How to get printer working? (Solved)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
pakt

How to get printer working? (Solved)

#1 Post by pakt »

freke wrote:This is just to say thanks with your help and patience, I am now running puppy 2.1 on a recordable dvd and it is excellent, but I still need to get my printer working with memory measured in nanoseconds I do need a printer, if someone will handwalk me through the installation I will be ever so grateful.
Freke
Hi Freke,
I'm only coming up to 60 in a few years, so you got me beat ;)

I hope I can help you with your printer.

- First off, download my CUPS printer 'dotpup': http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/cups ... v0.2r1.pup and put it in /root

- Also download the attached .ppd file that (hopefully) will work with your Epson Stylus D88 and also put it in /root

- Open a rxvt terminal (click on the 'Console' icon) and unzip the .ppd file like this:
# gunzip stp-escp2-d88.5.0.ppd.gz

You should now have the file 'stp-escp2-d88.5.0.ppd' in /root

- Ok, you are ready to install CUPS and your printer. Open the ROX file manager (click on the 'Home' icon). It should open directly in /root.

- Click on cups-install-v0.2r1.pup and a small window will open. Just follow the directions to install CUPS and your printer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck,
Paul
Attachments
stp-escp2-d88.5.0.ppd.gz
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times

freke

#2 Post by freke »

Thanks Paul, it may take me a while but as soon as I get it sorted I'll let you know.

Ted

freke

#3 Post by freke »

Thanks Paul,
When I looked at the instructions you gave me I did 2 dummy runs and learned a lot then I went through it today and had to select the Epson C 84, the result was a big smile on my face great stuff.

Ted
:lol:

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

Good to hear it! Glad you didn't have any problem with my instructions or the software. Installing a printer in Puppy has been rather complicated up to now. The 'dotpup' is my attempt to make the process a whole lot easier - apparently I succeeded :)

Paul

raffy

nice to hear

#5 Post by raffy »

That's nice to hear - congratulations!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

freke

#6 Post by freke »

I upgrade to 2.14 and all went well as far as I can judge apart from my printer, I tried a reinstall from the CUPS file and nothing happened when I tried to us Paul's dotpup but the system would not recognise it.

Ted still rather thick