct 2013, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#2396 Post by James C »

Purely for informational purposes.....

Code: Select all

i386     -     Intel i386/80386   (in 1985)          or          AMD386 / AM386 (in 1991)

i486     -     Intel i486/80486   (in 1989)          or          AMD486 / AM486 (in 1993)

i586     -     Intel Pentium         (in 1993)          or          AMD-K5 (in 1996)

i686     -     Intel Pentium Pro (in 1995)          or          AMD-K6 (in 1997)

James C

#2397 Post by James C »

I thought Lucid would run on this old box........

Posting this with Dillo.

-Computer-
Processor : M II 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
Memory : 121MB (64MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Wed 02 Oct 2013 07:32:11 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ES1938 - ESS ES1938 (Solo-1)

-Processor-
Name : M II 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
Family, model, stepping : 6, 2, 4 (VIA Cyrix III (M2 core))
Vendor : CyrixInstead
-Configuration-
Cache Size : 0kb
Frequency : 250.11MHz
BogoMIPS : 500.22
Byte Order : Little Endian
-Features-
FDIV Bug : no
HLT Bug : no
F00F Bug : no
Coma Bug : no
Has FPU : yes
-Cache-
Cache information not available
-Capabilities-
fpu : Floating Point Unit
de : Debug Extensions - I/O breakpoints
tsc : Time Stamp Counter and RDTSC instruction
msr : Model Specific Registers
cx8 : CMPXCHG8 instruction
pge : Page Global Enable
cmov : Conditional Move instruction
mmx : MMX technology
cyrix_arr : Cyrix ARRs (= MTRRs)
up : smp kernel running on up

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.33.2 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Thu May 27 10:56:32 EST 2010
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.52

sh-4.1# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 121152 117436 3716 0 15608
Swap: 530136 1824 528312
Total: 651288 119260 532028
sh-4.1#

darry1966

Re: Lucid Pup 5.2.8.6 disk images updated to 20130930

#2398 Post by darry1966 »

rerwin wrote:I have uploaded a set of 4 ISO files labeled as 20130930. They are available at the link at the original download posting, which explains the updates:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 108#726108

All are identical in function; but some include LibreOffice, either embedded or as an optional SFS file, along with Java Runtime. The file now called lupuplus includes separate SFS files for frugal installation, which leaves it possible to easily upgrade either by merely substituting later releases of those SFS files. BTW, lupu contains a utility that creates an SFS file for the latest release of LibreOffice, so users can stay current as needed.

I thank radky for providing versions of his 5 "Pup" programs tailored for lupu and for making many recommendations for other improvements. They constitute the bulk of the upgrade.

While remastering the image files, I discovered a "missing link". The /root and /etc files in the SFS files were not being copied into the new image! The files in those directories included in installed pet packages do get copied, but not those in SFS files. The simple and consistent solution is to provide ".files" files in /root/.packages similar to those created for pets, but only for /root and /etc. I hope to come up with an automated way of creating them, for inclusion in the SFS creation tools, so that they reside within the SFS file.
Richard

Seems to work well with Seamonkey 2.21 installed video played well. Sound and Video work well except for fullscreen on this older machine. Some Lucids - earlier ones had sound issues.

Htop showed 105 meg ram without anything open. Mini version 5.2.8.6.

Probably the best Lucid for machines like mine is 525 retro.

LOVED the new Wallpaper they are gorgeous.

Thank you rerwin and team for your efforts.

Machine: Sempron AMD 3000 1 Gig ram

mikeslr

Modernizing Lupu

#2399 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Volhout:

"- Unmounting by clicking on the disc icon on the desktop. Slacko and Precise have this, when you click on the top right corner of the drive icon, it unmounts. In 528 I have to right-click an select "unmount" in the list.

- a terminal program where I can "cut and paste" with the same shortcuts as I can in other programs (either ctrl-C, ctrl-X and ctrl-V, or rightclick copy and rightclick paste)."

+1

vicmz:
"With Lxpanel you can have something similar to Wbar but loading instantly, see my screenshots above."
and because it can be set to "hidden" only showing up when moused-over, it overcomes the problem wiith wbar: being covered by windows.
But I'd ask vicmz to do some investigation as I couldn't simply install jejy69's lxpanel into Lupu.

mikesLr

mikeslr

Modernizing Lupu

#2400 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Volhout:

"- Unmounting by clicking on the disc icon on the desktop. Slacko and Precise have this, when you click on the top right corner of the drive icon, it unmounts. In 528 I have to right-click an select "unmount" in the list.

- a terminal program where I can "cut and paste" with the same shortcuts as I can in other programs (either ctrl-C, ctrl-X and ctrl-V, or rightclick copy and rightclick paste)."

+1

vicmz:
"With Lxpanel you can have something similar to Wbar but loading instantly, see my screenshots above."
and because it can be set to "hidden" only showing up when moused-over, it overcomes the problem wiith wbar: being covered by windows.
But I'd ask vicmz to do some investigation as I couldn't simply install jejy69's lxpanel into Lupu.

mikesLr